4870 heatsink and pwm heatsink?

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
so there is the update
I ordered an accelero twin turbo, and some extra pwm sinks just incase!!!
they came and I installed it.

card + package it looks very small :D
DSC06616.jpg

Card + heatsink comparisons
DSC06638.jpg

All Ram/PWM sinks on tight ready to install the twinturbo
DSC06639.jpg

Here she be all finished and ready to install.... or so I thought!
DSC06644.jpg

so I booted up, loaded gpu-z, GREAT! gpu temp is 44deg, sounds good, vrm's are all at 66-69

I load up furmark, the gpu gets to 54, good good, what, wait? the vrms are at 140deg now :| something isn't right, i shut it down, pull the card, reseat the heatsinks on the vrms, same problem!!!! I change them to a diff type some swiftech 8800vrm sinks, it brings the load temp down to 111-120deg, still too high for a 10sec load of furmark. at this point I touched the heatsinks and they were very hot, as in not touchable, I figured it was too much of a load.

So I thought and I thought, and I started to think I would just take the cover off of my original ATI heatsink, as I took it apart I realized something!!!

I thought I would install an ATI approved VRM heatsink!
DSC06648.jpg

If I had thought about this, I could have used my accelero S1 instead of buying a new hs =( bye bye $60

the plate off of the stock ati heatsink works perfect cheap and great solution.
DSC06649.jpg

and the winner is!!
DSC06650.jpg

good god anyone wanna buy an S1 rev 2 :p?!
lol
now idle temp
idle.jpg

load temp
furmark5min-1.jpg

so the pwm cooler is crap on it =p?
can't i just strap the Rev 2 onto my 4870 with a 120mm fan on it and get that pwm cooling kit, i'd rather not spend $80

I just ordered those ramsinks from sidewinder computer :) I had the same style for my 8800GT and I loved them. I didn't know they had any for the 4870. It will go nicely with my new artic cooling twin turbo and 4870 1 gb card :)

I said fuck it to those ram / vrm sinks, if you read the info, it says it doesn't cool all of the chips that require cooling, I got the twin turbo, ncix shipped it out today, i also got some extra sinks fro the left over vrms that neither seem to cover.

Just installed the Twin Turbo on my 4870 :) This thing rocks! I have it set to 50% fan speed and its still dead silent I can't hear it at all. And best of all my temps are far better than I expected.

Idle : 44 Load: 62 That's lower then idle with the stock cooler :)

Best $40 I ever spent :) and its also plugged into the card so its nice and neat...

Just installed the Twin Turbo on my 4870 :) This thing rocks! I have it set to 50% fan speed and its still dead silent I can't hear it at all. And best of all my temps are far better than I expected.

Idle : 44 Load: 62 That's lower then idle with the stock cooler :)

Best $40 I ever spent :) and its also plugged into the card so its nice and neat...

nice. i just want to set it to 1 speed, and not worry about noise or it overheating =p

Well that's exactly what I did I just made a profile in CCC and set it to 50% and whenever I start windows it starts up automatic :) With the new 8.10 drivers coming out they have built in support for fan control so no more profiles after the 8.9 drivers. Here is a picture of the custom ramsinks and vrms sinks I'm getting tuesday..

http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=4870test038va5.jpg

Would two of these fit next to each other if there's only one slot between them?

In other words, this cooler is only dual slot, right?

What VRM's are you talking about? The only ones on the 4870 are the ones covered by that red strip. Even the artic cooling vrm sinks only cover that part. And when using gpuz the vrm temps are only like 60 idle which is nothing. Maybe I'm missing something...

What VRM's are you talking about? The only ones on the 4870 are the ones covered by that red strip. Even the artic cooling vrm sinks only cover that part. And when using gpuz the vrm temps are only like 60 idle which is nothing. Maybe I'm missing something...

here, read the note

http://www.petrastechshop.com/cuhdcokitbyi.html

Note: There are additional components on the HD4870 video card that need cooling which the iandh custom ramsinks do not have contact with, so we strongly recommend when using these heatsinks to keep some form of air flow moving through the computer to keep them cool.

there are little chips at the end of the card part of the pwm setup i guess, that require some sort of cooling. Neither sets cover these, but the original HS does? (will find out soon) so I bought some extra chips to cover it up,
btw why did you get the second pwm / mem sinks the ones that come with the twin turbo are more then sufficient

Wow I didn't even see that. I've been running the card without that no problems at all and my temps are excellent for bot the GPU and the VRM's Maybe because I have 2 fans blowing on them at 50% it doesn't need it, but my VRM's are much much cooler than even stock...

hmm my gpu temp is awesome, 55 at load with fan on a silent setting, but my VDDC slave 1-3 are going up to 140deg c. is this normal?

No that's not normal.I think those are rated up to 120 max. what are they idling at? Mine are idling at 65 for 1-3 and load about 85 My idle temp for my gpu is 47 right now, but its also about 75-80 outside right now..

No that's not normal.I think those are rated up to 120 max. what are they idling at? Mine are idling at 65 for 1-3 and load about 85 My idle temp for my gpu is 47 right now, but its also about 75-80 outside right now..

64-67 idle, its weird i cleaned them all, i even tried using diff pwm sinks now it's about 105-110 using furmark. but why would it be so hot, the sinks didn't even feel that warm 0.0

The only thing I can think of is with the twin turbo its blowing cool air onto the vrm's at 40 cfm, so that and the heatsink would make it mighty cool. Do you have any air blowing directly onto the vrm's?

The only thing I can think of is with the twin turbo its blowing cool air onto the vrm's at 40 cfm, so that and the heatsink would make it mighty cool. Do you have any air blowing directly onto the vrm's?

yup, It's all in an antec 1200, lots of air flow, even with the fans at max the temp didnt' change, my room is pretty cold 10-14deg c i'd say =p and the comp is right next to the window ^^

this is weird though, I dunno I'm gonna try something and see what happens brb

I did flash my card and upped the V to 1.276 or w/e I wonder if the increased load is too much

I tired re-seating, I tried new heatsinks(diff design) I can't figure out wtf is going on, I got it down 20deg by changing it to the smaller swiftech 8800 pwm sinks, but thats still 120deg

ok update! pics coming soon with explanation
but I am now a ninja by my own standards :p!

pics uploaded and thread updated :) enjoy! problem solved too

cliffs:
use S1 Rev 2 if you have already
use ATI stock heatsink plate after you take it apart
= great solution

sorry to break your spirits =(
how about an S1 with a fan blowing from the end of the card?
Thought about it. The bottom card's heatsink would be pressed right against the bottom of the case. I'm just not sure it would get enough airflow.

alright well i had the same problem with my dam VRMs and stickon sinks not cutting it sooo i rigged up a HR-09-Type2 Mofset sink on my VRMs and boy are they cool now! lol
the other parts they say that need cooled but not sinked are the 2x pulse and 1x vitec chips. alittle air over them and your fine.

*edit, BTW make sure you rename your furmark.exe to something else, the newest 8.9/8.10 ATI drivers have a hack to lower the load it puts out so you dont kill your card due to VRM heat*

pics
2861646019_dcfa1202d8_b.jpg

2861645557_0e10a2d7b5_b.jpg

2861645797_f8a5d442f6_b.jpg

2861646761_933f03d9b2_b.jpg

120 Sec Furmark (NOT RENAMED EXE!)
2863776046_d0c1087605_b.jpg

120 Sec Furmark (RENAMED EXE!) Notice the AMP and Temp diff on the VRMs
2862943271_8130774747_b.jpg

this card is hawt 0.0
so far I've pushed it up to 850/1100 using furmark to test for it crashing if i rename it the pwms go up way to much past 110 lol even with my modified super-sink(put ramsinks on the stock ati plate to cool it better) it pulls over 85a @ 850/1100 with the program renamed, and alot less with it on stock!

850.jpg

That furmark hack is pretty shady if you ask me.

I hadn't heard about it before.

That furmark hack is pretty shady if you ask me.

I hadn't heard about it before.

while I agree, I also don't care.. crysis which puts my gpu usage to 100% doesn't even get the card that hot. so I'm guessing furmark is a special case.

Back