4850 / 4870 cooling. would like to see pics of your setups

Veedo

2[H]4U
i just picked up a visiontek 4850, and am looking to swap to aftermarket cooling. i have the hr03 or trad2 in mind. i would like to see what you guys are running to keep these things cool. lets see some pics!

i dont have any aftermarket cooling because the stock fan keeps the temp at 47c when @ 30%
figure i dont need it cause its cool enough

321778872_1098551418_0.jpeg

Still working on this build, as you can see I just found a new leak when I took this picture a minute ago.....damnit this video card waterblock is giving me all kinds of fucking trouble.

i dont have any aftermarket cooling because the stock fan keeps the temp at 47c when @ 30%
figure i dont need it cause its cool enough

wow those are nice temps for a stock cooler....what card do you have?

Don't feel like hosting pics so here is the thread for the project.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198272

Can't beat water: 885/1180 @1.4v ~41c load

sweet build! i really would like to go with water someday, but i always say i will do it next year. that is a helluva overclock on the card though!

321778872_1098551418_0.jpeg

Still working on this build, as you can see I just found a new leak when I took this picture a minute ago.....damnit this video card waterblock is giving me all kinds of fucking trouble.

heya deathcloud, your pic isnt showing up :(

Money/space almost no object: HR-03GT with a 92mm fan is best.

Money almost no object: T-Rad2 is pretty damn good. www.hardwarecanucks.com has a review

Space no object ( but money is): Accelero S1 is best bag for the buck. You can mount a 92mm fan or a 120mm fan, but you'll have to figure out the mounting yourself.

Money almost no object: T-Rad2 is pretty damn good. www.hardwarecanucks.com has a review

T-Rad is inadequate for the VRMs on the 4870 and is essentially asking for a cooked card. Also Thermalright refuses to acknowledge this which reflects very poorly on them IMHO. It'd be MASSIVE overkill for a 4850 though :p

Here is my 4850CF with passive Accelero S1s setup (700/1000):

DSC01491_Medium.jpg

DSC01493_Medium.jpg

adrift02 that is a really sweet overclock...I could tell these cards would be golden on water after seeing the stock cooler temp reports.

Dudes. I'm running the STOCK HS/F with no mods (no new paste or anything) at 40% fan, with an OC of 700/1221 (core/ram) and maxing (full load) at 80C. that's well within the operating range. My idle is around 55c ish. I still can barely hear the fan and i'm thinking about putting it up to 50c, since I use my headset most of the time anyway.
The only thing I did was put an 80mm fan on the side of my case (the window area) where most cases already have a fan, mine didn't. It decreased my temps by like 15c.

DSC06648.jpg

DSC06653.jpg

card idles at around 46deg c and load at about 55 800/1100 :) vrms stay around 70-75 also during gaming and 60 idle.

i just picked up a visiontek 4850, and am looking to swap to aftermarket cooling. i have the hr03 or trad2 in mind. i would like to see what you guys are running to keep these things cool. lets see some pics!

with the HR03 you don't need anything else, by and far the best cooler you can use for any video card.

not sure what version you have, but my HR03 A02 works great on my 4850 (i'll picture tonight).. its lasted me through 3 video cards (X1900XTX,8800GT, and now 4850)

the later versions will be even better ..

my HR A02 maxes out at about 44C at load

i have this coupled with the HR01 and it makes for very a very cool and quiet setup..

the only reason i'd vote for the HR03 over the Trad is the fact that the HR03 you can mount it to be on either side of the video card .. this can help on cramped cases or in my case i have a really good airflow setup that pulls through the HR03 into the HR01 and then from the HR01 directly into the PSU exhaust ..

Hey Digital Viper-X,

It looks like you have sinked some component right on the end of your 4870 near the PCI-E power connectors...but I have no idea what it is. Could you elaborate on this sucker please?
what.jpg

Hey Digital Viper-X,

It looks like you have sinked some component right on the end of your 4870 near the PCI-E power connectors...but I have no idea what it is. Could you elaborate on this sucker please?
what.jpg

meh
i had left over heatsinks, decided to sink random chips :p

Digital Viper -X-,
I see you are using the stock red plate to cool the non-gpu chips.
Can you elaborate on why there are the two sets of ramsinks?

they appear to line up with the VRMs that everyone has trouble cooling on 4870's.

Are those stuck on the outside of the plate?

I'm adding an aftermarket cooler to my 4870 and was wondering if you had/knew of a guide for taking apart the stock cooler and/or cooling the tiny VRM space-heater chips.

they are on the VITEC chip? or w/e the ones right net to the VRM. Those get pretty warm too so I stuck the ramsinks on them

the ATI plate already cools the VRM + Memory well enough, I did however stick some extra ramsinks onto the ATI plate for extra surface area after I took that picture :)

man i wish they made that ramsink block for the 4850, that looks sweet zod96!

They are coming for the 4850 as well. The guy that makes them over at extremeforums.com said that is next on his list. So look for them in the next few months. They are a bit pricey but I do like the performance of them and the looks....

now that people have seen you can use the stock ati plate, no offense, why buy a $39 smaller version of it?

well, the 4850 sink is different on mine, so i dont think i can. never taken it apart, so i could be wrong?

I guess it would be just a matter of preference. For me I think the stock heat sink plate looks really ghetto, where as the custom one looks nice and neat. But again its just a matter of choice really. Either one would do the trick...

Before you go plunk money on it, why not try this instead? Im going to give you step by step instructions that should take you about ONE MINUTE to implement and drop your overall temps whether idle or load by 15-20+ degrees:

1) Get RivaTuner.

2) Open it (the first time will take about 30 seconds to create driver database), and click on the Power User tab. A little warning will come up, don't worry, nothing crazy will be done. Go down the list to RivaTuner / Fan and click on the + next to it. Double-click on the first option called AutoFanSpeedControl and change the value to 3 (this basically allows you to change the autofan values). Press Enter and then click Apply.

3) Go back to the Main tab above, and now click on the little arrow/triangle in the second line where it says Customize, then click on the first picture called Low-Level System Settings.

4) At the top, click on the Fan tab. Put a check in Enable low-level fan control, and select Auto (NOT fixed).

5) Scroll down to Duty_Cycle_Min, double-click on it, and change the value from 0 to 30. Press enter and Apply.

6) Don't close it yet! Put a check in Apply fan settings at Windows startup and press Save. Now close it all and reboot.

A couple of minutes after rebooting, the fan will slow down to 30% (that's what the 30 was for), but it will increase the fan incrementally if the temperature rises. To see how the temps are, open RivaTuner, select Customize, and go to the 5th picture/button which will show you a graph of the temperatures. Watch how it holds in idle, and then leave it while running a game or a benchmark. Compare the temps to the previous unmodified values.

My unmodified 4870 temps were 77C in idle and over 90 in load. Now they are around 57 idle and 75 max in load.The fan speed ranges from 30% to 42% and self-regulates.

That is the simplest and easiest way to cool your card down with stock cooling. But its also loud depending on what setting you use. When I tried it, anything over 25% and it was too loud for me. But I'm a silence freak :) The artic cooler even at 75% fan speed is quieter than the stock cooler at 25% fan speed.

Back