What games utilize quad core cpu's now and which do you know will in the future?

Scheibler1

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm about to upgrade my cpu to an e8500 or q6600 and figured a thread like this could give everyone in my situation an idea.

Only quad core optimized games that I know of are:

Crysis
Supreme Commander

Not sure about any upcoming games or older games lol

I found an interesting page that lists the support for x64, DX10 & multi-cores.
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=smp64_apps

Games
Supreme Commander - two or more cores
Alan Wake - two or more cores / DX10
Bet On Soldier: Blood Sport - 64bit
BioShock - two or more cores / DX10
Codename: Panzers (Phase one) - 64bit
Colin McRae Rally 2005 - 64bit
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay - 64bit
Dreadnought - 64bit
Far Cry - 64bit
Fahrenheit - 64bit
Half-Life 2 - 64bit
Lost Coast - 64bit
Quake 4 - dual core only
Shadow Ops: Red Mercury - 64bit
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl - 64bit dual core
Unreal Tournament 2004 - 64bit
World of Warcraft - 64bit
WWII Tank Commander - 64bit

Applications
Autocad 2008 - two or more cores / 64bit
Photoshop - two or more cores
Windows Vista - two or more cores / 64bit
It seems that its not fully updated at the moment though.

Edit: A somewhat, more updated list http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33902850

==================Quad Core=====================================
Alan Wake - Ground up quad core support.
Bioshock (Unreal Engine 3) - Quad core support.
Call Of Duty 4 - Ground up quad core support.
Company of Heroes - Ground up quad core support
Crysis - MP Beta Dual Core support, full game ground up Quad Core support.
DiRT - Ground up quad core support (up to 8 cores reported).
Flight Simulator X - Quad core support with patch.
Lost Planet - Ground up quad core support. (octa core support as well).
MOH: Airborn (Unreal Engine 3) - Ground up quad core support.
Supreme Commander - Ground up quad core support.
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion - Quad core ground up, can use 5 threads.
World in Conflict - Ground up quad core support.
Unreal Tournament 3 (Unreal Engine 3) - Ground up quad core support.
==================Dual Core=====================================
Age of Empires 3 - Dual core support.
Call of Duty 2 with 1.01 smp patch - Dual Core support
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars - Native dual core support (possible quad, need confirmation).
EVE online - Dual core (possible quad core, need confirmation)
Falcon 4.0 - Some Support, extent unknown.
Galactic Civilizations II - Dual core support.
Gothic 3 - Dual core support.
HL2: Orangebox - Dual core support
Stalker - Dual core support with 1.0004 patch.
Quake 4 - Dual Core with patch.
Titan quest + Titan quest Immortal Throne - Dual core with patch.
World of Warcraft - Dual Core with patch.

I'm fairly sure Quake4 was patched to use 4 cores?

*edit*

God no, this is wrong, it was patched to use dual core, that was waaay back when I was trying to justify getting an expensive dual core and quake4 was the only game that supported it ^_^

As far as I can tell from 2 sources, dual core is about as far as Quake 4 will go fully patched.

well if Oblivion was designed for QuadCore from beginning and WarHammer Online uses same engine is WAR better off with Quad over Dual ? Any bench marks

Crysis uses my Quad as much as wordpad does. That list just follows developer claims apparently, and not reality. In fact, going into the game and disabling two cores affects the game in no way, not even during intense physics sequences.

well I picked up a Q6600 just in case games start to use the extra cores. It was the same price as the E8500

Games will faster than you think. I got my x2 long time ago with it was still "the new thing" over the FX single core gaming series. In just 1 year my x2 less than half the price of FX perform better in most games.

Crysis uses my Quad as much as wordpad does. That list just follows developer claims apparently, and not reality. In fact, going into the game and disabling two cores affects the game in no way, not even during intense physics sequences.

qft, I also know for a fact supcom does the same thing, they are multi-threaded but not optimized in any way. go to the gpg forums and look up "core maximizer", user created affinity manager that handles the game threads better than gpg ever bothered to, there is an example of the difference between real and fake multi-core apps. most "multi-core capable" apps just let the os handle affinity, filling them up from 0-n until they spill over, instead of spreading them out in parallel, which is pretty much a waste and almost the same as single.

play some "multicore" games and watch the usage with rivatuner osd or something when you get your quad. most of the time you're going to see proc0 getting hammered at 100% while the rest of them are nearly idle.

So far Supreme Commander is the only game I've seen that makes a quad worth having. Most people are only getting dual core processors, so I don't think we'll see many games that really take advantage of quad core for awhile. Maybe after the next generation of console games come out.

So far Supreme Commander is the only game I've seen that makes a quad worth having. Most people are only getting dual core processors, so I don't think we'll see many games that really take advantage of quad core for awhile. Maybe after the next generation of console games come out.

core maximizer doesn't count since it's not part of the game, if you're not running it with supcom then your other cores are not really being used. gpg didn't even bother trying to fix this after someone went to the trouble of doing it for them. my point from above being that as of now the performance you are seeing in this game is because of a faster cpu in general, not actually multiple cores. like if single core conroe/kentsfield/yorkfield existed and you used that instead, you would see no difference in gameplay from the dual/quad configs they are in now. try shutting off 2 cores, I bet you'll see the same frames and sim rate.

is oblivion and for that matter the engine it uses multi-threaded? i know there was some threading options in the ini file but not sure if they actually did anything much.

Back