24 glossy non TN!

Greetings:

I'm from Spain, so excuse for my english.
I'm searching for a 22-26", but i according to this:

-I don't want a TN panel.
-I would like glossy screen

There are good 24" glossy but they are TN (acer g24, hp w2408h, etc), good 24" pva or *va or ips (Hyundai W241D, HP LP2475w, etc) but they are matte screen.
So the only one I've found is the hazro hz24wi, but black levels are not very good and has other problems (backlight control issue, green snow effect, etc)

Is there anything as good as the nec 20wgx2 today in 22-26"? Is there another option (glossy, non TN)

I don't care about imput lag (i use to play off net), design, ergonomic options, brand, HDMI/HDCP (i won't use it with consoles), etc

I've found the hyundai w241DG (s-ips, glossy), but I think it's only for Japan.

Thanks

Only glossy 24s I know of off the bat are the Hazro 24" (Which you mentioned) and the new ACD 24" that hasn't been released yet.

Hey gabriel, do you own a 20wgx2 or just heard it was good?

I don't own the nec 20wgx2, but i've seen at a friend's home.
I own a ASUS pw201, not ips, but at least S-PVA and glossy, and I'm very happy with it, it's a very good monitor, maybe not as good as nec, but glossy and not TN, and good all-around monitor.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data/articles/2006/1924/asus_lcd.jpg
http://gsmnet.ru/forum/uploads/att-44dd997123596W201.jpg
http://prohardver.hu/dl/rev/2006-12/1374/pw201/front3.jpg
http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data/nnews/2006/4849/File/Ports Big.jpg

But only 20"!! I would like to get a 22-26"!!! glossy and not TN.
Hazro is overpriced because of the several and very important issues it has, and Apple... well, if hazro is overpriced, ... apple, jeje (too expensive and with propietary port I think)

I'm searching for a non TN (it doesn't matter it is IPS, *VA is OK for me, but i hate TNs) and glossy, but its very hard to find one (maybe the hyundai W241DG , but imposible to get in Europe)

im in same boat also ...:(

have nearly 1k to spend and it seems everytime im close to finding a panel there something wrong in it design...really sucks

lag..bad colours...mat..gloss...poor black...too much bleed....viewing angles.....stand movement/angles....snow....banding....gamutt.....and so on....

i think they sell defective gear on purpose :rolleyes:. thats why they bring out 5-6 models a year...look at samsung:p has one for every month :D

No, it isn't, only the frame is glossy - the screen is matte.

thanks.
So it seems I'm in the same boat.
Still looking for a 24 non TN, glossy. apart from apple....
Does samsung offer any? The all say glossy but what they mean is only for the frame.
There are mixed reviews on hz24wi. but backlight bleed seems common on all of them.
All this range/myriad of monitors and none 24 non tn, glossy?
I think i will get w2408h or w2448hc if I cannot find anything else, but there has to be some model....

Wow. 24 inch, non TN panel, and glossy? Good luck finding those ... there are a number of good monitors in the 24" non TN range (M/PVA and S-IPS panels come to mind) but glossy too ... again, good luck finding those ...

***EDIT***
Well, for those of you still wanting a 24 inch, non TN, glossy panel, you can try the soon-to-arrive Apple LED Cinema 24", which is glossy, and apparently is non TN due to it's specs on the Apple website: 178/178 degrees. I've read contrasting rumors stating it as M/PVA or S-IPS. Stand is not height-adjustable, and, like many Apple products, is overpriced IMO: $899 US Dollars is the stated retail price. Oh, and this monitor only uses Mini DisplayPort, so if you have a computer that doesn't have DisplayPort, you need to buy a female Mini DisplayPort/male DVI adapter (Apple sells 'em at their online store here. Enjoy :)

Wow. 24 inch, non TN panel, and glossy? Good luck finding those ... there are a number of good monitors in the 24" non TN range (M/PVA and S-IPS panels come to mind) but glossy too ... again, good luck finding those ...

***EDIT***
Well, for those of you still wanting a 24 inch, non TN, glossy panel, you can try the soon-to-arrive Apple LED Cinema 24", which is glossy, and apparently is non TN due to it's specs on the Apple website: 178/178 degrees. I've read contrasting rumors stating it as M/PVA or S-IPS. Stand is not height-adjustable, and, like many Apple products, is overpriced IMO: $899 US Dollars is the stated retail price. Oh, and this monitor only uses Mini DisplayPort, so if you have a computer that doesn't have DisplayPort, you need to buy a female Mini DisplayPort/male DVI adapter (Apple sells 'em at their online store here. Enjoy :)

..that's a Male Mini DisplayPort/Female DVI adapter for connecting normal DVI monitors to a Mini DisplayPort Apple laptop.
At this time you cannot connect the Apple LED Cinema 24" on a pc.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1786262&tstart=0
anyway back to the issue, ..
no solution? :(

..that's a Male Mini DisplayPort/Female DVI adapter for connecting normal DVI monitors to a Mini DisplayPort Apple laptop.
At this time you cannot connect the Apple LED Cinema 24" on a pc.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1786262&tstart=0
anyway back to the issue, ..
no solution? :(

Thanks for correcting me on that gjergji; and yes, if you want a 24" non-TN glossy monitor you are basically out of luck atm. Given that glossys are a small segment of the LCD monitor business (I've heard that something like only 10-15% of all LCDs made/sold are glossy), it seems like the LCD manufacturers focused on what they feel is the money-making segment of the industry for glossy (19-22 inches). Add that to the fact that a good number of glossy screens are done for laptops anyway, searching for glossys in the 24" non TN range is an ever-increasing uphill climb ... it kinda comes down to how badly you want a glossy screen vs. a non-TN screen, since the vast majority of glossys are TN as of now.

Update; here's an earlier post that had someone also wanting a monitor with very similar specs to yours, apparently Hyundai makes monitors too, just not available in the US :(

HP's monitors typically have a glossy coating.

Check out the LP2475w which uses an IPS panel. It's reasonably price at about $675 in the US, but I don't about Spain.

If all else fails try some of the offline or online stores in your country
ecstatic.gif

Here's a tv i recommend; this has the best bang for the buck. better than any desktop lcd, except in terms of res:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889187087

There's also a 37 in but it doesn't have free shipping.

I recommend getting neweggs ext. warranty since i usually get them.

I'm thinking about buying the 32 in. to replace my fhd 2400, which doesn't suck, but it's not quite perfect either.

I had a nec 20wmgx2, but it had awful banding among other shittiness. i have no idea why. it was an as-ips panel, or at least it was supposed to be.

The 20WMGX2 has banding if you use any DV setting other than Standard. You might have gotten a bad panel also.

So as a recap.
The only 24 inch glossy non TN monitors seem to be:
Hazro hz24wi (many problems)
Hyundai w241DG (Only available in Japan)

P.S. LP2475w is matte
If I wanted to get a bigger LCD i could get samsung series 6 37 inch. It is glossy. It is BIG.
24 inch is the perfect size for my desk.

I'm pretty much looking for the same specs and haven't had much success yet. I had high hopes for the Apple LED Cinema but the new proprietary mini-DisplayPort is only compatible with the new Macbook's. Even older Apple systems with DVI/HDMI will not work. I haven't found any female mini-DisplayPort adapters and am reading that a signal converter ($$$) may be required to get it on DVI.

The HP LP2475W is a great panel, but is matte. The HP w2408 is glossy, but after seeing it in person the color and pixel clarity was lacking compared to my NEC MultiSync 90GX2. I assume this will be the case for any TN panel.

The hunt and wait continues...

I would really like a 24" glossy non TN display as well. I've got an S-IPS 2007wfp right now but I'd like to have something bigger. I've looked at the 24" iMac at Best Buy a couple of times and to me the display looks gorgeous. Does anyone know if it's non TN or is it just a TN panel that Apple uses in their 24" iMacs?

And yeah I agree that that is pretty ignorant on Apple's part to release the new ACD with DisplayPort. They should of just kept it DVI or released it as HDMI and put an HDMI port on the MBP cause it doesn't even work on their new MacBook Pro's without like a $99 adapter. There was no purpose in it and they're just losing sales.

No, the 24" iMac uses a nice H-IPS LG.Philips panel. The 20" iMac uses a TN panel though.

The new LED cinema does NOT require an adaptor for the new Macbook line up (including the new Pro/revamped Air).

The new LED cinema does NOT require an adaptor for the new Macbook line up (including the new Pro/revamped Air).

Yeah your right. I was actually thinking of how you had to buy an adapter to hook up your regular DVI displays to the new MacBook Pro and how they were like around $99 and not even in stock to order when the new MacBook Pro's came out.

Has there been any new monitors that came out that are non-tn, glossy, and 22-24" yet? I've been waiting for one too

As far as I know, the Apple LED Cinema is the only one on the potential list. However, we'll be lucky if we see the needed adapter(s) this year.

As far as I know, the Apple LED Cinema is the only one on the potential list. However, we'll be lucky if we see the needed adapter(s) this year.

Hmm, maybe we could make our own, wouldn't splitting a DVI male, and miniport female's cord, and wireing them together work? (yes I'm psycho)

I have some 2004 4:3 19" glossy MVA panel right now, really eager to get a widescreen and I've always used glossy (crts, plasma, lcds) so I'm spoiled by it now, is the 20WMGX2 as good as todays 24" ips's and such, the bezel and stuff looks kind of ugly.. lol ><

Anyone checked out the HP w2558hc in person? It appears to be a pretty recent release (Dec '08) and the former large glossy w2408 24" is gone off their website.

Based on the street price I can't tell if it's TN or not (I'm betting it is), but at this point I'm getting desperate.

I have been trying to find larger glossy lcd panels for a long time too.
I have the 30" Dell 3007 which has great PQ but way too much coating.
You can actually seel images move behind the coating at times which is annoying.

So the larger Apple displays will not hookup to a PC?

Ok, I hate to drag up old threads, but it appears a glossy 24" non-TN STILL doesn't exist?! It's almost 2010! I just got a 24" matte IPS screen, but would love to try out a 24" glossy panel, either PVA/MVA or IPS, aside from the Apple.

Surely, someone has made one by now?

Well as others have mentioned the 24" Apple LED.. the difference is from this old thread, there now IS an adapter to go from DVI TO Mini-Displayport... unfortunately it's a bit expensive ....
http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-p-17859.html
Not to mention one could have (now in 2009) a displayport port (is that redundant ;)) on their video card, than a Displayport to Mini adapter, that should work but not certain?

how well this works going from a pc I don't know, but here's a link from a PS3 setup, it would be interesting to see cheaper adapters....
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=801855

**edit, notice you did mention the apple after your first statement...

Last edited:
This is not a helpful post, but I'm forever curious why people want glossy displays - we used to pay good money back in the day for anti-glare coatings. These days it's tough to go laptop shopping and come home with anything but. What am I missing?

Dunno. I cannot stand these reflective displays, but it's all there is.

But I don't really do much more then office/schoolwork on my screen, anyways.

Nice, nonreflective displays are why I have kept my Latitude D820 around for so long.

This is not a helpful post, but I'm forever curious why people want glossy displays - we used to pay good money back in the day for anti-glare coatings. These days it's tough to go laptop shopping and come home with anything but. What am I missing?

You are missing that fact that the non-glossy displays produce a "fine rainbow dust" effect all over the screen, and tend to wash out the picture compared to a glossy screen. Once you get used to a glossy screen, there is no going back.

You are missing that fact that the non-glossy displays produce a "fine rainbow dust" effect all over the screen, and tend to wash out the picture compared to a glossy screen. Once you get used to a glossy screen, there is no going back.

How do you use one in a lighted room? Careful arrangement of your desk and lights? They do look nice to me, I just don't get how they're practical.

How do you use one in a lighted room? Careful arrangement of your desk and lights? They do look nice to me, I just don't get how they're practical.

I can, just not well.

My laptop still has this... glossy stuff.

I just make sure my back is against a wall (NOT a good position, but oh well).

Back