Gigabyte EasyTune pwned my RAID array (don't do what I did :p)

Z

Zinn

So I was dicking around with Gigabyte EasyTune, just because I was bored. Running everything at stock speeds. There's this little feature called CPU Intelligent Accelerator (CIA)

Engrish said:
Dynamically overlocks CPU Frequency according system loading

o rly?

There are 6 settings: Disable, Cruise, Sports, Racing, Turbo, and FULL THRUST.

Wow, that sounds cool. So I click "full thrust," my PC promptly hangs and refuses to boot. After several failed boot attempts and realizing that "full thrust" had been saved into the BIOS, I disabled it and found that my RAID array had been knocked out of existence.

Luckily I was running RAID-1. The array is re-initializing right now. If I had been running RAID-0, I would have lost everything.

I guess we all know already that these Windows-based overclocking tools are pretty stupid, but it's news to me that you can potentially do serious and permanent damage with one simple click. So I guess this is just a warning. Don't be a fool like me. Just say no to Gigabyte EasyTune.

BTW this P45-DS3r board is pretty much awesome.

Congratulations and THANK YOU for participating in the Beta Tester's Program! Please forward your report to the Gigabyte EasyTune QA department. Oh wait, they don't have one. Sorry. :p No really, thanks for the warning. :D I never thought people who'd use raid would try easytune, hehe. But yes, luckily you were running RAID1.

This actually has nothing to do with the EasyTune software. I'm no fan of the software at all but it wasn't the real cause.

The problem you have run into is a normal problem with regards to overclocking. It's well known that an unstable overclock can mess up data on a hard drive and a RAID array is no different.

It's well known that an unstable overclock can mess up data on a hard drive and a RAID array is no different.

No doubt, but I was always under the impression that these motherboard-controlled overclock utilities were designed to be idiot proof and not cause damage. Kind of like overclocking for people who are afraid of messing something up if they do it themselves. I guess not!

Gigabyte's EasyTune is idiot proof to the extent that if used once, even an idiot wouldn't use it again. :)

Earlier versions were absolute crap. The latest version is "look but don't touch." BIOS works, use that.

I've never once read of anything but failure when using things like EasyTune. I still used ET6 and had very few problems with it. Only big changes in fsb caused things to lock up that would have been fine when set in the BIOS. I think I'm the luckiest gigabyte customer ever. ;) I find it useful for what it claims to be for: tuning. Try out some settings in the BIOS and if your stress test fails (and your OS is still up) then tweak voltages & try again. You can save quite a bit of time in longer OC sessions. I don't bother with it's load/save stuff and when I find stable settings I remember them and reboot immediately to save them in the BIOS. I never had problems tweaking fsb by <15-25 at a time so I also used it to find max fsb @ the current voltages.

Back