Fallout 3 mouse acceleration

dochmbi

Limp Gawd
I can't get rid of mouse acceleration in Fallout 3 no matter what.
I've forced vsync off with ATI tray tools (after overcoming some hurdles to install it on vista64) and adjusted the number of frames rendered ahead (a.k.a. the flip queue size).
Can't find anything in the Fallout 3 default ini file either which could be changed.

Problem solved! See thread on bethesda forums for more info!

Update: Ongoing discussion here. There's some new info, maybe a potential solution:
update 2: Problem solved!!! Information can be found in this thread:
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=893740&st=0

This was posted by a Fallout 3 forum user a while ago:

"Changing the "Flip Queue" size didn't fix it for me either, buuuuuuut:

I got V-Sync turned off by using the override method used in Ati Tray Tools. Here's a screenshot of the option for my Fallout 3 profile:

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/8571/zw...ablage01eg0.jpg

Working perfectly now, ATi 4870 + Vista Ultimate 64-bit. You will already notice it in the menus."

Only problem I have is that my version of ATI Tray Tools doesn't seem to have that specific drop down menu which would allow me to select "off" as he has.

edit: apparently its the latest beta version, trying it now.

BRILLIANT, thank you.

I just did testing as to why it was running really choppy despite other people reporting excellent FPS, and its capping at 60fps which means the rape down to 30fps is killing the smoothness of the game and the associated mouse input lag with vsync anyhow.

Looks like the ATI CCC forcing vsync doesn't work, bit irritating having to get a 3rd party app, oh well.

FFS, ATI tools doesnt work under vista x64 because of signed driver problems, sigh...

Anyone know of any other apps that can force vsync off which works with vista x64?

*edit*

nevermind, somoene wrote a "loader" to make ATI Tray Tools actually work on vista x64

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=275261

make sure to run as admin.

Just curious here...is this mouse lag or mouse acceleration? The way I've seen it described, it sounds like acceleration, but vertical sync wouldn't have any bearing on that.

FFS, ATI tools doesnt work under vista x64 because of signed driver problems, sigh...

Anyone know of any other apps that can force vsync off which works with vista x64?

*edit*

nevermind, somoene wrote a "loader" to make ATI Tray Tools actually work on vista x64

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=275261

make sure to run as admin.

I got it to work. I used that BOOT thingy. Just do a bit of googling around.

Vsync causes mouse lag which in terms of fucking up your aim is just as bad as mouse acceleration IMO.

Just curious here...is this mouse lag or mouse acceleration? The way I've seen it described, it sounds like acceleration, but vertical sync wouldn't have any bearing on that.

I'm sure the mouse movement is non-linear if that's what you're asking. Don't know if it's smoothing or acceleration specifically though.

After doing the fix I still get a bit of wobbly mouse control when walking outdoors but that's dues to performance and I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of resolution to get it to run better.

Also noticed that ATI Tray Tool has OSD settings for GPU temps, CPU activity etc, thanks I really like this :)

I cant get this to work, I have installed the latest version of ATT and installed the loader , I loaded a Fallout 3 profile and selected vertical sync as "always off". Anything Im doing wrong?

Vista 64 by the way.

I cant get this to work, I have installed the latest version of ATT and installed the loader , I loaded a Fallout 3 profile and selected vertical sync as "always off". Anything Im doing wrong?

Vista 64 by the way.

Did you use ATT to create a shortcut which makes Fallout 3 run with the ATT options on?
Have you tried adjust the flip queue size?

Great thread guys and to all that provided links, gonna dl ATI Tray Tools now.

Btw: I knew something just wasn't right and not too many people mentioned this problem in the huge FO3 threads (game breaking for me) better performance is very noticeable now.

Wierd lag is gone along with the cap.

Did you use ATT to create a shortcut which makes Fallout 3 run with the ATT options on?
Have you tried adjust the flip queue size?

Thank you , I see what I wasn't doing. I hadn't changed vertical sync to "always off" in my Fallout 3 management Profile. Thanks for the reply!.

....And thanks for this post, it helps tremendously.;)

I'm glad to be of assistance as I was desperately seeking help to solve this problem myself because it is gamebreaking to me. I'm a mouse purist you see.

So wait...are you telling me that, despite the fact that there is a vsync control in the Options menu, it doesn't really work? I guess that would explain why the game seems more sluggish than it should be.

Can this be done without ATI Tray Tools? I've never really liked using ATT.

EDIT: never mind, I figured it out on my own. You can actually force the vsync off for all games in the Catalyst Control Center. The default setting is to let the applications specify.

Yes, now I have tearing, but my frame rate is higher and not jerky. I think that's a reasonable trade.

I believe the Fallout 3 .ini setting which controls VSync is iPresentInterval. Try setting it to 0.

The file is in Documents/My Games/ Fallout3.

Lum, the amount of crap I had to smear on myself to try and fix the bug was amazing, and it didn't fix the problem. Doing what you suggested, changing "1" to "0" seems to have fixed it. I love you.

Back