Dead Space..another screwed up console port

cannondale06

[H]F Junkie
I just joined the Dead Space forums and came across this thread talking about how screwed up the controls are for pc. in this thread theere are links to other pc reviews that ALL talk about the controls being a total mess and to use a gamepad instead. what the fuck is wrong with companies that cant design decent control scheme and do they even give a damn or test it out before hand? http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?threadID=450079&tstart=0

For all our hardcore PC audience, that means everyone of you, we recently got hands on with an early copy of EA’s Dead Space for the PC. Good news? It’s still Dead Space!

Bad news? The controls are 2nd to the worst controls we’ve seen ever since Path of Neo came to the PC platforms. The smoothness compared to consoles is just not there, and from what we can tell it doesn’t seem like a patch can fix most of the issues. Inventory stack access becomes frustrating when fighting with monsters and aiming for on-the-fly changes. The controls just aren’t smooth. When contacting EA Redwood Shores regarding these issues:

copy and pasted from forums: I think developers should start trying to fix it soon
and STOP pretending that everything is OK..

It Started with this thread

http://forums.dearwandy.com/viewtopic.php? pid=392421

and discussed here
http: //forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?threadID=445852& tstart=45
and here
http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa? threadID=447665&tstart=105

and confirmed with a review from PC ZONE here
http://img262.imageshack. us/img262/8318/dscf1586sp5el4.jpg

and now here

http://whatifgaming.com/dead- space-pc-version-perplexed-with-control-problems-and-issues- not-fluid-enough

Consoles were the lead platform, so it's sad but not really surprising.

Consoles were the lead platform, so it's sad but not really surprising.
I just dont understand why they release a game like that. Alone in the Dark, for example, is the worst piece of shit I have ever tried to play and even with the gamepad its still ridiculous. do they even play test games anymore?? I dont like controllers and thats one reason I play games on the pc so to screw up that basic foundation is beyond uncalled for. why arent these games designers called into question for wasting peoples time and money?

I just dont understand why they release a game like that. Alone in the Dark, for example, is the worst piece of shit I have ever tried to play and even with the gamepad its still ridiculous. do they even play test games anymore??

Because it's easy? And they know people will buy it. They spend lots of money on the console games, and throw a pc version out there...if some people buy it , bonus.

Not surprising since Resident Evil 4 was a horrible port too, and they play very similar.

I was planning on using my 360 pad for this game anyway. So... meh.
RE4 was great with a pad and I expect this will be too.

I was planning on using my 360 pad for this game anyway. So... meh.
RE4 was great with a pad and I expect this will be too.
I am trying to get used to the controller for some games but I HATE it compared to the mouse and keyboard. also in one of those reviews it mentions that even the controller on the pc doesnt feel completely right either.

The enemies aren't very fast in this game so you can kill them with a gamepad's slow response. I could only imagine if you could work with the mouse then you would really kick some ass easily.

It seems to have been debunked??

Hi everyone!

Sorry I haven't written yet, but the thread has only existed for less than 24 hrs!

Okay, PC controls. I'm not sure what the PC Zone guy is referring to by nubbin simulators or whatever, but let me tell you how the controls work.

You move the mouse up, the targeting reticules move up. You stop, it stops. Crazy, huh? Just like it should be. There's no counter-acting with the mouse or some weak crap like that.

And you can adjust mouse sensitivity.

So I'm afraid, without having more specifics from the guy, it's hard to know what precisely his feedback was. And he's right, the mouse in the front end does feel a little floatier than most games.

Of course, controls are a huge matter of personal preference. (Have you seen some of those Doom hounds who turn the mouse sensitivity to a billion and their camera FOV to 180 degrees or something? I hate it, but it works for them I guess.) I'd suggest everyone gives it a go for themselves before coming to a conclusion.

~ Ian

DS Art Director

Being he is an EA employee,take with a grain of salt..I doubt he would say"Yup,we screwed the PC gamers with shitty controls"..or,he could be telling the truth..

meh, thats why I have a 360 controller. I didn't expect grid/GoW/assasin's creed to be keyboard friendly either(although I'm a bit surprised that dead space is atrocious).

meh, thats why I have a 360 controller. I didn't expect grid/GoW/assasin's creed to be keyboard friendly either(although I'm a bit surprised that dead space is atrocious).
Gears of War was PERFECT on mouse and keyboard. I havent picked up Asasins Creed yet and I have heard mixed opinions on kb/mouse for it.

that sucks cause i really wanted it on pc, now you got me thinking i should get it for the 360.. i guess it'll be more fun on the big screen anyway

Is this game going to have a demo for PC? It looks really cool from what iv seen. Been itching for a new horror based game.

Funny how 3 of the 5 links are down right now, maybe ea sabotaged them? lol I got the game on 360 and I hope the graphics won't be too different. I was going to get it on pc since I have a crazy rig and a 24" monitor, but after reading this kb/m complaint, I'll wait until more people have played it.

Just buy it on the 360 and be done with it. Its an incredible game, and if you have a nice 5.1 speaker system in your living room then its just that much better.

Eh, I don't have a console and I'm really hyped for this game so I have no choice anyhow. Guess I just gotta hope it won't be too bad for me!

Just buy it on the 360 and be done with it. Its an incredible game, and if you have a nice 5.1 speaker system in your living room then its just that much better.
sorry pc only for me and I will probably never buy a console. I dont like controllers and most games I like are pc only anyways such as STALKER and Crysis. theres no excuse for screwing up the controls on any version of the game and I shouldnt have to buy a new platform or even a controller because of their sorriness.

The Xbox 360 Wireless Controller is perfect for this game. I have no problems using it and would prefer it to keyboard and mouse given the camera. The only games that a keyboard and mouse are better are RTS, RPGS, and FPS. Anything 3rd person give me a joystick. Not all RPGS though, Fable 2 I'd prefer an controller. It just takes some getting used to, but it's worth and it becomes rather easy with a little practice. I'd imagine some people coming from consoles to PC wouldn't like a keyboard and mouse as much at first. Give it a chance. I got it for the 360, however I got gears of war for PC and played it with an Xbox 360 controller. It was fantastic.

The Xbox 360 Wireless Controller is perfect for this game. I have no problems using it and would prefer it to keyboard and mouse given the camera. The only games that a keyboard and mouse are better are RTS, RPGS, and FPS. Anything 3rd person give me a joystick. Not all RPGS though, Fable 2 I'd prefer an controller. It just takes some getting used to, but it's worth and it becomes rather easy with a little practice. I'd imagine some people coming from consoles to PC wouldn't like a keyboard and mouse as much at first. Give it a chance. I got it for the 360, however I got gears of war for PC and played it with an Xbox 360 controller. It was fantastic.
well I have been trying to use a controller for the past few days but I dont like it. the only reason I got one was to try and finish Alone in the Dark which I finally said screw it and unistalled the pos of a game. I hate trying to walk around with one thing while aiming with another. I played Crysis for a while today and it was almost impossible to aim but for some reason I could kill enemies even though I clearly missed them while shooting. I guess the controller assists you at actually hitting the target since its damn near impossible to do so. btw Gears was great on the mouse and keyboard too so no need for the controller on it.

I'd suggest everyone gives it a go for themselves before coming to a conclusion

Buy it, and if you don't like it, i'm sure EA will give you your money back.

EA sucks donkey sack. Always.

If I was given 3 wishes one would be really bad for EA lol.

well I have been trying to use a controller for the past few days but I dont like it. the only reason I got one was to try and finish Alone in the Dark which I finally said screw it and unistalled the pos of a game.

Ha same with me. Got about half-way through and just couldn't bare it anymore and had to uninstall.

I wanted to get the game for PC and just play w/ my controller, but if I won't get any improved visuals beyond resolution and AA, then I'll just rent it for 360.

Having two gaming platforms is a beautiful thing given the state of PC gaming. I remember a time when my console was only used to play games that didn't come out on PC.

Well this thread seriously kinda makes me want to buy the 360 Arcade for the 200$ it's being sold here. But then again I'm a cheapskate, skinflint, pincher. :p

Is the PC version really that bad? I trust user reviews over 'zine reviews, and I'm seeing a lot of gamers complaining of the same thing.

Have been looking forward to Dead Space for a long time, but if it's going to be an exercise in frustration due to the controls, I'll pass, which would suck.

I grew up on consoles, but cant stand them anymore (though I still own my five-time-replaced X360) except for maybe some racing games with the wife. I refuse to even attempt using a console controller with my PC. Maybe I'll wait a bit longer and see what other gamers have to say.

Is the PC version really that bad? I trust user reviews over 'zine reviews, and I'm seeing a lot of gamers complaining of the same thing.

Still the only people that have played the game are a handfull of reviewers. No one bitching here has any first hand experience.

I will found out later today as I plan on picking up DS and NBA 2k9..Wow and Far Cry 2 tomorrow..:p

EA sucks donkey sack. Always.

If I was given 3 wishes one would be really bad for EA lol.

No they ruled back in the Archon days!
Well I guess they were still just a publisher, but at least they published good titles.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/10/21/dead-space/5

"Dead Space isn't an easy game to like and a lot of that is down to one very simple thing; the controls. The root of those control problems? Three words: it's a port".

"The controls however are a totally different matter; they are just plain awful. They are sticky, unresponsive and stiff "

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/08/25/new_dead_space_handson_impressions-2.html

" After reacquainting ourselves with Dead Space's controls — no small feat, because they're more than a little bit confusing and currently our only real complaint with the game "

so if i use a usb gamepad on my pc the controls are sharp or do they still suck?

so if i use a usb gamepad on my pc the controls are sharp or do they still suck?
well since I started this thread things have obviously changed. the mouse and keyboard are just fine especially if you leave vsync off. the in game vsync will cap your framerate at half your refresh rate. if you really need vsync and you have an Nvidia card then turn off the in game vsync and force it on from the control panel. unfortunately you cant force it on from the ATI CCC though.

I used the controller for a bit and found the keyboard and mouse to be much better.

Controls are fine for people that aren't picky. Really more hype than it really is.

The controls aren't bad, but I am waay too used to the direction keys, not wasd. I'm pretty pissed that they decided to hard-code those keys into the game for the inventory, and I cannot unbind them or use them for anything else. What kind of idiot decided to do that, especially in a damn pc game, which they should know has gamers with lots of variations in control styles.

I heard there is a keyboard assigning program, but people have said it still won't work at all. Has anyone had luck binding the direction keys for movement? I also looked for ini files and cfg files but found nothing, just an xml file with what looked like numbers for specific key binds.

I really want to play the game, but I can't bring myself to because I can't change the keys to what I am comfortable with. Maybe they just wanted to be different from virtually every pc game ever made.

The game itself is AMAZING. Great atmosphere and visuals. Too bad the mouse lag is scarier than the storyline.

Even so, the game is worth a go.

Just yesterday got my Dead Space running when I forced the vsync off in nvidia control panel (wtf..) The controls aren't really that bad, I just cranked up the sensitivity and the dpi in my mouse. Sure the mouse is a little sticky at times but atleast the game works.

btw I got Far Cry 2 working too with the same method, just forced vertical sync off in control panel. :confused:

there is no mouse lag for me with vsync off.

holy crap... thank you for posting this! I just bought the game and was about to give up on it without actually going into the game because of the mouse controls then saw this and turned off vsync and now mouse controls are fine.

Have been looking forward to Dead Space for a long time, but if it's going to be an exercise in frustration due to the controls, I'll pass, which would suck.

Honestly, there is a bit of exaggeration about all this. Dead Space is a wonderful and scary game. Most of the people complaining are people who don't realize they need to turn off Vsync, and people who use strange alternate control schemes. The default control scheme (WASD) is just fine for 99% of PC gamers.

Granted, even with Vsync off the mouse does feel kind of weird (built-in mouse acceleration FTL) but even then, you get used to it.

Don't let the controls scare you away of playing this game.

I'm sad that I beat this game last night. Very sad. I didn't want it to end.

I think this is a hell of a great game myself. I used KBM the whole time, Vysnc off like I do on all my games, 1920x1200 maxed out settings on a single 8800GT 512, Logitech G9 mouse at max setting with in game sensitivity maxed out and I never had the first problem of any kind with this game whatsoever.

I was hitting very accurate shots with the pulse gun and shooting as well as I do in any other PC shooting type game.

I'm pretty harsh EA sometimes but considering this came out at the same time its console bretheren did and all that....I have to tip my hat this time.

You will always have haters out there for just about anything. Some people see "EA" and that's all they need to know.

Some of the hate I've seen directed at this game is simply laughable and unfair. I love the guy in the big thread on page 13 talking about how the graphics, textures, and lighting "aren't that good" but then he's running it at a low ass resolution on a mediocre rig that's probably comparable to an Xbox360 at this point in time.

The game looks phenomenal on my system. Nice textures, everything's crystal clear, nice lighting, etc. It's an awesome game. Is it a perfect game? No. Could it have some more "amenities" for PC gamers? Sure.

Back