Gigabyte Sponsored EP45-DS3R/GTX 260 review

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblescivic

Limp Gawd
Spressa from Houston-Imports.com wanted to run his ATi HD4870 against my lowly 8800GT, I ramped up my game to a GTX260 for my monster build.

System Specifications:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00ghz @ 4.05ghz
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme with Arctic Silver Ceramique & Lian-Li 120mm fan
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R v.1.0 motherboard
Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 896mb 576mhz
G.Skill DDR2 2GBHZ DDR2 800 @ 4-4-4-12, DDR2 900
2x Western Digital Velociraptor 300gb drives in RAID 0 128k Stripe
1x Western Digital GreenPower 1tb drive
Seasonic M12 700w PSU
Lian-Li PC-7B Plus II with window
Lian-Li Media Card Reader
Lian-Li Floppy Drive Bezel

here she is boys...
1gtx260.jpg

damn, that's a pretty box
2gtx260.jpg

here's how the card came... out of it's static bag of course.
3gtx260.jpg

accessories
4gtx260.jpg

check out the caps they put on the card to protect the ports! so awesome!
5gtx260.jpg

here's the card with the driver disc on top of the black cardboard box it came in.
6gtx260.jpg

check out that clearance on the top HDD! i had to move the top HDD forward by 1/2" just to get the GTX 260 to fit.
7gtx260.jpg

sooooooo close... but well worth it!
8gtx260.jpg

wires cleaned up.... fkn beretta.
9gtx260.jpg

the computer put together
10gtx260.jpg

blue matches the video card and all of the Gigabyte motherboards!
11gtx260.jpg

12gtx260.jpg

the same hot asian chick telling me to install my drivers...
13gtx260.jpg

benches will be unleashed on next post!

Source games done at 1280x1024 with high settings.

297.13 fps in Half-Life 2: Lost Coast Stress Test
LostCoastStressTest.jpg

514.25fps in Counter-Strike:Source Stress Test
CSS-Stress-Test.jpg

ATi what? same specs on the cpu and the GTX STOMPS the 4870... where you at spressa?
3dmark05vs4870.jpg

my 3dmark06 with the GTX 260
3dmark061.jpg

compared to an E8400@ 4.14ghz with an HD4870.. i guess that's the end of the debate.
2dmark06vs4870.jpg

Gigabyte was gracious enough to allow me to review their card which has been nothing but amazing in performance...

Hopefully I'll be able to get some more goodies to test out when Nehalem drops.

In my honest opinion, at the 300 dollar price point... you simply CAN NOT beat the GTX 260 for performance dollar

for dollar. It's significantly faster than my old 8800GT SC (of course) and it's faster than the HD4870... ATi/AMD

need to start hiring intel's engineers to get their company back in order. If their stock price gets any lower I

think they might just shut down operations. =]

You can actually get GTX 260s for significantly less than $300 right now.

MasterOfTheObvious.jpg

well at the time i was sent the card, the price point was 300 bucks. computer part prices fluxuate daily... sometimes hourly. you should know that if you build tons of rigs.

So much for a non-biased point of view. :rolleyes:
You call it a "review", you might as well call it an nVidia commerical.
Then you proceed to show numbers from three things nobody gives a fuck about, CS:S, HL2, and 3DMark.
Knowing damn well that the numbers the 4800 series put up in 3Dmark don't show what it can do in games, and who the hell gives a shit about the source engine anymore, it was great for its time but it is old now.

For a single card review, without providing comparitive benchmarks against other competing products, I actually find this informative.

You've provided information which others could use to gauge performance from their particular system configs.

Thanks for the info! :)

Man, I am going to pawn off my 4870x2 and get a GTX260 after this amazing review!:rolleyes:

What an awesomely crappy review. Source and 3Dmark? Oh wow, that's truly a great way to gauge performance. I like nVidia more than ATi myself, but this is simply ludicrous.

Mission failed. Try again.

Not a good review try again.

What the fuck are YOU smoking???

What an awesomely crappy review. Source and 3Dmark? Oh wow, that's truly a great way to gauge performance. I like nVidia more than ATi myself, but this is simply ludicrous.

Mission failed. Try again.
Triple quoted for truth.

Honestly, this isn't a very good review.

lol

So many a$$holes. No this is not a review.

He is happy as hell with his setup and this is just a quick little e-peen post.

Still, why hate? What good does it accomplish? Just say glad you like your setup bro, how bout some warhead benchies?

Be easy. Turn off the flamethrowers.

Thanks for not listening.

Oh, and nice looking setup btw. Very clean.

the animae graphics on GPUS these days is getting old and annoying

i went out of my way to purchase a more expensive 4870x2 pair to avoid the silly ass cartoon stickers the slather all over crap these days.

no one cares about the box, its like vynil stickers all over uncle bens riced out imports with a fart pimp and park bench mounted on the trunk, they don't make it any faster.

those coiling sata cables look like a major pain in the ass.

1280x1024 benchmarks are about as useful as the current US president

i seriously hope you didn't use the cd drivers, there out dated before the card even ships.

currently its nvidia who need to rethink their lineup, not ATI for once, even nvidia partners were not impressed getting the "new" 216 core 260 card as a "new" (cough re badged) product.

the 260 is a good card however, but right now the 4850, 260, 4870, 280 are all good cards depending on your needs and budget and preference, weve known this for a few months

This is a review, as a company sent him a card to 'test out' and this is what he came up with. Utter failure is all I see.

If only [H] did reviews like this /

Then you proceed to show numbers from three things nobody gives a fuck about, CS:S, HL2, and 3DMark.
Knowing damn well that the numbers the 4800 series put up in 3Dmark don't show what it can do in games, and who the hell gives a shit about the source engine anymore, it was great for its time but it is old now.

i provided screens from futuremark with the GTX 260's direct competitor. i tried to instally crysis to run the benchmarks yesterday but there was an error with my disc and i don't have warhammer yet. i don't know what's wrong with you people on this forum, i'm proud of what i do and if you can do better than me then good for you. now i remember why i stopped posting here asshole.

For a single card review, without providing comparitive benchmarks against other competing products, I actually find this informative.

You've provided information which others could use to gauge performance from their particular system configs.

Thanks for the info! :)

i did, i compared it to the HD4870 in 3dmark05/06. take a look at my screens.

Not a good review try again.

flamer.

lol

So many a$$holes. No this is not a review.

He is happy as hell with his setup and this is just a quick little e-peen post.

Still, why hate? What good does it accomplish? Just say glad you like your setup bro, how bout some warhead benchies?

Be easy. Turn off the flamethrowers.

Thanks for not listening.

Oh, and nice looking setup btw. Very clean.

this is my first review, if people want to flame me, idc i'll just post it on sites where people take pride in their hard work instead of flaming everyone. i feel like i'm in a linux MIRC channel or a WoW server. btw, fuck WoW

the animae graphics on GPUS these days is getting old and annoying

i went out of my way to purchase a more expensive 4870x2 pair to avoid the silly ass cartoon stickers the slather all over crap these days.

no one cares about the box, its like vynil stickers all over uncle bens riced out imports with a fart pimp and park bench mounted on the trunk, they don't make it any faster.

those coiling sata cables look like a major pain in the ass.

1280x1024 benchmarks are about as useful as the current US president

i seriously hope you didn't use the cd drivers, there out dated before the card even ships.

currently its nvidia who need to rethink their lineup, not ATI for once, even nvidia partners were not impressed getting the "new" 216 core 260 card as a "new" (cough re badged) product.

the 260 is a good card however, but right now the 4850, 260, 4870, 280 are all good cards depending on your needs and budget and preference, weve known this for a few months

i don't know what your problem is with my case, it's cleanly wired and it took me 2 seconds to coil those wires instead of having shit all over my computer. i don't know where you're from but us red-blooded Americans down here in Texas take pride in our work and don't want messy ass fucked up looking computers. i've built over 50 c2d/q's that clock much faster than my 24/7 on air, which is why i'm sponsored by Gigabyte and G.Skill. you're right all those cards are nice, but you're still a dim-witted liberal so your opinion means shit to me. Sarah Palin for VPilf!

i just don't understand the "society" you guys have here, all you do is flame people on this fucking site, if you have a problem with my review... give me constructive criticism. otherwise, go fuck yourself.

*throws in a jumbo bag of popcorn*

Things haven't been this "hot" since BigCactus....this should be good, bookmarked!

i don't know what your problem is with my case, it's cleanly wired and it took me 2 seconds to coil those wires instead of having shit all over my computer. i don't know where you're from but us red-blooded Americans down here in Texas take pride in our work and don't want messy ass fucked up looking computers. i've built over 50 c2d/q's that clock much faster than my 24/7 on air, which is why i'm sponsored by Gigabyte and G.Skill. you're right all those cards are nice, but you're still a dim-witted liberal so your opinion means shit to me. Sarah Palin for VPilf!

i just don't understand the "society" you guys have here, all you do is flame people on this fucking site, if you have a problem with my review... give me constructive criticism. otherwise, go fuck yourself.

Dont recall saying anything about the case aside from coiled cables, it is clean.

People don't appreciate a 1 sided sponsored "review" comparing to nothing really its some pics of "look what i got" might have been better off titling it something most along the lines of a new setup or something

id imgine the vast majority of people on the forums have built and overclocked plenty of computers, if you've built and overclocked 50 your probably in the average of these forums

Im in Canada, you know where them texans think we live in igloos, live with polar bears and know jaque from Quebec, and coming in Windsor and exiting Niagra is "driving across Canada" to most americans

and id have to agree, the only use anyone has for palin is the VPilf comment. lol

sweet looking job on the case.

now if you'll excuse me, i have some offs to fuck, eh.

Here is your constructive critisism ( I'll probably misspell alot, deal with it)

-Did you have the 4870/50 or geforce 280 to compare benchmarks? Cause it looks liek you just compared them from someone elses benchmark ( shame on you)
-Your title says mobo and GPU review, I see nothing about the Motherboard.
-Your review is all pictures with no content. See [H] reviews with how it should be done
-Being your 1st 'review' I wont even saying anything about not having the current games to run benchies on. But thats a huge no no
- Attacking CanadaOwnsJoo with "but you're still a dim-witted liberal so your opinion means shit to me. Sarah Palin for VPilf!" is horrible unproffessional, remember we are the audience. Does Kyle or [H] lash out when someone doesnt agree with their reviews, no.
-I've been all over the net and [H] is by far the best place to come for any advise related to computers. I don't see 'the society' you speak of, but I suppose I am just one of Kyle's sheep that washes my hands too much.
-
-

I agree up to a certain point with you...i don't care about ati,nore nvidia..i just care about performance..thats just me..

but where you said "who the hell gives a shit about source engine" ? are you just stupid or are you playing the stupid role ?

I do give a fat load of shit especially on CS:S .. for your info, counterstrike and counterstrike source are the number 1 choice in computer games on a competitive level..
so i think that A LOT of people do give a shit about the source engine.

I agree up to a certain point with you...i don't care about ati,nore nvidia..i just care about performance..thats just me..

but where you said "who the hell gives a shit about source engine" ? are you just stupid or are you playing the stupid role ?

I do give a fat load of shit especially on CS:S .. for your info, counterstrike and counterstrike source are the number 1 choice in computer games on a competitive level..

Source also is way more CPU intensive than GPU, so its null IMO

Obviously, the OP needs some schooling. You REALLY must be "fair and balanced" lest the pit bulls dig into your crotch.

Nice build. Glad you like it. Deal with the criticism and come back with a more complete review.

Be easy ya'll.

Dude, if you dont want to get flamed, dont post something entirely one sided, not properly comparing products, entitled "review" with comments along the lines of :

he felt it was right to arm me with the one of the best ATi crushing tools available.

ATi what? same specs on the cpu and the GTX STOMPS the 4870... where you at spressa?

compared to an E8400@ 4.14ghz with an HD4870.. i guess that's the end of the debate.

In my honest opinion, at the 300 dollar price point... you simply CAN NOT beat the GTX 260 for performance dollar for dollar.... it's faster than the HD4870... ATi/AMD

If you want to use comments like that, do benchmarks which actually represent reality. Not 2 old source games (which weren't even compared to the 4870) and an old benchmark tool (that was not compared properly, ie. same system just swapping out the video cards and nothing else).

I'll tell you why you're getting all of the flaming.

This is not a review, this is "look what a sponsor provided me ass kissing"

It isnt a review, it is a commercial.

Having owned the HD 4870 for several weeks and now owning a GTX 260, I would have to say I like the GTX 260 better, but it's not much better. Is it better price-performance? I guess that depends on what you paid.

I just ran Lost Coast at the same settings (all HIGH 1280 x 1024) without any HDR and only scored 216 FPS. So I call bollocks on the OP.

Interestingly, I scored 206 FPS at 1680 x 1050 with full HDR no AA or AF.

My E6850 @ 3.6 scores almost exactly the same in gaming benchmarks as an e8400 @ 3.6 GHz. Going to 4.05 Ghz with boost the synthetic benchmarks a bit...but gaming benchmarks should remain relatively the same.

Also, the first 3dMark 06 score the OP presents is being shown like it's a single GPU score. It's obviously a saved ORB result....and there's no way that's a single GPU. Those scores have to be SLI and Crossfire. (*edit* ok that first windows is 3dMark 05, my bad.)

The second and third ORB result windows the OP displays....the second one is 3dMark06 scoring over 15,000 3dMarks....which is about right for a single GTX 260. The third one is Vantage with "Duo HD 4870s" and it's over P12,000. I'm not sure but I think the OP was trying to compare a 3DMark06 Single GPU score with a Vantage Dual GPU score? Is that right? hmm....

Dont recall saying anything about the case aside from coiled cables, it is clean.

People don't appreciate a 1 sided sponsored "review" comparing to nothing really its some pics of "look what i got" might have been better off titling it something most along the lines of a new setup or something

id imgine the vast majority of people on the forums have built and overclocked plenty of computers, if you've built and overclocked 50 your probably in the average of these forums

Im in Canada, you know where them texans think we live in igloos, live with polar bears and know jaque from Quebec, and coming in Windsor and exiting Niagra is "driving across Canada" to most americans

and id have to agree, the only use anyone has for palin is the VPilf comment. lol

i said i've built and overclocked over 50 c2d/q's i've built and overclocked everything from PII/K6 to C2D/X2. when you assume you make an ASS our of U and ME

sweet looking job on the case.

now if you'll excuse me, i have some offs to fuck, eh.

thanks man!

Here is your constructive critisism ( I'll probably misspell alot, deal with it)

-Did you have the 4870/50 or geforce 280 to compare benchmarks? Cause it looks liek you just compared them from someone elses benchmark ( shame on you)
-Your title says mobo and GPU review, I see nothing about the Motherboard.
-Your review is all pictures with no content. See [H] reviews with how it should be done
-Being your 1st 'review' I wont even saying anything about not having the current games to run benchies on. But thats a huge no no
- Attacking CanadaOwnsJoo with "but you're still a dim-witted liberal so your opinion means shit to me. Sarah Palin for VPilf!" is horrible unproffessional, remember we are the audience. Does Kyle or [H] lash out when someone doesnt agree with their reviews, no.
-I've been all over the net and [H] is by far the best place to come for any advise related to computers. I don't see 'the society' you speak of, but I suppose I am just one of Kyle's sheep that washes my hands too much.
-
-

i guess you are just a sheep then, i acheived a 9.968 SuperPi 1m on that board, and i guess i left that out too. here's my shot... that's the same setup with the same cooling only difference is the video card. i didn't have a 4850/70 to review so i searched futuremark for 4.05ghz clocked E8400 with 2gb of ram and that's what came up. maybe my next build will have a 4870x2 in it, but i doubt it.

4680359.jpg

damn right! i run the Houston-Imports.com Counter-Strike:Source clan and Source is still alive and kicking. performance is what matters! find me a 4ghz X2 that will beat my E8400 and i'll buy it or find me a card that's the same price as my GTX 260 that's faster and i will get that. i doubt AMD will come out with anything anytime soon to beat what's coming from intel in Q3

How am I a sheep? Your the one who posted a "Motherboard and GPU " review and didnt post anything about the motherboard. You sir are just an ass, I was giving you a review of your review cause you asked for it, and you rip me for giving you information that you forgot? You must be a sad sap. You call everyone here out cause they are bashing you and tell them you want criticism. But when I make a pretty good post about what you could do better with, you call me out? Kettle.... Black.... enough said.
For all we care you can never come back and noone will care/

9.968 is on par for 4.6 ghz this isn't anything special

low 500 fsb isnt hard to hit, my e8400 on p45 asus maximus formula II did it just fine

1.64v , your CPU wont last long, looks like real temp showing 73 max temp which is awful high for a c2d e8400, only ran mine at 4200 but 1.4v, and hit high 50's under load.

try occt and see if it passes the 1 hour default test, and what the temps are like, odds are you'll be throttling your way though all the cpu tests.

and please tell us you were using the easy tune software just to find the settings in windows your stable at and not actually used it for your "50+ over clocked c2d's"

When you have built and oced 50 C2Ds and your a badass that calls anyone who points out problems a sheep.

that motherboard is awesome!
i had built a few systems with that mobo and the amount of USB's is helpful
haha i just love it, and the GTX260's are a very powerful card on a budget

Did the op really just try to review a card using the drivers from the CD?

CS:Source and 3Dmark... wow, that's some hardcore benchmarking.

9.968 is on par for 4.6 ghz this isn't anything special

low 500 fsb isnt hard to hit, my e8400 on p45 asus maximus formula II did it just fine

1.64v , your CPU wont last long, looks like real temp showing 73 max temp which is awful high for a c2d e8400, only ran mine at 4200 but 1.4v, and hit high 50's under load.

try occt and see if it passes the 1 hour default test, and what the temps are like, odds are you'll be throttling your way though all the cpu tests.

and please tell us you were using the easy tune software just to find the settings in windows your stable at and not actually used it for your "50+ over clocked c2d's"

the only time i use ET is when i am doing max FSB runs to break 10's, remember i'm also in one of the hottest states in the nation and i use air cooling. i usually run my e8400's at 450-475x9 depending on how good the cpu is for 24/7 daily use, usually between 1.375-1.425vCore we all know not all cpu's are created equal. just wait til i get my copper and aluminum blocks on the lathe.

+1 TF2 FTW :D

Yes source is still played by a lot of people, buit that is't the point here.
the source engine is CPU intensive and wont push any new graphics card at all, that is my point. Who cares if I can get 250 or 300 FPS in CS:S, it doesn't mean anyting.
The engine still looks "good" but it is old and doesn't compare to new shit.

Sarah Palin for VPilf!

Now I know you are a dumb ass.
Please tell me you don't what that moron bitch to be VP and end up President once McCain old ass dies?
She is a friggin lunatic!!

Republicans won't be getting my vote again any time soon.
I voted for that stupid monkey George W "Dumb Ass" Bush twice and those are two votes I wish I could have back.
Now we have more of the same McCain and a lunatic that thinks God's plan is for us to destroy the Middle East...LOL, oh boy there is an idiot born every minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back