[H]orde Spotlight #3 - crawford60

alan2308

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2008
First off, tell us about you.

- Not much to say, I'm currently a senior chemistry major at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I enjoy video games,
and hearing about new technology/gadgets.

Where do you call home?

- Home is a rural town in Elk County, Pennsylvania, surrounded by woods and animals. Kinda boring but just about the nicest place to grow up. Currently living in an apartment just off campus here in Indiana, PA.

What do you do for a living?

- Currently a student, hopefully finding a good job come summer after I graduate.

Does your forum name hold any significant meaning?

- Its just my last name and the number I used to wear when I played football.

Did you ever post in the "Let's see your mug... " thread? Why or why not?

-Yes, not sure why though. Just saw it and thought "eh, what the hell".

What other hobbies or interests keep you busy?

- Besides gaming and keeping up on new technology/gadgets, I enjoy hunting and fishing. It is hard to find something that is more relaxing than being knee deep in a stream and hearing nothing but mother nature's finest offerings.

Tell us about your involvement in DC.

- Other than running the client, I haven't had any other involvement to date. That may change in the future depending on how much free time I get.

Who or what got you stated in DC projects? About when was it?

- I first started with DC projects when Sony launched F@H on the PS3. I heard about it and thought it was a noble cause, so I started running the client overnight.

Why do you participate?

- Because the first step in finding a cure, is figuring out how the problems occur in the first place. Proteins are a tricky beast, one simple amino acid change, or disrupted molecular interaction can completely change the function of the protein. The other reason is more personal. I have had several family members diagnosed with different types of cancer, one with Alzheimer's, and one that passed away from a human variant of Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (Mad Cow's). Seeing the terrible effect these diseases have on my loved ones is more than enough to keep me motivated to fold so long as I can afford it.

If DC'ing could find a cure for just one disease tomorrow, which one would it be and why?

- Honestly, I don't think I could choose just one. It is an impossible choice for me between cancers, Alzheimer's, and Bovine spongiform. Since all three of these have affected my family, there is no way I could choose just one.

What projects have you contributed to? Any others you find interesting?

- F@H is the only distributed computing project to date that I have contributed to, but I do find SETI@Home to be interesting. Finding other intelligent life would be amazing, but if they are out there, they are probably looking for us as well. So, I don't think it is nearly as important work to find them as it is to find cures to the diseases that destroy so many lives and families.

What teams have you contributed to?/Why did you choose the Horde?

- I used to fold under a different name for PS3Fourms.com (Team: 54376). I logged in about 375,000 points for them, but was never really active in their forums because it was basically a breeding ground for trolls. Once I started to get more into hardware, I naturally visited [H] because it is one of the best hardware review sites on the net. Joined up little while ago, and decided to switch over when I moved back to school this fall.

If your current project ends, which one will you move on to?

- If the current project ends, then I will donate my time to any other worthy scientific cause.

Current level of production and how's it spread around?

- Currently I run one GPU client on an 8800GT and my PS3 for one WU after I finish playing for the day. I don't like to
leave my PS3 folding for long periods of time. I'm just a bit more paranoid about it breaking since it isn't all that easy to open it up and repair it.

What plans do you have in moving forward? Where do you see your DC'ing activities in the next year or two?

- I am looking to upgrade my production. I've been scrounging for deals on used PCs in the area since I don't have alot of money as a college student; but I don't see me getting anything else until I graduate and (hopefully) get a job after I graduate. Once I get a job, I plan on ramping up production to whatever fits into my budget.

Do these boxen have day jobs or are they dedicated folders?

- My desktop is my everyday PC. I use it to do homework, surf the web, game, etc.

How are these boxen configured? OS, client, etc?

- E8400 @3.6GHz, 4GB DDR2 800, Gigabyte 8800GT, Win XP SP3, According to the log file, the GPU Console Edition version 6.20.

Thank you crawford60 for another great [H]orde Spotlight.

Great interview. I am really liking these weekly installments. Where in PA is elk county? My gf is from Westchester, PA and really loves it.

Actually, she wants to move back there after school...but thats a whole other topic.

Thanks for sharing Crawford!

Hey welcome to the spotlight!!
I also live in PA Sharon/Hermitage area.

Nice meeting you!
Left or right handed? really should be a new question lol

Awesome... It is always funny when running one client .. cause you to run 10 more down the road.

Hey welcome to the spotlight!!
I also live in PA Sharon/Hermitage area.

Nice meeting you!
Left or right handed? really should be a new question lol

That does need to be added to the question list. :D

Yet another great spotlight. Thanks for taking the time to post it up and fold with us!

Another PA resident here as well. I'm about 20mi NW of Valley Forge. Wow.. 3 people from PA, we've almost got enough to apply for a "charitable contribution power deduction " request from the state. Yeah... like that'd ever happen. ;)

Great interview!

Thanks for the information!

Thanks, Alan2308!

Thanks for deciding to a part of the [H]orde! .. and heres to great success with your schooling!

..another fine spotlight.:)

Back