FarCry 2 Early Performance Preview @ [H]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
FarCry 2 Early Performance Preview - The much anticipated FarCry 2 is being released today! We have some apples-to-apples performance testing that gives a preview of how current-gen video cards from NVIDIA and AMD stack up. Today’s video cards are capable of huge resolutions with dialed up quality settings.

To be released at 11AM CDT today.

Please Digg to Share!

Nice to see that FarCry 2 isn't a resource hog. Maybe I can run it smoothly on my HD3870, eh? :)

I'm really disappointed how you guys always only compare the top end cards, and drop older generation cards. Not every has a 2xx or 4xxx card =/ Not much of a helpful comparison when you're only attending a small audience.

Most people on H I would assume still have a 8800GT or 3xxx

Oh Man i am so jealous, I want my copy now. I have to wait till thursday which sucks balls. Glad to see that it doesnt kick even high end systems in the balls so everyone can enjoy it. I Purchased a 4870x2 since i was a little worried about performance. Oh well i still love my card and it was basicly free (microcenter gift cards FTMFW especially when you win them )

Great first look. Glad to see you are doing most of the new cards in the preview.

REAL glad to see my 4870 is going to be decent even with max settings.

Awesome! I'm only going to be running at 1920x1200, so a bit lower compared to the benches. Glad I'll be getting some good FPS.
Can't wait!!

Nice Review , glad to see it plays better. I would like to see some lower resolutions using the same cards though, I know this is [H]ardforum, but be realistic guys, not everyone has a monitor capable of 2560x1600. lets see a wider range of resolutions in the future please.

Nice Review , glad to see it plays better. I would like to see some lower resolutions using the same cards though, I know this is [H]ardforum, but be realistic guys, not everyone has a monitor capable of 2560x1600. lets see a wider range of resolutions in the future please.

This was simply a preview, and as such I wanted to stress the cards, the great thing is as I found out that even at 2560x1600 it really wasn't a stress yet (except for the 4850.)

Via the pic's, it looks like this game needs aa regaurdlees of resolution.

The one gripe about Crysis and now FarCry 2 is the performance hit you take when enabeling anti-aliasing. AA is an important feature to me, and having the option to use up to 16x is one reason I prefer PC games over consoles, visually speaking. I realize these are high resolutions we're talking about, but even 2 samples make such a difference relative to none, and jaggies are obvious in the above screenshots.

lol 4870X2 proves again to be a waste of $$ unless they get the drivers right. Not likely at this point.

Glad to see it and sad for the 4870X2 owners.

Hugs to my 280GTX

Still not buying this game b/c of DRM. They can go hang for all I care.

Wouldnt mind seeing the advantage of DX10 vs DX9 too.

Neither would I. Where can I get those?

I'm really disappointed how you guys always only compare the top end cards, and drop older generation cards. Not every has a 2xx or 4xxx card =/ Not much of a helpful comparison when you're only attending a small audience.

Most people on H I would assume still have a 8800GT or 3xxx

Then they should be able to figure out the performance on their own eh and not need us to do it for them.

Via the pic's, it looks like this game needs aa regaurdlees of resolution.

It does help, one thing not noted in the preview, which I need to do more testing with, was that with GTX 280 SLI I was averaging 68 FPS at 2560x1600 NoAA/16XAF max in-game settings, so we may be able to crank AA up real high with GTX 280 SLI, need to do more testing to determine highest playable in-game.

Well that's fairly promising, I hope I can enable some anti aliasing at 1920x1200 if it's that fluid at 2560x1600.

I wonder how the dx10.1 update for the 4870s I've heard about will impact things.

My gripe with the visuals though is that it's very dark looking with blood that looks like thick shinny yet muddy coloured red petrol... Somewhat reminiscent of Gears of War and kind of console-y. I hope Far Cry gets the Oblivion/Stalker treatment on PC, with extensive visuals mods etc :)

Nice first part review for this game. I am going to pick it up tonight.

No Crossfire testing? Would like to see if it works.

The 4870 X2 is basically CrossFire, and it didn't seem like it was doing a whole lot, yet, but tha is so preliminary, we've really got to dive into it and play this game all the way through to find out. Don't make any conclusions yet, I certainly am not.

The one gripe about Crysis and now FarCry 2 is the performance hit you take when enabeling anti-aliasing. AA is an important feature to me, and having the option to use up to 16x is one reason I prefer PC games over consoles, visually speaking. I realize these are high resolutions we're talking about, but even 2 samples make such a difference relative to none, and jaggies are obvious in the above screenshots.

This game uses a multisampled depth-buffer to improve AA performance, this is supported via DX 10.1 on AMD hardware and specially supprot via NVAPI on NV hardware, we'll move more in the full eval.

Well that's fairly promising, I hope I can enable some anti aliasing at 1920x1200 if it's that fluid at 2560x1600.

I wonder how the dx10.1 update for the 4870s I've heard about will impact things.

My gripe with the visuals though is that it's very dark looking with blood that looks like thick shinny yet muddy coloured red petrol... Somewhat reminiscent of Gears of War and kind of console-y. I hope Far Cry gets the Oblivion/Stalker treatment on PC, with extensive visuals mods etc :)

1920x1200 4X AA max in-game settings was smooth as butter on GTX 260 and 280 during our short run.

I'll take a closer look at the blood, I think you are right, it is blobby like GoW

This was simply a preview, and as such I wanted to stress the cards, the great thing is as I found out that even at 2560x1600 it really wasn't a stress yet (except for the 4850.)

Fair enough. It did just hit today though I imagine you guys have had FC2 more than a few hours.

I too would love to see what 3870's and 8800GT's could do at 1680x1050 and I'm sure those numbers will come tomorrow or the next day. But based solely on these numbers it seems reasonable to hope they will be very decent.

I get that [H] will always lead with the [H]igh end stuff.

I too would love to see what 3870's and 8800GT's could do at 1680x1050 and I'm sure those numbers will come tomorrow or the next day. But based solely on these numbers it seems reasonable to hope they will be very decent.

I get that [H] will always lead with the [H]igh end stuff.

We will not be covering 1 and 2 year old technology that now represents sub-$150 video cards. We simply do not have the resources to do that. You guys already have the hardware to figure all that out and do not need our help on it. That is what the forums are for to put it simply.

Very nice, thanks a bunch Kyle. Its interesting to see how poorly the 4870X2 scales in comparison with the 4870.

Very nice, thanks a bunch Kyle. Its interesting to see how poorly the 4870X2 scales in comparison with the 4870.

I don't think it scaled poorly....I think it just did not scale at all. :D Obviously CF is borked on this card. I am sure it will be fixed and when it does, it looks to be a monster. I would be very surprised if we end up seeing "poor" results from the 4870X2......and I want to know ASAP since that is what is in my box.

Thanks for the review! Very interesting to read and nice to see that all the single cards perform quite well. (Even the 4850 considering the pricerange)

A pity regarding the 4870X2, I really thought AMD would have fixed the scaling. I guess they will do that soon, they can't afford to make a mistake with a huge game as this.

One thing the 4870 X2 has over the 4870 is 1GB of RAM vs. 512MB. I think this game is going to be one that benefits from larger than 512MB of video memory, I got that impression in my brief playing around with the game. We will see....

I cant wait to see how a 8800/9800gt or 8800/9800gt sli does in this game at 1680x1050. I think that represents a large portion of the readers here.

If I recall from older reviews the 8800gt sli should be faster than a 260 or 280 card in most cases? or at least equiv.

That has been my one gripe over the years Kyle/Brent, You guys always show how stuff performs in the newest hardwawre but never show a current most popular card as a baseline. It would help us to gauge when it might be time for an upgrade besides our own experience.:D

Isn't scaling up to the game developers? Or do ATI really have to make a farcry2.exe super-optimization just to do the job of the developers? I'm tired of that crap, I have a CF mobo and I'd like to put it to use in more than two three games

dammit, where'd you find the 180 drivers for NVIDIA. we've been waiting forever for them...

the game is not a resource hog compared to crysis because the graphics are not as good as crysis.. HardOCP should lknow this and not complain.. crysis graphics are alot better than any other game on the market, obviously you are going to need a kick ass computer to run it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back