Akasa Vortexx Neo VGA Cooler and 4870 fit

papagiannakos

Weaksauce
Hey all,

Does anyone have this VGA cooler installed on their 4870? I'm trying to find out if it covers or blocks any of the ram chips that the stock cooler takes care of. I know there's plenty of results with this cooler and the 4850 but I haven't seen much specifically with it and the 4870.

I heard it is much quieter at a higher fan speeds than the default 4870 cooler (I have a Visiontek), and cooler as well -- though I need to know if it leaves any ram chips uncovered, and if those uncovered ramchips are reachable to place ramsinks over.

At 30% the default 4870 is easily the loudest fan in my case, it becomes non-audible at 20% and below, which is fine for idling but goes above 70 easily while gaming. I figure I'd try this cooler out since it's cheap if I could get some more info on it, and I like that it blows air out the back still...not really comfortable with letting all that heat dissipate inside the case with the other coolers.

Cool, thanks for the links. Think I'm going to pick this up with some ramsinks for the 4870

EDIT: Well, actually, I think I'll it some more thought. Found a new mini-review of this cooler with the 4870, these particular results weren't so great: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=5821448

And certainly additional ramsinks are necessary...it may not be worth all that money spent when the 4870 stock cooler does fine.

I'm really just concerned about lowering the noise somewhat, at 30% it is the "loudest" fan in my case (not distractingly loud, but just the most audible) but the stock cooler is quite quiet when considering the amount of air it moves.

Back