GTX 260 + LG 246 Not displaying properly??

MrSneis

2[H]4U
I was really excited today to get the gts 260 but immediately after install I got a nasty surprise:

IMG_4791.jpg

It seems like my resolution is set properly to 1920x1200 but my display is super cropped off! I've tried older drivers and driver cleaning to no avail; I have a hunch this has to do with forceware + HDTV settings... can anyone help me out? I'd really like to play Far Cry 2 :(

If i remember correctly, there may be a special profile you may have to load for the LG's scaling. I remember hearing about this issue before.

I will have to research this more. If not, it could just be a driver issue.

Well I've done a bunch of research, sounds like an issue called "overscan" that forceware drivers are having problems with since the beginning of time... seems the "fixes" and "workarounds" do not really apply to my situation; the ones I have tried short of changing the monitor's EID have not worked :(

So lame, never had this issue before this vid card.

I had this same problem and the solution that worked for me was to create a registry file to stop the video card from treating the monitor as a HDTV.

To fix it, open notepad and enter this:

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{BBB725CF-F867-4CFC-A00D-09A82F11A075}\0000]
"OverrideEdidFlags0"=hex:1E,6D,24,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00

Now save the file as "All Files" (do not save as a .txt file) and name it OverrideEDIDFlags.reg

Then click on it and it will save it to the registry. Reboot and you should have the GTX 260 working properly with the LG L246.

Report back if it works or not. Those EDID settings are for the LG L246 but will probably work with L245 as well.

If for some reason this doesn't work, try this solution:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=413572&mpage=1&key=��

Read post #11. I got it to work that way as well but you have to edit the nv_disp.inf file whenever you change drivers. With the registry fix, it's a one time thing.

dark_reign, thank you for that but both your registry patch (1e 6d 24) and the nv_disp edit (1e 6d 3f) are non-working for me still :( I do have the 246w though.

Have you tried placing the code under [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings_C7x] and [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings_GT2x]? It didn't work for me when I only added that line under [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings].

Try the new 180.43 drivers, I have this monitor and had to do the same hack for my dual monitor setup with one L246. I don't have to do it now with the 180 drivers. The L246 works fine now.

Have you tried placing the code under [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings_C7x] and [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings_GT2x]? It didn't work for me when I only added that line under [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings].

This one did the trick!! I used the 1e 6d 3f string on 178.24 under all 3 headings and it finally worked!

After 2 full days of smashing my head; what the hell is NVidia thinking??

Also the 180.43's did not work.

I'm glad it's finally working for you. The GTX 260 seems to think the monitor is a HDTV when using the DVI-HDMI cable. Other monitors that are hooked up this way appear to have the same issue.

For those with a LG245, it has a different EDID code, change the 3F to a 24. when editing the inf file.

Nearly all monitors that are hdmi and only vga have this issue. The video card thinks oh hey its a 16:9 ratio television, however since it is really a 16:10 ratio monitor you get weird issues. The newest drivers off nvidia.com i.e 178.xx are said to have new support for dvi-hdmi monitors.

The issue is really the edid in the display.

its annoying to say the least, I was using an older set of drivers with my 8800 GTX and it wasn't giving me this kind of problem, on switching over to the 260, this cropped up so it makes me wonder what changed other than the video card and the driver. I mean the 260 only takes what it's been told by the monitor, its up to the driver to interpret the information so I think this is a driver bug.

I haven't bothered to update my drivers due to this problem. Don't want to mess with this issue again. Nvidia needs a permanant fix for 180.00's. (GTX 280)

Back