Fallout 3 crashing thread

eddie500

Gawd
Do any of your games crash when you try to look or grab toys in the baby box right when the game starts?

I think this game is like oblivion, very bugy in its initial release.

If it uses the Oblivion engine, I'd expect it to crash a billion times. I'd also go through the usual Oblivion troubleshooting.. disable mods (not relevant), update drivers, safeboot, check codecs (download K-lite codec pack).

I'm having similar problems. I went an hour without crashing, and now I can't get past a certain area. The area loads fine, but when I take a few steps forward, I crash to desktop. It's not at the same exact place or time for each crash either. I did the standard upgrade drivers, reboot, etc. and it didn't help.

Pretty much everyone posting on the Bethesda PC forum is complaining about crash issues.

Haha, sounds just like Oblivion's day 1. :D You guys try the codec pack? Don't remember if it caused CTD issues.

I'm not sure what kodec pack I have, why would that be an issue? What version of K-lite should I install? Should I uninstall older versions?

Alright guys, using vista x64 oblivion would always crash on startup for me, well what do you now, fallout does the same exact thing, I can't even play the damn game.

I have had 2 crashes randomly in aout 7 hours of gameplay...Meh even with them I dont care too much. Save often always works for me.

yeah im using vista64 and it'll lock on me anywhere from 5minutes to 3 hours at a time. temps aren't a problem. my first guess is the x-fi. i'm considering taking it out and letting onboard sound take over.

I had an issue of crashing right at the start of the game.

You need to add Fallout3.exe to ffdshow's exclusion list.

Now I have no crashes. :)

Taken from bethsoft regarding Oblivion, but just substitute Fallout3.exe where ever it says Oblivion.exe.

Some users have reported having numerous "FF" icons in their taskbar during or after playing Oblivion. These icons are from a seperate video/audio decoder you may have installed in the past called "FFDShow." This program is processing the sound files for Oblivion, which some users have reported slows down the game, and can leave the icons in their system tray. Simply moving the mouse over those icons will get rid of them after you stop playing Oblivion. Uninstalling FFDShow can fix this, but it is NOT necessary. You can follow the steps below to tell FFDShow not to handle sound for Oblivion.

Instructions for disabling the FFDShow for Oblivion without fully removing it:

1. Click Start
2. Click "All Programs" (or just Programs, depending on the version of Windows, whether they're using "classic," etc.)
3. Go to the ffdshow folder.
4. Click "Audio decoder configuration."
5. In the left hand pane, click "Info & debug." This is the second entry in the list.
6. In the right hand pane, near the bottom, find a check box labelled "Don't use ffdshow in:"
7. Check that box, and in the text box underneath (it lights up when you check the check box), add "oblivion.exe" (don't include the quotes). If there is already something in that box, put a semi-colon ( ; ) after what's already there, and oblivion.exe after that. Do NOT use spaces, since ffdshow will think that's part of the filename. A valid entry would be "explorer.exe;oblivion.exe" (without quotes).
8. Finally, click "Ok" and start Oblivion.

I'm crashing right after I get the pip-boy. tried the exclusion thing.

Hmm, guess its a good thing I went with the 360 version. Good luck and god speed with patches. :D

If it uses the Oblivion engine, I'd expect it to crash a billion times. I'd also go through the usual Oblivion troubleshooting.. disable mods (not relevant), update drivers, safeboot, check codecs (download K-lite codec pack).

Haven't have a single crash , lock up or anything , complete flawlessness, I'm using Vista 64bit Ultimate Edition.

Sounds like a user error.

Alright guys, using vista x64 oblivion would always crash on startup for me, well what do you now, fallout does the same exact thing, I can't even play the damn game.

At startup as in when the logos are going? Or when you hit "new game?"

I'd try disabling the movies.. perhaps codec again.

I kept crashing after starting a new game every time. I tried the FFDshow trick and that didn't work. I set default audio to my Plantronics headphones and that did the trick. Apparently the game doesn't like my C-media soundcard. There is a lot of cussing in the game anyways so headphones aren't so bad. Hopefully they will roll out a patch soon. It runs very well, better than I expected.

So apparently you can't remap the VATS and pip-boy to anything other than default. That fixed my crashing.

Oh did I hit a nerve? Good.

Yay, he took the flame bait, so you can stop now. Solutions are beginning to crop up, so if you're not going to contribute, please don't clutter this thread for the rest of us.

Here's a fix someone posted at the bethsoft forums for those using Asus videocards:

I have an ASUS 8800GT video card and was experiencing the CTD on New Game bug like so many others here. Also, like so many others, I tried all of the various solutions others posted (clean boots, codec updates, ect.) and had no success getting the game to start. I was quite frustrated and a very sad panda.

During the course of my own trouble shooting routine, I discovered that the game would load and run properly after the ASUS Smart Doctor and GamerOSD applications were uninstalled.

While it's not an perfect solution, I do hope it helps some of you running what is turning out to be a fun game.

And installing the K-lite codec pack has helped people with the CTD on New Game issue:

http://www.free-codecs.com/K_lite_codec_pack_download.htm

Other than the fact that CC didn't have the pc version in stock yesterday....this is one of the key reasons I didn't have a problem picking up the 360 version. I have a fairly standard/vanilla rig (X2 5000+, 2GB DDR, 8800GT 512, XP Pro SP2) and I had a hell of time with Oblivion glitches and usually a crash would occur just as I was really getting into the game. I really want to be a pc gamer but now that I'm older I simply don't have the time/patience to deal with that crap anymore..:(

I have to contribute most of my Oblivion CTDs to mods, honestly. I was/am a modder an was constantly play testing my work.. my entire Bethesda directory is still a mess. I tried to run Oblivion a few weeks ago, because I've yet to finish the game, and my OBSE launcher wasn't working. I would've rated Oblivion easily a 8/10, but modded up, I'd change that rating to a 9/10 and the instability is totally worth it.

For that reason I cannot go with the console version. I went back and purchased Morrowind to play it on the PC with mods after I already had Oblivion. Played MW twice on Xbox.

I muted the in-game music and radio with the sound options, and it seems to have worked. played over 4 hours without locking up today.

played for a bit and reached the first town and hacking computer terminals makes the game CTD pretty frequently, between this and Far Cry 2 constantly crashing every 20 mins I'm getting pretty fucking irritated, it's not as though it's old hardware with out dated drivers, it's all top of the line and up to date.

God this annoys me, I just want to enjoy the game ffs.

Fallout 3 for me is crashing randomly every 10-30 minutes. It's not even crashing, but the screen is frozen while the music still plays. After that happens, I have to ctrl-shift-esc to force quit the Fallout 3 process.

It's really annoying :[

Have played 8+hours no crashes whatsoever.
q6600 and 4850 on dell xps 720
win xp.

You folks still having problems, what have you done thus far to troubleshoot? Please give the prior recommendations a shot. Over at bethsoft, we're finding that a lot of it is audio related. Grab the K-lite decoder pack.

Oblivion was touchy for me so I'm anticipating problems with FO3.

I am still crashing to desktop on New Game start. I have dled the k-lite (full) codecs. Is there anything I need to do with them to get it to work? I have tried the other fixes to no avail. However before this problem I was having a crashing on load problem which was fixed by verifying the game files. Any help would be great!

Colin

Edit: Rig is in Sig

I'm reading that remapping the VATS key might be causing this issue as well. Try using the default control settings, then start a new game.

No luck as I didnt change the controls at all....Thanks for the suggestion though

Colin

No luck as I didnt change the controls at all....Thanks for the suggestion though

Colin

One of the Oblivion troubleshooting steps was to disable audio. You can do this via the ini or in the game.

I'd also check your Event Viewer to see if it's pointing a finger at anything. Right click My Computer > Manage > Event View > Applications, IIRC.

well turning off the sound did fix the sound issues of the crash but it still crashed at the first loading screen after starting a new game...

here is the even log for it...

Faulting application Fallout3.exe, version 1.0.0.12, time stamp 0x48d194b3, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x5b31c231, process id 0x9c, application start time 0x01c93a18e525b6d0.

I dont know if this helps.

Colin

Aw damn, it's pointing at the fallout3.exe.

You using Vista by any chance? You've got nothing to lose by uninstalling, deleting your FO3 directory, then reinstalling by right clicking the setup.exe, then selecting "Run As Admin."

That did not work as well... I tried running as admin on the last install and this one..and just now for fun...

Colin

also i just noticed this...trying to install the DotNetFX i get an error where it wants me to change settings, I am trying that now... Has anyone else run into problems with DotnetFX installs?

Colin

I had the installer crash multiple times during install (Vista32). The first time was about 1/3rd of the way through... the second was in the 1st 1/8th... and I can't remember where the third was. Figuring it could have been the copy protection on the disk and an incompatibility with the drive (wouldn't be the first I saw a game be too particular about my read only drive) I put the game in my dvd writer and it installed without a hitch.

I haven't experienced any crashes in the game running from the writer (except if you directly exit from the game without first hitting the main menu... ;) ).

The error I get is

You must use "Turn Windows features on or off" in the Control Panel to install or configure Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0 x64.

however, that is not an option when I go into the Windows feature screen. .Net Framework 3.0 does not even come up.

Played a good few hours without crashing early on and just recently, the only time its crashed for me is definately extended periods of time at consoles trying to hack (guess) passwords.

I dont have any codecs install (VLC FTW) but I am running an Asus Xonar D2X soundcard which they may or may not support :/

Just a Heads up I was able to fix the problem by turning off the GX mode in the Xonar menu.. I hope that helps

Colin

Back