Question about ASUS P5B Deluxe and 8GB of DDR2@800MHu

IvanI

n00b
Hello!

I'm planning to buy 8GB of DDR2@800MHz for my ASUS P5B-Deluxe BIOS v1236.
The RAM in question is this:
G.SKILL F2-6400CL5Q-8GBPQ, DDR2 800 MHz, KIT 4x2 GB
details:
http://newgskill.web-bi.net/bbs/view.php?id=g_ddr2&no=95

I'm going to run a 64bit OS with memory remap enabled. I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to allocate all 8GB BUT...the question is will I be able to run it @ 800MHz (which is the default max for P5B-Deluxe)?
I'm asking you experts this becaue I stumbled upon this:
http://forums.hexus.net/pc-memory/108135-2x4gb-corsair-twin2x-6400c5dhx-asus-p5b-deluxe.html
to be precise, post #13:
You probably found this out by now, like i did just recently when I bought a Asus P5B Deluxe board... but the 8Gb possiblity of the server can only be done on DDR2 PC5400 or DDR PC-5200 RAM (677 or 533 respectively), as the board doesnt support anything more then 4Gb total in PC-6400 RAM.

Also the above configurations will only work with specific manufacturer chips...I put 4 x 1Gb PC-6400 Rambo ram on my board, and it only detects 3Gb.... which sucks big time..... seems the board manufacturer had a marketing agreement with specific ram manufactuers.... no offense to Corsair, as I'm now looking for the required 4 x 2Gb Corsair RAM for the board to get it to 8Gb but my current problem is that ASUS dont provide the details of the supported RAM modules for 8GB.

If you have done this already Agrippa, any advice would be appreciated!

so, what say ye?

P.S. please no "why do you need 8GB of RAM?"
:eek:

What CPU will you be using?
What speed will you be running the CPU at?

I don't know if you'll be able to run all 8GB at DDR2-800. However, if you're not running at a base FSB speed of 400Mhz, then there's no need to run at DDR2-800.

800 mhz will be no problem, why not go for a 2x4 combo or even the 16gb combo? running 2 up allows for easier mem overclocking, 4 up makes it a bit harder. Enjoy

800 mhz will be no problem, why not go for a 2x4 combo or even the 16gb combo? running 2 up allows for easier mem overclocking, 4 up makes it a bit harder. Enjoy
Pretty sure P965 doesn't support 16GB.

Menelmarar is right, P965 Express only supports up to 8GB.

I'll run Intel Core 2 Duo [email protected]
I contacted G.Skill, they said that it works.

No need to run it at 800Mhz then, since your FSB speed is 1066Mhz, your base is at 266Mhz, putting your optimal RAM speed at DDR2-533. Running your RAM OC'd without the CPU is pretty much useless on these Core2 platforms.

/*------------- <cut n paste> -------------*/
Formulas for Intel platform @ 1:1 settings: (base FSB speed is SDR, or single data rate)
c x [Base FSB speed] = CPU speed (c = CPU Multiplier)
2 x [Base FSB speed] = RAM speed (DDR: double data rate)
4 x [Base FSB speed] = FSB speed (QDR: quad data rate; Effective FSB speed)

On Intel platforms, running the RAM higher than a 1:1 ratio with the CPU is, for the most part, useless, so don't bother trying to do so. If the BIOS does it for you, just let it. All you need is a 1:1 config, though. Here's some possible clock speeds (as always with OC'ing, your results will vary):

E6600: 9 × 266 = 2.4Ghz, DDR2-533 << STOCK speeds
E6600: 9 × 333 = 3.0Ghz, DDR2-667 << Nice OC
E6600: 9 × 400 = 3.6Ghz, DDR2-800 << Great OC, near its max on good air

You won't notice the difference between CL4 and CL5, unless you're running benchmarks (and even then, its negligible), so don't pay much of a price premium for lower latency.
/*------------- </cut n paste> -------------*/

Hi Ivanl, I'm just wondering what the outcome was. Were you successful in running the 8GB of G.Skill on your P5B Deluxe?

I'm currently using a P5B Deluxe, E6700, 2x1GB Corsair DDR2-800, and thinking about trying the same 8GB of G.Skill you mentioned (it's dirt cheap). I'm not interested in overclocking anything, but possibly interested in going for a faster CPU at some point like an E8500.

It should work. If you're not OC'ing, then just you should be fine. If it won't work at first, bump the MCH and DRAM voltage slightly -- that should give it the extra juice needed for 4 sticks of RAM.

Sorry to bump an old topic but I have the same motherboard and I've just installed a second 4GB kit.

The problem: While Windows and CPU-Z both detect 8GB, during POST and with WinAudit and Windows Task Manager it only shows 7678MB. So, 512MB are "missing". Yes they're running at PC6400.

Is it normal? Memory remap is enabled of course, otherwise it wouldn't even detect past 4GB.

Back