[H]orde Spotlight #1 - jfb9301

alan2308

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2008
It is with great pleasure that I present the first of many [H]orde Spotlight interviews. Earning the honor of being the first (by returning his questions first :D) is jfb9301. So without further ado, lets get to it!

First off, tell us about you.
Where do you call home?

Stationed at Pearl Harbor Hawaii. So home is currently Honolulu.

What is your family situation?

Married, with Son

What do you do for a living?

U.S. Navy, Submarines, for the last 17 years.

Does your forum name hold any significant meaning?

My initials, and something else to make it unique.

Did you ever post in the "Let's see your mug... " thread? Why or why not?

I guess if someone wanted a Pic they could check my lonely (0 Friends) MySpace Page.

Lack of access to posting photos online. Plus my own inherent lazyness. I've got plenty of knowhow to make an appache server at home so I could do my own hosting. I just don't wish to goto the trouble to set it up and secure it just to post a photo or two.

What other hobbies or interests keep you busy?

are you kidding?
COMPUTERS
oh and modle rockets and RC Cars

Tell us about your involvement in DC.

I Did RC5 until it was cracked, and then took a break until I folded my first WU about 3.5 years ago.

Who or what got you stated in DC projects? About when was it?

RC5 was a buddy named James. FAH was for the [H]

Why do you participate?

Because it was a good cause. Later I had an Aunt Die of cancer. More recently a close friend of my wife fell to Alzheimers.

If DC'ing could find a cure for just one disease tomorrow, which one would it be and why?

I know you say just one, but it's really hard to not have two for me. I'd go with Alzheimers first. That disease is plain scary and we don't know much about it. Cancer second. We may know a bit about it, but we still have not cured it.

What projects have you contributed to? Any others you find interesting?

I don't have much of a farm so I don't wish to diversify. GPUs have caused CPUs to be greatly under valued so I might switch the CPUs over to the other [H] team, mainly to support the [H].

What teams have you contributed to?

2CPU for RC5.
[H] exclusively for FAH

Why did you choose the Horde?

I've been a reader of Hard|OCP since Pentium I days.

If your current project ends, which one will you move on to?

I see no endpoint in sight. But, I figgure I'll stay with our team and where they go. Probably somewhere in medical research if I don't agree with the choice of our team. Keys were basicly useless and well, why go looking for aliens when there are diseases at home.

Current level of production and how's it spread around?

Mosty one GPU, again CPUs are way under valued.

Where do you see the [H]ard DC sub-forum in the near future?

ummm here? seriously it hasn't changed much in the last 10 or so years, I doubt it will change much in the future.

Long term?

see short term.

Any ideas on improving the [H]ard DC sub-forum, or suggestions or improvements for our Team?

I frankly don't have any ideas that havent been, well, shot down. Kyle gives us far more support than he gives anyone else in the forums. We've asked for more (free subscriptions, exclusive hardware give-aways) and he has his reasons to not provide. I'm sure they are good, and I don't wish to question him on them further.

Tell us about your involvement.
Where did you begin?

2xDual P3 1000@1100, C600@900

What are you running today?

3.6G P4 @ 3.85 w/ GTX 260, 2.8G Cel @ 3.2, AMD 3600+ @ 2600, AMD 1800+ @ 1600, 2G Amd Turion, 2.2 Intel C2D Mobile. I've got a borg 2.8G P4 Northwood @ 3.2 that turns in a WU once in a while, but it's 3000 miles away so I can't keep tabs on it.

Where do you see your DC'ing activities in the next year or two?

GPU, GPU, GPU

Do these boxen have day jobs or are they dedicated folders?

2 are desktops, 2 laptops, 2 server/folder, and that random borg was a second desktop, that never really sees use as what it was built for.

How are these boxen configured? OS, client, etc?

XP Pro, 6.2 for everything but the borg, last I heard the borg was XP Pro, 5.4

Have you been successful borging? If so, what kind of borging worked for you? (For example, friends, family, and/or work?)

Long time Friend.

Thanks jfb9301 for a great interview, and getting the Spotlight series off to a great start. I'm already looking forward to doing Spotlight #2.

Great interview! Thanks for taking the time to do it jfb9301 and thanks for your 17 years of service to our country! Now THAT'S [H]ard!

Semper Fi

Great interview! Thanks for taking the time to do it jfb9301 and thanks for your 17 years of service to our country! Now THAT'S [H]ard!

Semper Fi

Agreed, great interview and nice to see a military contribute to our society ;)

Great Interview and a member of Armed Services to boot.

Since the Post your mug left something to be desired, here is a link to my MySpace page. Maybe I'll find some time this weekend (when I'm not shooting rockets) to put up some pictures of some boxen.

And for the record, Folding and going out to sea on a ship all the time is somewhat incompatable. So I leave the garden running and cross my fingers. Usually something craps out and my wife doesn't always get it restarted, so when I get home I usually have some work to do.

Nice read, and thanks for everything you do!

Folding and military service, being a part of the [H]orde and helping us find a cure!!

Beers and tamales sir, you most definitely deserve em':)

Fold On!!!

For a while there, I was thinking that MaxPC had the market cornered on ex-military type folders. I'm glad to see that I'm NOT the only one here. :D

Nope there are / were alot of ex-military ppl in these forums. Me for one. Congratz jfb9301 and nice to meet you!

I really like this format. Get to actually know things different about ppl on the team that you may not of already or ever of known.

I'm ex-Navy and lefthanded. Just incase you righthanders thought being lefthanded was a myth. :p

oddly I'm left handed too.

more specificly on the job, I work in the engine room of a Navy submarine. So lots of industrial electronics and machinery for me. I've been a "Submariner" for all of my career and could not immagine life on one of those floating things, ships I seem to think they are called, we call them "targets".

As for pictures, try here. Maybe if I have some free time in the near future, I'll post some pictures of my main rig.

Navy life and FAH is not the most compatable. Going out to sea frequently for weeks on end kind of limit my folding. Water cooling is out, too unreliable. I need a cooling solution that I can leave un-attended for over 6 months. Air and good air filters works perfectly. But allas things do crash, and when I am out, my wife doesn't always get it all restarted. Thankfully the only printer I have configured is attached to my main rig, so she will restart that one.

If you guys have other questions let me know.

Great interview jfb9301, you sound like a well grounded person and like many [H]orde members I thank you for folding for the [H]orde and thank you for your service to America. (people like you are needed in the submarine service of any country) :D

Only a suggestion, fold with a fairly inexpensive 8800GS or 9600GSO and use the WCG client with your CPU/s. That's what I do and I ain't got the first complaint. :p

On a side note. Thanks for being the "interviewer" alan2308 ;)

Folding and WCGing for a CURE

Wow 3 military guys all left handed! We should all make a trip to Flanders store!

jfb9301, I saw you were wearing your watch on the correct wrist in your picture is why I brought up I was a lefty also. :D
Majic, good to hear our lefty numbers are a force to be dealt with. :p

I never knew we had so many military people here, I just got out of the Marine Corps in January, I know the navy life also my last deployment was with the 13th MEU, 2 months on the USS Bonhomme Richard, 4 months in Iraq 2 months on the USS Bonhomme Richard:rolleyes: I have also been on the USS Fort McHenry and the USS Essex

I just got done with a 3 yr tour on the USS Los Angeles. On my last deployment we went up agains the USS Bonhomme Richard in a war game. Small world.

I just got done with a 3 yr tour on the USS Los Angeles. On my last deployment we went up agains the USS Bonhomme Richard in a war game. Small world.

was this back in 2007 around San Clemente Island? I remember when we were doing our training on San Clemente Island and our training time on the ship the navy did some thing where they have spotters trying to search for a Submarine and the first person to spot it got to stay in the VIP room for a few days the Captain of the ship announced it over the intercom and everything i guess it was a big deal.

I spent most of 2007 doing ops out of Guam. Playing with the USS BH was this summer during RIMPAC.

Wow 3 military guys all left handed! We should all make a trip to Flanders store!

Make that 4. Marine Corps 1994-1999, and left handed as well.

2.png

I was stationed at Yuma, AZ. The marines didn't know what to do with us squids. :D

Make that 4. Marine Corps 1994-1999, and left handed as well.

2.png

Well shit. There went the neighborhood.

Just kidding. Sadly the Marines have kinda a bad rep in many places I have lived. I lived in Norfolk, VA for a while. Most of the non military generally did not like the military types, but especially the Marines. Kinda a few bad apples spoiling the bunch type of thing.

I was stationed at Yuma, AZ. The marines didn't know what to do with us squids. :D

I went on a field op to Yuma once, being a hmmwv driver sucks ass i had to drive from Las Pulgas all the way to Yuma :mad:

Kowan, you an FMF Doc?
No I was an Aviation Electrician. Thankfully an inside job there at Yuma.
If I had went to the fleet, I would have have carrier duty.

The Marines have a physical test they call a PFT. I was showing off and scored a 295 out of a possible 300.
80 situps in under 2min, 20 pullups, and run 3 miles in under 18mins.
I was doing widegrip behind the neck pullups and only got 19. They told me to kick the wall to climb up to get the 20th, but I didn't want to cheat.

I scored the highest that day and the First Sergeant of the Avionics shop ragged on the Marines for letting a squid best them. :D

They were "Air Wing" so it was pretty decent duty.

WOW! There's a boatload of jarheads and squids running around loose here minus the adult supervision.... ;)

U.ncle S.am's M.isguided C.hildren 1974-1982. Avionics tech (IMA) C-130 radar. Right handed and not ashamed to admit it...

Ooh-Rah!

Well, even if I"m not in the military, my dad is one (Canadian Air Force medic, worked 35 years and now retired, left handed as well). I do know about the military life and I have a lot of respect for everyone who serve the country ;)

btw i am right handed but one of those guys that bats and golfs lefty, does that count?

I was Left-handed.
But I'm now Right-handed.
Does that make me ambidextrous ?? :p

Luck ........... :D

I borged my brother's 8800GT computer. He was a combat engineer in the army 1997-2000. We are both right-handed but he shoots pool lefty

I used to shoot in the USPSA and shot pistols lefthanded and rifle/shotgun right handed.
To me, the most fun you can legally have with a gun. :)
Basically playing cops and robbers on staged targets.
The sport's top shooters were down to earth guys and gals, but looked like well oiled machines doing their thing.

Thanks for the great interview!

17 years on a submarine! thanks for your service to our country. :)

I went on a field op to Yuma once, being a hmmwv driver sucks ass i had to drive from Las Pulgas all the way to Yuma :mad:

Las Pulgas Road? That is where I went to scout camp when I was a kid. They have a nice scout camp and adobe house there. We walked to the beach. My scoutmaster, who I thought was crazy at the time, said we should not go in the water because of unexploded ordinance. Of course we went in the water. Now I think he was right. There probably still is unexploded ordinance on that beach at Camp Pendleton.

I was Left-handed.
But I'm now Right-handed.
Does that make me ambidextrous ?? :p

Yes, I think so! :p

Hahaha, same myself. I'm right-handed but play sport on the left :cool:

I will keep all of my snarky comments about left-handers to myself. (Trying to save myself an ass-kicking.)

p.s. my wife is left handed. This fact explains much about her.

Yea, submarine life can be a bit taxing, I've been pulling 12-14 hour days six days a week lately, so I've not been around much. I spend most of my days getting the ship and the crew ready to get out of the shipyard and back to being the pointy tip of the spear that she should be. I've noticed its very different being a supervisor getting a ship out of the yards than it was to be just another one of the workers.

First off ... my hats off to you sir for your service to our country ..

..and my hats off to you for your contributions to the [H]

p.s. ..I tried joining the Marines right out of high school but got shot down due to a bad ear ..and I cut my food with my left hand ..so , does that count? :p

a few things in my life have changed, so I took some time to update the information. After 19+ years on submarines, it is time again for shore-duty. I doubt that I will go back to back to a submarine, I think I will be retireing from the military in the next 3 years or so....

First off, tell us about you.
Where do you call home?

Moving to Saratoga Springs, NY

What is your family situation?

Married, with Son

What do you do for a living?

My job has been to operate the nuclear reactors of U.S. Navy, Submarines, for the last 19 years.

Does your forum name hold any significant meaning?

My initials, and something else to make it unique.

Did you ever post in the "Let's see your mug... " thread? Why or why not?

I guess if someone wanted a Pic they could check my lonely (0 Friends) MySpace Page.

Lack of access to posting photos online. Plus my own inherent lazyness. I've got plenty of knowhow to make an appache server at home so I could do my own hosting. I just don't wish to goto the trouble to set it up and secure it just to post a photo or two.

What other hobbies or interests keep you busy?

are you kidding?
COMPUTERS
oh and model rockets and RC Cars

Tell us about your involvement in DC.

I Did RC5 until it was cracked, and then took a break until I folded my first WU about 6 years ago.

Who or what got you stated in DC projects? About when was it?

RC5 was a buddy named James. FAH was for the [H]

Why do you participate?

Because it was a good cause. Later I had an Aunt Die of cancer. More recently a close friend of my wife fell to Alzheimers.

If DC'ing could find a cure for just one disease tomorrow, which one would it be and why?

I know you say just one, but it's really hard to not have two for me. I'd go with Alzheimers first. That disease is plain scary and we don't know much about it. Cancer second. We may know a bit about it, but we still have not cured it.

What projects have you contributed to? Any others you find interesting?

RC5 and FAH

What teams have you contributed to?

2CPU for RC5.
[H] exclusively for FAH

Why did you choose the Horde?

I've been a reader of Hard|OCP since Pentium I days.

If your current project ends, which one will you move on to?

I see no endpoint in sight. But, I figure I'll stay with our team and where they go. Probably somewhere in medical research if I don't agree with the choice of our team. Keys were basically useless and well, why go looking for aliens when there are diseases at home.

Current level of production and how's it spread around?

Mosty one desktop with an i7 970 and a pair of GTX570s.

Where do you see the [H]ard DC sub-forum in the near future?

ummm here? seriously it hasn't changed much in the last 10 or so years, I doubt it will change much in the future.

Long term?

see short term.

Any ideas on improving the [H]ard DC sub-forum, or suggestions or improvements for our Team?

I frankly don't have any ideas that haven't been, well, shot down. Kyle gives us far more support than he gives anyone else in the forums. We've asked for exclusive hardware give-aways and he has his reasons to not provide. I'm sure they are good, and I don't wish to question him on them further.

The teams self driven give-aways are a a huge thing to help us develop. Both in building the team and helping the knowledgeable team members build teamwork and knowledge by helping others

Tell us about your involvement.
Where did you begin?

2xDual P3 1000@1100, C600@900

What are you running today?

4.15GHz 970 w/ 2xGTX570 and GTX260,
3 laptops

Where do you see your DC'ing activities in the next year or two?

sticking right here with the [H]

Do these boxen have day jobs or are they dedicated folders?

desktop for gaming and video encoding
laptops are internet cruisers

How are these boxen configured? OS, client, etc?

win7 with the v6 client

Have you been successful borging? If so, what kind of borging worked for you? (For example, friends, family, and/or work?)

not terribly

<thread necro>
I know this is really old, but I would add some updates,

Most of this is not news, it is just scattered across other threads.
After 23.5 years of Navy time, I retired and took a job at a commercial nuclear power plant (Beaver Valley Power Station) near Pittsburgh, PA.

I am currently in class working toward my NRC Reactor Operator's Licence. So I am DCing full time, but not participating on the forums much. Officially this is 50 hours a week of class/study, as this school is make or break a career, there might be more hours.

Really commercial power is not as glamorous as you might think it is. It is kinda neat to look into the open vessel as you refuel. Due to Cherenkov radiation Cherenkov radiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the fuel still glows blue. The real interesting work is done at research reactors. they get to pulse them which makes for really cool videos. For the record, you never want to pulse a 1 GWatt reactor, Chernobyl-4 would be an extreme example of how bad an idea it can be.

This is a test reactor pulse, it is incredible to watch, but it makes me cringe every time I see it.

BTW to the powers that be, there used to be links to the Hord Spotlight index and other interview index in Hoard Central, but I can't find them any more. I know I was in charge of the Spotlights when they kind of died on the vine. If anyone wants to start this back up, feel free to do so, I just don't feel I have the time right now.

</thread necro>

Back