nothing but probs with new 4670

cannondale06

[H]F Junkie
this is the first ATI card in years and I am about to return it and never touch them again. I have used a 7600gt, 8600gt, 9600gt, and 8800gt in this same computer with not one single problem.

ok the 4670 installed just fine but now there is no audio. in fact it says "no audi output device is installed".

next the few games I tried are much slower than the 8600gt it replaced. sometimes the framerate drops in the single digits especially when turning quickly in games.

please help...

I'm guessing you installed the HDMI driver for it? If so, it adds a new audio device (HDMI output) from your video card, and would be set as the system default. Go back into your control panel, and set your audio device back to your soundcard (or onboard, whatever).

As to framerate - sounds like a driver mismatch. You ran driver cleaner to get rid of the nVidia drivers, right? nVidia's uninstaller...well, it doesn't actually work very well.

I'm guessing you installed the HDMI driver for it? If so, it adds a new audio device (HDMI output) from your video card, and would be set as the system default. Go back into your control panel, and set your audio device back to your soundcard (or onboard, whatever).

As to framerate - sounds like a driver mismatch. You ran driver cleaner to get rid of the nVidia drivers, right? nVidia's uninstaller...well, it doesn't actually work very well.
okay I tried to set my audio device back to onboard sound and got one blue screen after the other. how do I actually uninstall or disable the HDMI output. there wasnt one single thing that mentioned it was getting installed when installed the ATI drivers. also I see nothing about the HDMI device any where on the driver cd or in the control panel.

That is because it is a standard now. here are the steps. Go to control panel, sound panel, playback tab, and highlight the hdmi audio, right click and disable. Then highlight your onboard sound and set that as the default.

That is because it is a standard now. here are the steps. Go to control panel, sound panel, playback tab, and highlight the hdmi audio, right click and disable. Then highlight your onboard sound and set that as the default.
thats what I tried to do earlier and it caused the blue screens. now it shows no audio devices in the sound panel. if I go to device manager it shows onboard audio and and unknown device. :confused:

did you uninstall your onboard sound drivers? Go to control panel, system (skip if you have vista), device manager, highlight the tab at the top, right click, scan for hardware changes. Then find your onboards sound and update the drivers.

did you uninstall your onboard sound drivers? Go to control panel, system (skip if you have vista), device manager, highlight the tab at the top, right click, scan for hardware changes. Then find your onboards sound and update the drivers.
I uninstalled then reinstalled the realtek drivers and it still says no audio output device installed. scanning for changes does nothing. also my computer is slow as hell for the first few minutes ever since I installed the ATI card and drivers. any more advice on getting the audio fixed? if I cant figure it out tonight the Nvidia card goes back in and stays there.

did you do a driversweep to make sure you had no nvidia drivers left on. I hate to say it, but I am an electronic technician for the military, and one thing they teach you is that most problems on equipment is 90 percent user error and 10 percent actual hardware. Being out in the fleet for a little while and I can tell you that this statement runs true.

tried a restore and still couldnt get the "no audi output device is installed" fixed. I had to do a fucking reinstall of windows and now Im back to the HDMI being my audio output again which means no sound. how the hell do I get sound using this HDMI crap or how do I go back to onboard sound if I cant use HDMI? :mad:

well audio prob has been fixed. went into bios and set onboard audio to "on" instead of the default "auto" setting. of all the searching I did no one even mentioned that so I give myself a freaking cookie. I sure wish I would have figured that out before reinstalling the OS though. lol

I will test out some game once I get everything loaded...

I also know I will need some basic advice on using the CCC so any suggestions would be appreciated.

You still haven't mentioned if you ran Driver Cleaner yet. If not, go into safe mode, run it on both NVidia AND ATI, clear everything. Then, reboot and load the ATI drivers.

Now, that said, I have never used DC on my machine, switching between card willy-nilly. I've never had issues, but there are some people who will have corrupted drivers after simply reading this post. It's odd how that works.

You still haven't mentioned if you ran Driver Cleaner yet. If not, go into safe mode, run it on both NVidia AND ATI, clear everything. Then, reboot and load the ATI drivers.

Now, that said, I have never used DC on my machine, switching between card willy-nilly. I've never had issues, but there are some people who will have corrupted drivers after simply reading this post. It's odd how that works.
thanks for trying to help but I dont think you even read anything before replying. the audio issue has been fixed from the bios and Vista was reinstalled before I figured out that solution. I dont care for Driver Cleaner but its a non issue since I am now on a clean OS install. Ill test games later after everything gets installed.

he reinstalled windows and then turned his intergrated audio to ON in the BIOS and that resolved his problems it would appear

edit: dang it op beat me too it :p

completely resolved?
the audio issue has. I cant test any games now since I have crap loads of Windows and and other updates to install and then the games themselves.

before I reinstalled Vista I only got 27 fps in the Crysis gpu benchmark with all medium at 1024x768. those same settings got me 35 fps on the 8600gt. also Warhead and UT3 were worse on 4670 than the 8600gt. hopefully things will go better this time around after a fresh install.

well Crysis is still much slower in the gpu benchmark than the 8600gt. I think its an issue with running in windowed mode though and maybe the 4670 is not running full 3d clocks. :confused:

well I just checked and it is running the right clocks even in windowed mode so thats not it.

also 1280x960 is not showing up as an available resolution in any games like its supposed to. I have a crt and that option has always been thee before so it must be driver or ccc issue.

well Crysis is still much slower in the gpu benchmark than the 8600gt. I think its an issue with running in windowed mode though and maybe the 4670 is not running full 3d clocks. :confused:
Check your clocks using CCC or ATI Tray Tools. Also make sure you're running the 8.9 Cats.

Check your clocks using CCC or ATI Tray Tools. Also make sure you're running the 8.9 Cats.
post was edited. also I cant run the 8.9 drivers. only the 8.523 drivers that came on the CD work and they are also the same ones that all 4670 reviews have.

what are your cat settings? eg is vsync halving your framerate?

just double check and make sure that AA /AF etc.. are turned off..

i agree though that does seem low, i just checked guru3d.com's review and they averaged 44fps (no idea of max/min etc..) on medium with no AA and 16x af... not sure if its the same as your benchmark..

what are your cat settings? eg is vsync halving your framerate?

just double check and make sure that AA /AF etc.. are turned off..

i agree though that does seem low, i just checked guru3d.com's review and they averaged 44fps (no idea of max/min etc..) on medium with no AA and 16x af... not sure if its the same as your benchmark..
vsync is off and in fact I have nothing turned out that will hurt peformance. the card will overclock to 860/2330 but I will leave it at 800/2110 for the highest oc just to to be safe. in fact in older games I will leave it at the stock 750/2008.

so far the Crysis benchmarks are the only ones that seem out of whack. Clear Sky way more than doubled in performance over the 8600gt in DX9 Enhanced settings. FEAR went from 109 fps to 140 fps with the same settings at 1024x768(crt).

Im going to reinstall Warhead and a few other games and see how they go...

post was edited. also I cant run the 8.9 drivers. only the 8.523 drivers that came on the CD work and they are also the same ones that all 4670 reviews have.

Could try the Cat 8.10 beta's. They have 4670 support. Here are my Crysis Warhead benches with the same card:

warhead2.jpg

warhead1.jpg

Could try the Cat 8.10 beta's. They have 4670 support. Here are my Crysis Warhead benches with the same card:

http://exophase.com/images/warhead2.jpg
http://exophase.com/images/warhead1.jpg
I think Ill wait a few more days until they are official. for me Warhead is about 7 fps better than the 8600gt at the same mix of med/high/very high settings I was using.

I was just getting content with the card but now the driver just randomly stops working while watching videos..........

okay this card HATES DX10 at least in original Crysis

HD4670 1024x768 DX9 all medium.... 42.95 FPS
HD4670 1024x768 DX10 all medium... 31.50 FPS
8600GT 1024x768 DX10 all medium... 35.20 FPS

HD4670 1024x768 DX9 all high..... 32.73 FPS
HD4670 1024x768 DX10 all high... 25.75 FPS

yep it hates DX10 in Warhead too

HD4670 1024x768 DX9 all mainstream.... 41.27 FPS
HD4670 1024x768 DX10 all mainstream... 30.19 FPS

what a waste of money and time considering one of the main reasons I upgraded was for better Crysis performance. I hope newegg doesnt charge a restocking fee for a card that clearly sucks at what it was designed to do especially with DX10 Crysis.

the things I have noticed about this 4670 card that makes me unhappy is that the performance is all over the place. sure the averages may be much higher than the 8600gt in every game but Crysis DX10 but the lows are the same or lower.

in Clear Sky one seconds Im at 80 fps then I turn the mouse real fast or enter a new area and the fps drop to 15-20. in UT3 my framerates dip really low and playability seems worse than the 8600gt. in HL2 Ep2 just turning on the freakin flashlight takes 20-25 fps off.

sorry but my experience has really sucked so far and I think I would be much happier with an Nividia card. I did use a 9600gt for a few days a while back and it did not exhibit such behavior.

Why did you buy an ATI card (beyond the 4870X2) for better Crysis performance? Did you not read any reviews?

Why did you buy an ATI card (beyond the 4870X2) for better Crysis performance? Did you not read any reviews?
did you? I had an 8600gt so of course I should get much better performance with the 4670. all reviews clearly show the 4670 beating the crap out of a 9500gt which is slightly faster than the 8600gt I had. I play at 1024 or 1280 res on CRT so I dont need a 4870x2.

something is wrong as you can clearly see though. the 4670 is WORSE than the 8600gt in Crysis DX10.

did you? I had an 8600gt so of course I should get much better performance with the 4670. all reviews clearly show the 4670 beating the crap out of a 9500gt which is slightly faster than the 8600gt I had. I play at 1024 or 1280 res on CRT so I dont need a 4870x2.

something is wrong as you can clearly see though. the 4670 is WORSE than the 8600gt in Crysis DX10.

Can all HD 4670 owners post their 3DMark06 scores? (You have to use the hotfix to make it work with new cards.)

With an Asus M3A78-EM, X2 5400+, 2GB OCZ "Special Ops" RAM and the HIS, I have a score of 7840.

Can all HD 4670 owners post their 3DMark06 scores? (You have to use the hotfix to make it work with new cards.)

With an Asus M3A78-EM, X2 5400+, 2GB OCZ "Special Ops" RAM and the HIS, I have a score of 7840.
scored a 7717 which seems about right considering my slow cpu. for reference I scored a 5584 on the same sytem with overclocked 8600gt.

I ran a bunch more benchmarks on the 4670 and then reinstalled the 8600gt to do exact comparisons. Its obvious my cpu is killing me but the 4670 still seems very weak even at 1280x1024.

Unreal Tournament 3
The 4670 is actually slightly slower than the 8600gt at 1024x768 with lower minimums. At 1280x1024 the 4670 is 2-3fps faster than the 8600gt but still has lower minimums. Some reviews on the web show the 4670 getting well over 100 fps at but I couldnt average more than 57fps no matter what(yes I turned off the fps cap).

Crysis
I get the same average in DX9 with the 8600gt as I do with the 4670. The 8600gt is actually 4 fps faster than the 4670 when run in DX10. Also the minimums are higher on the 8600gt.

Warhead
Warhead has a bigger discrepancy between DX10 and DX9 for both cards. In other words DX10 is basically unplayable on either card even on mainstream where in DX9 the 4670 has a 3 fps advantage over the 8600gt but once again the minimums are still lower. Only at 1280 and high settings is the 4670 much better but that doesnt really matter because its not playable at those settings anyway.

HL2 Ep1
At 1024x768 4x AA 16x AF and all max settings the 4670 is 2-3 fps faster but again the minimums are still lower. Performance at 1280 was 10-12 fps better with the 4670 than the 8600gt but playability felt no better.

Call of Juarez
Finally a game that actually does a little something for the 4670. At 1024x768 DX 10 no AA and all max settings the 4670 is about 5-10 fps faster on average the 8600gt and finally gets decent minimum framerates.

Clear Sky
This is the ONLY game where the 4670 does much better than the 8600gt. At 1024x768 Enhanced DX9 and a mix of low/med/high settings the 4670 gets more than double the framerate of the 8600gt. Even with the 4670 going to 1280 is not really an option because the game struggles too much at that res with those same settings. One bad thing though was that on the 4670 some things like parts of the fence were missing but on the 8600gt everything was rendered properly.

I am not sure what to do here as only 2 games show improvement. Warhead and UT3 actually feel worse so thats not good. One thing is for sure and that is anybody that thinks cpu isnt important needs their head examined. Before you say turn up the res to get rid of the bottle neck just remember that Clear Sky, CoJ, and Warhead can barely be played on high(or almost high) settings at just 1024x768 with a card like the 4670 in the first place.

Okay I gave the 8.10 beta drivers a try and things are actually worse in the two games I tried them in. UT3 will now dip down to 30fps just running around with only one other person on the map. Warhead now makes quick dips into very low teens even with absolutely no action going on. I am at a total loss trying to figure out how the 8600gt can deliver much better minimum framerates. :confused:

The 7717 point 3Dmark score is the only indication that this card is performing normally but that doesnt really help. I guess Im stuck with this fucking 4670 card unless I want to pay a restocking fee to newegg. :mad:

I guess the reason you're not noticing much improvement is because of the resolution you're using. At 1024x768 I think you're mostly CPU bound. Even putting in a 4850 or 4870 wouldn't do much for you at that res.

I noticed a huge jump with the 4670 from my 8600GT but I used to play all my games at higher resolutions (1280x960+). For instance, HL2: EP2 was basically unplayable on the 8600 at 1680x1050 with 4xAA, while the 4670 handles it just fine.

However, for Clear Sky, it runs smooth for me at 1280x960 on High. The game isn't optimized all that great and eats RAM like crazy so maybe my 4GB RAM is helping here.

I guess the reason you're not noticing much improvement is because of the resolution you're using. At 1024x768 I think you're mostly CPU bound. Even putting in a 4850 or 4870 wouldn't do much for you at that res.

I noticed a huge jump with the 4670 from my 8600GT but I used to play all my games at higher resolutions (1280x960+). For instance, HL2: EP2 was basically unplayable on the 8600 at 1680x1050 with 4xAA, while the 4670 handles it just fine.

However, for Clear Sky, it runs smooth for me at 1280x960 on High. The game isn't optimized all that great and eats RAM like crazy so maybe my 4GB RAM is helping here.
okay maybe you didnt read through all that but the 4670 is SLOWER in some games with the same settings. also even at 1280x1024 the 4670 didnt really improve anything except for Clear Sky and HL2 Ep2. I could understand if it wasnt much faster or about the same but slower makes no sense. :confused:

I am about to install a 9600gt so if I get improvements in games that the 4670 was actually slower than the 8600gt in then its a ATI issue of some sort.

Okay now for the 9600gt.

is it just me or does ATI look better than Nvidia in 2D? maybe my eyes are getting tired but seems like running an Nivida card looks much less vibrant and crisp on the desktop and webpages.:confused:

anyway in UT3 Im getting lower minimum framerates with the 9600gt too. its weird that the 4670 and 9600gt would both deliver lower minimums than the 8600gt. all I can think of is that the overhead of having a decent gpu with such a crappy cpu is causing this. sort of like when people run SLI at low res with a slow or average cpu and get less performance than running a single card.

Call of Juarez is much faster though on the 9600gt than the 4670 and especially the 8600gt. so I guess some games can take advantage of the extra GPU power.

Warhead doesnt dip quite as low as the 4670 and is right where the 8600gt was in regard to minimums. of course overall framerate is higher than the 4670 and 8600gt.

I still need to run a few more benchmarks and play throughs but its time for a break...

I tried UT3 at 12x10 and 16x12. In any case, it's capped at 62 fps but in Shanghai it's like 35 to 50 fps or whatever some cases. But, walking around I might be capped at 62 fps.

UT3 is kind of dependent on CPU as well from what I know. Maybe if I would have chosen the new 3.1 GHz X2 it would have been that much cooler.

In any case, the desktop for ATI might be better than Nvidia. It's hard to tell. I never figured out how to put 120 Hz with 800x600 on my CRT with my Geforce 6600. I can do it with ATI drivers though.

Back