Bought 2 GTX 280 brand new and both overheat 105C+

cow

Limp Gawd
Beware, I have just went through 2 GTX 280. The first one was a PNY brand and that thing would reach 105C easily in furmark as fast as 30secs. The 2nd one I got was a BFG OC version and that damn thing did the same exact thing!! what a nightmare, Nvidia please kick yourself in the ass WTF man...now I am on my 3rd GTX 280 and I load at 80-90C under intense furmark, but wtf how many runs do you expect us gamers paying big money for your Nvidia stuff and you guys just pwned us like that... :mad:

That honestly sucks! Way too many reports on this issue for it to be coincedent. Did the card overheat durin gaming or just with furmark?

these are all done with furmark first, then a test in AoC and then Crysis. ;)

so, does it start artifacing, or hang, or dump its drivers? is 105c anywhere near some kind of limit that the manufacturer has imposed on the hardware?

100C = 212F or boiling water so no that is not low.

Somebody fukked up 360 style on the overheats.

Now that is hot. the solution is put 2 of them in sli and put a piece of bread between them and wala a toaster. With no heating coild.

My 9800GT has these temp numbers in GPU-Z v. 0.2.7
GPU 72*
GPU 63.5*
PCB 56.*

Fan speed is 37%
Fan Speed is 845rpm.

I am not sure if these are normal or high numbers, but this is just me sitting here surfing the net.

Do these issues happen to the 260 as well? or are just the 48xx and the gtx280 the ones that seem to have the issues?

this issue seem to happen to almost 50% of the GTX 280 stock that are out in stores.

my gtx 280 idled in the high 40's.. not sure on load because I had to return it as the video signal kept going on and off over and over.

i believe the GTX 260 should have no problems, it is the batch of GTX 280 that I keep hearing problems from, there is a poll at nvnews.net forums that list as high as 50% overheating rate. So if anybody wants to buy a GTX 280 make sure you guys buy it from a refundable store.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115423

btw, the cards that hit 105C right away will not make a full run of 3dmark vantage, it crashes about halfway.

What power supply? I think it could possibly be an issue of not getting stable voltage...

Do these issues happen to the 260 as well? or are just the 48xx and the gtx280 the ones that seem to have the issues?

i upped the fans on my 4870 crossfire to 40%, and they are 42c idle, and go to 65-70c at load. that doesnt seem very hot. the stock fan speed at idle is 10 or 12%, tho.

got a working one at the 3rd try now runs 80C load, these GTX 280 are luck of draw beware!

Back