My 4870 Fallout 3 Results : Screenshots and Benchmark Included - 56k Warning

heatthegreat

Limp Gawd
I know there is another thread on this, but it seems to be clogged with everything other than actual results.

I did about a 10 min walkaround after I exited the vault and entered the wasteland.

Here are my specs.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66ghz)
Visiontek 4870 512MB
4GB PC6400 DDR800 GSkill
My Settings - Ultra High (everything) 2x AA 15x AF (games max) 1920x1200 resolution

Min - 0
Max - 65
Avg - 49

Now, the 0 for the min is actually because I alt tabbed once, but the framerate does dip sometimes when your turn around and do a 180. I did fight a dog while on this benchmark and I must say it is pretty smooth. Im a frame nut, so more than likely I'll be turning AA completely off for it to be a little smoother. All in all, this should give people a general idea of what to expect from similar hardware.

fallout3.jpg

fallout2.jpg

fallout1.jpg

I can't help but cringe and feel that the fallout soul has been lost..
But kudos for benching and the screenies! Definitely a welcome data point to consider.

Yeah, thanks for the info. Seems to run pretty well with pretty decent scenery to boot.

Hey that bat looks familiar.. O wait that's the same one I beat the living crap outta Butch and his mother.

Looks good. Hopefully today I'll be able to head down to Circuit City and pick it up. If not I might have to wait until the weekend. From your results, it looks like my old 8800GTS still might be enough to push this game at 1600x1200, which is very encouraging because I'm not quite ready to upgrade. :p

Im actually still running the game at 2x AA and while in Megaton, the game is a rock solid 60 fps, and megaton looks interesting. I cant wait to explore more of this game.

Looks quite good - does it use the same engine as Oblivion or a completely new one? The distant scenery looks much better than their previous game. Scenery up close looks similar to Oblivion with mods.

I'm planning on running the game at 1680x1050 with my system. Look like it will run OK, maybe even with some FSAA added.

Going to pick the game up on friday when it's released in Euroland (and publishers wonder why games are pirated so much over here...). At least it's not released 2 months later in Europe like some games...

Hey that bat looks familiar.. O wait that's the same one I beat the living crap outta Butch and his mother.

ahahahah

I couldn't help but crack her skull after I saved her. CRITICAL SNEAK BAT HIT

CRUNCH.

Nice. Should give an indication on how is should run. Wonder how it will fair on my 1GB 4850 and 24" monitor. hmmm...

I'm surprised how CPU intensive this game is, my setup is similar to yours except my CPU is slower and GPU is slightly overclocked. At the same settings as you in the same location in the game (Ultra High, 2x AA 15x AF, 1920x1200), I get about 20 fps. Actually I get about 20 fps regardless of AA levels (0x - 4x).

Running an E8500 @ 4ghz with a 4870X2 and even on high settings I am only getting 28-50 frames running around outside the vault.

I would say the average is between 34-42

Seems kinda low

Resolution 1650 * 1080
15x AF
2x AA

My benches are from the time it took to travel from The Vault to megaton. I did fight a few things, and did pan all the way out and that is what fraps recorded :( You should be getting 60 fps solid with ur rig 1erCru, I dont know what the deal is

Running an E8500 @ 4ghz with a 4870X2 and even on high settings I am only getting 28-50 frames running around outside the vault.

I would say the average is between 34-42

Seems kinda low

Resolution 1650 * 1080
15x AF
2x AA

E8400 at 3ghz with an Evga GTX 260, all ultra high, 2x AA, 15AF, 1650 x 1080.

While outside, in areas with a larger view of the map, or heavily populated with npcs, I see average FPS of 40-45. Elsewhere, it ranges from 50-60, and generally is capped at 60 indoors.

Comparing this performance to how my computer handled Oblivion, can't say I'm impressed :/

BTW, heatthegreat, there's a ruin near Vault 101 called Springvale. I get a FPS dip of 5-10 when staring at it (guessing it's a messy shader issue). Can you confirm that this is a problem across the board?

LOL :)

I'm being a good guy and refrained, but did kill the overseer though.

Onto performance, Im having to dip my settings to 1680x1050 with 2xAA and 16xAF to maintain a playable experience, im not sure what the frame rate is, so im going to give fraps a go in a sec, but its really soupy for me :/

Oh also for widescreen owners, this is vert- not horz+ so you need to go into the fallout.ini file and edit the defaultfov setting, more instructions on www.widescreengamingforum.com

As mentioned before this game is extremely taxing to the cpu, which sucks because I can't break 30fps at 1680x1050 =/.

I'm really surprised how well this game runs.

With the same hardware, running oblivion, I have to turn off AA to get consistantly smooth framerates (with highend visual enhancement mods installed).

Fallout runs fantastic though. Kudos to the devs. The load times are fantasic as well, even for an old/cheapo 7200 sata HDD

Intel Q6600 @ 3ghz
nVidia GTX 260 c216 @ stock speeds
4GB DDR2 800
Vista x64

Have everything set to max/ultra, 1920X1200, 4XAA 16XAF and haven't noticed any kind of studdering or slow downs, smooth as butter. After a few hours of play though, I do notice the fans kicking into high speed mode.

We've decided the game is very demanding on the CPU. Is it possible that it also supports quad cores to some extent?

I would think, with an E8400, I'd see the same smooth gameplay, but there are definitely moments where the FPS plummets and I feel it.

I haven't bothered checking FPS, but this game runs really smooth on my X2 5000+ and HD4670 @ 1680x1050 2xAA ... there are a couple spots where the FPS dips but nothing unplayable. Overall it runs better than Oblivion.

picked up the game yesterday

Using 4400+ X2 AM2, 4870 512, 2 GB RAM, Windows XP

playing at 1650*1080, 4AA, 15 AF, all in-game settings at max

the game has run smoother than I expected. I noticed maybe a hiccup or two walking around the Wasteland on my way to Megaton and I noticed a FPS drop when I was engaged by rad ants, but I have no complaints about performance right now.

I haven't played while running fraps though, so my comments are completely subjective.

We've decided the game is very demanding on the CPU. Is it possible that it also supports quad cores to some extent?

I would think, with an E8400, I'd see the same smooth gameplay, but there are definitely moments where the FPS plummets and I feel it.

AFAIK, it does take advantage of quad core machines (atleast thought I read it on the back of the box). Ironically enough, can't seem to find any legitimate benchmarks for it though

I have noticed load on all 4 cores, but who knows if that's the game alone.

Game will run great, then Qarl's Texture Pack 4 will annihilate us.

can't wait (atleast for weapons and stuff with low-res textures)

Wasn't one of Kyle's original goals making this forum 56k-friendly? Isn't that why there's so few images here?

Either way, I appreciate the lack of them here, makes the forum nice and readable while DLing stuff. :)

Back