Far Cry 2 Crash to Desktop help

Catfish449

Gawd
Okay gang,
I have tried to refrain from posting in hopes that someone out there has the same problem as I do and finding a fix. For some unknown reason, it will crash to the desktop with no errors. I cannot replicate it. Sometimes I can play for a couple hours, sometimes no more than a few minutes. I have tried turning off vertical sync in the nvidia control panel, tried killing any background processes that are not pertinent to Windows stability, disabling SLI. I always reboot the computer before attempting to play it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have searched and read until I am bleary eyed.
**Everything in this rig is at stock speeds. Rig listed in signature**

Thanks
:( Fish

I'm having the same problem too except it only happens when I try to take the bus or when I try to save the game at a safehouse or weapon shop but its random not at any specific place. Also, the game freezes sometimes when I try to save at these places as well but I don't know if thats related. I still havent found a solution to any of these problems its very annoying. I get the same problems with the 180.42 and 180.43 drivers I've used with this game I only played the game for a couple minutes with the 178.24 drivers. What drivers are you using? Anyone with an ATI card having similar problems?

Having same problems as OP, random crashes initially not for 50-60 mins but after that it's pretty regular at about 10-20 min intervals.

Specs in sig.

I am using the 178.13 drivers. Had the same problems with the previous one. Tried installing 178.24, but for some reason, machine refuses to accept them. downloaded them 3 separate times.

Tried that. Found it in another post, turned it off, didn't seem to have any effect.

Just for giggles, I switched the cards, top to bottom, bottom to top. It really freaked out then. All the colors went nuts after only a few seconds. I disabled SLI, and it was playable. After about 15 minutes though, the frame rates dropped drastically, basically unplayable. With that said, it would seem that I have one bad video card. The puzzling part is, NO OTHER games have problems, which says no video card problems. I AM lost at this point.

Try this Bro' - take the card that you suspect might be bad completely out of your system and see if it makes any difference. Worth a shot....

I have the crash to desktop with no error in DX10.. In dx10 I'd watch my ram usage go up and up and at a certain point I'd crash.. I switched to dx9 and I haven't crashed yet.. Seems to work for me, albeit a halfassed fix.

Hi there,

I registered just to add that I`ve been having the same probs, HD4870. Brand new card too, I was quite peed off but thankful that it isn`t just me or is limited to ATi gpus ... obviously not thankful this is happening.

For daftness, I returned my rig to standard clocks etc right across the board, still crashing to desktop.

Fingers crossed for a speedy patch from Ubisoft as this is the only game with problems thus far.

:)

I honestly doubt its a hardware issue-- this game is crashing for plenty of people. Plus, if its the only game that doesn't work properly its a no brainer.

I came in this morning, re-enabled SLI, was flawless for 15 minutes, then lock, black screen, desktop.

I have a spare drive here, so I am going to hook it up, do a fresh install of XP Pro and Far Cry 2. Nothing else. If that works, it looks like I will spend the weekend reloading all my software.

:mad: Fish :mad:

I was having that same issues using the latest NV Beta's 180.whatever but as soon as I clocked my vidcard back to stock it runs flawlessly now.

I was having that same issues using the latest NV Beta's 180.whatever but as soon as I clocked my vidcard back to stock it runs flawlessly now.

Catfish doesn't have his cards OC'ed so in his case that's not the problem.

I'm experiencing the same issue. Specs are in my signature.

Same here.

Edit: Thought I'd add I've looked at my error reporting every time I get kicked to desktop, and it's always the same AppHang-FC2.EXE

I figure maybe a patch or two if were lucky and it'll get fixed :rolleyes:

New Patch applied. Still crashing, but it appears to be the display drivers now. The screen just goes wild with colors and the game keeps playing in the background. I have yet to wipe the drive and do a fresh install, so I guess that would be the next step.

For me, there's still no help for this problem even after that first patch they just put out. I have no problems at all except for a sudden "Fallout 3 stopped working" and then that's it.

I've about given up. I sent a message to Bethesda Support for what little good that does. When I did, I linked them to several threads on their own forums with tons of people bitching and moaning about this mess.

Both far cry and fallout are dissapointments. No good game has been released this month imo.

+1 for the crash to desktop and it does seem to happen after extended game play - sounds to me like a memory leak issue - i got the game from steam and applied the patch just this morning so i will try playing for an extended time to see if the patch helped (though in the fix log it mentioned nothing about it)

Bought the game on steam and i have the same issue.

Seems to be exactly around the 40 min. mark for me.

All drivers up to date and specs in sig.

Your problems are not Steam related whatsoever. I'll just save you guys that suspense. It's the game itself. Some buggy coding and this first patch ONLY fixed the "crash on exit" bug, nothing else. There's nothing wrong with your systems. Nothing wrong with Steam, etc.

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showforum=36

Join in on the "fun."

i wasnt blaming it on steam, i was just trying to offer up the fact that it seems to do it to people who have installed from DVD and from those of us who have installed from Steam

i wasnt blaming it on steam, i was just trying to offer up the fact that it seems to do it to people who have installed from DVD and from those of us who have installed from Steam

I know. :)

One thing I tried last night, and it might just be a coincidence, was I disabled ALL startup and ALL services not MS related out the msconfig boot tab area, restarted, and played the longest stretch without a crash that I'd seen yet. This is on Vista 64.

Late to this thread but I've been having FC2 CTD as well. Until that is I switched to DX9 rendering. Now FC2 runs without the 30 - 40 minute CTD and it also seems to be smoother (i.e. I don't need to set a constant fps via the console).

Its just a pity that now I've got the game running its just getting a tad monotonous :rolleyes:

Same problems for me, I'll try DX9 and see if that fixes it for me. At least the severe slowdown gives me notice to do a quick save. Pretty annoying problem but an awesome game aside from that.

My game has a memory leak and I ctd every 20 mins or so. My g15 reads around 45% memory usage at startup and crashes as soon as usage leaks to 90%.

Patch needed plz

I installed a new drive, installed a fresh copy of windows, all updates, then far cry. Still no love. Same problem as before. Freeze, black screen, desktop. We seriously need a patch that actually works. At this point, I would rather have my 50 bucks back and forget about it. You would think after waiting for almost two years for this game, they would have at least tried it out to see if it worked before releasing it. (end of rant). Hopefully, we will get a fix soon.

I can play it for about half an hour, then it starts lagging and eventually the colors begin to bleed, then it shuts down the game. Although I bought it from a friend for 40 bucks, I'm still going to go hunting for some sort of refund >_>

I may have stumbled onto the solution to the crash to desktop problem in FC2. I had FC2 running fine on win7 beta no crashes at all. I then installed vantage to check speed in win7. Afterwards I started crashing to desktop in far cry. I uninstalled vantage but it still crashed. Finally I uninstalled the ageia drivers. That fixed it. Maybe the same will help you. By the way to uninstall ageia I had to use system restore. HTH someone out there.

So far I haven't experience that crash yet, driver version 178.24 (for those who use nvidia cards)

But I had experience bad lagging after some time playing, had to save the game, quit and rerun the game again, and the frame rate is back to normal, at the very same spot.

And yeah, this 178.24, its physics driver comes separately, as in we can uninstall it separately without having to remove the graphic driver. and I did not install the physic driver. So no any kind of physic driver on my system

Back