Intel Core i7 Synthetic Benchmarks @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Intel Core i7 Synthetic Benchmarks - We give you a one page article written with the benchmark monkey in mind! (We have a few around here too!). Core i7 965EE, 940, and 920 paced through four synthetic benchmarks and compared to Core 2 QX9770 and E8500. And we even throw in a little Prescott too, just because it was cold in the office.

Any way you slice it, the new Intel Nehalem desktop processor looks like a winner in the land of the benchmark. Even when the benchmarks are not done by Intel PR engineers! ;) And incredibly, all of this was done inside power envelopes that we are already accustomed to.

Ohhh pretty! Can't wait to see some real world stuff take place.

Err cool but seems Intel must have given every review site some guidelines as to what they wanted benched? Just odd that every site so far with a review has pretty much only shown the same synthethic benchmarks sens 2 sites showed crysis performance. I thought we would have seen some real world tests here.:(

I'm sure they will come but I was just looking foward to some real world stuff that [H] usually does too.

Ahh I just read the thread below seems app benchies are coming afterall. :)

Nice to see, and worth staying up for.
But, being as so few games are cpu-limited, I would only see gains in my video encoding i assume...?

Yeah, sounds great if you're encoding/decoding movies or music a lot. I think I'll stick with my Q for now.

Impressive numbers. I'll reserve my judgment until I see the real-world benchies though (although I suspect those will be similarly impressive).

I was gonna make a rig with the Q9550 quad core but should I just now get the i7 920??

I almost pulled the trigger on a Q9550 as well - but the price and performance of the i7 920 seems too good to pass up. I think this might be one of those rare moments in computer buying history where patience makes sense.

You'll have to change your ram, mobo - and for a few with SLI available again on a decent mobo, maybe even your GPU?

Ya get a different ram/mobo..going to stick with a BFG GTX260 MAX core...& depending on bonus get a 2nd one...in Feb. Good thing I guess with newer mobo is SAS ports.

"130w TDP power envelopes are overstated. Even with our i7-965EE showing to be fully 100% loaded we never saw full system power pull over 280w at the wall, and this was with a GeForce GTX 280 running idle."

How does that mean the 130watt TDP is overstated? Factoring in PSU ineffiency the system is still pulling ~220 watts with the GPU idle, so if the CPU was actually pulling 130watts the rest of the system including GPU would be pulling 90 watts which sounds about right doesn't it?:confused:

You'll probably have to wait quite a while unless you're willing to drop $350 for a motherboard for a $280 CPU. P55 is expected to be released Q3 of 2009. Why would Intel release a "mainstream" processor with only extremely expensive motherboards available?

P55 is expected to be released Q3 of 2009. Why would Intel release a "mainstream" processor with only extremely expensive motherboards available?

Because these are not mainstream processors. Lynnfield and Havendale are the mainstream versions of the Nehalem architecture, and they will be LGA1160 chips. P55 will also be exclusively for LGA1160 if the info that's out there is correct.

I mean the 920 at $280 isn't exactly priced as an enthusiast CPU, specially when the motherboard is more expensive than the CPU. Heck, it's $50 less than a Q9550.

great review, as always, I'm quite surprised it blew the competition out of the water so readily, but then again that makes me an idiot, either way I am no longer just interested in the new boards, this has really caught my eye.

I mean the 920 at $280 isn't exactly priced as an enthusiast CPU, specially when the motherboard is more expensive than the CPU. Heck, it's $50 less than a Q9550.

Now wait a minute. Isn't the $280 for the CPU an MSRP. And the price on the motherboard is not MSRP based on buy.com, etc?
Perhaps the motherboards are 150ish MSRP, and that i7 920 will really be $400ish come tomorrow. Premiums over MSRP just after release are quite common.

Mine here overclocked to 3.8GHz ROCK EFFIN SOLID at 1.35v on water. 20*190.

Now wait a minute. Isn't the $280 for the CPU an MSRP. And the price on the motherboard is not MSRP based on buy.com, etc?
Perhaps the motherboards are 150ish MSRP, and that i7 920 will really be $400ish come tomorrow. Premiums over MSRP just after release are quite common.

You have a point there. But didn't the guy that bought an i7 965 Extreme buy it for $1050? with msrp of that cpu at $999? not that much of a jump.

I guess my point if any is that Intel could have charged a lot more for the 920 :p

winner of the world of benchmarks.

still not games tho.

nahelem = pro's of phenom and pro's of core 2.

As badly as I want one of these, I will have to wait until sometime next year to get one. I may tide myself over with a Core 2 Quad until then, though.

You have a point there. But didn't the guy that bought an i7 965 Extreme buy it for $1050? with msrp of that cpu at $999? not that much of a jump.

I guess my point if any is that Intel could have charged a lot more for the 920 :p

I honestly would have NEVER guessed them to lead such a "low" pricepoint on that part. Does not make much sense to me. Everyone they are fabbing must work great for them to do that.

What I'm most concerned about is did Intel manage to double performance in the last 18 months?

kyle did u get sent a sample? it may be cherry picked obliviously, i hope not, i've heard the higher priced i7's will be easier to overclock :(

still not games tho.

The review on www.tweakers.net showed performance with Far Cry 2 and Crysis.
With an 8800GT Core i7 and Core2 Quad scored the same...
With a GTX280, the Core2 Quad score didn't improve, but Core i7 nearly doubled in framerate.
So apparently the latest games DO get a huge boost out of Core i7, because they were CPU-limited with a high-end card like a GTX280.

The review on www.tweakers.net showed performance with Far Cry 2 and Crysis.
With an 8800GT Core i7 and Core2 Quad scored the same...
With a GTX280, the Core2 Quad score didn't improve, but Core i7 nearly doubled in framerate.
So apparently the latest games DO get a huge boost out of Core i7, because they were CPU-limited with a high-end card like a GTX280.

yea i heard that these 280 gtx cards where being held back by the cpu;s of yesterdays. go figure eh? now all we need is kyle to confirm it and then we shall see what excuses people have of syaing i7 is not worth an upgrade :)

Nice improvement, its not night and day like it was when the core2 chips came out, but its a nice jump!

Nice article Kyle. i7 920 is looking pretty good to me beating out the QX9770 in many of the benchies but at a much lower projected cost. Now, if it turns out to be a solid overclocker then I imagine it could become a very popular processor because of it's bang for the buck. It's certainly making me want to get one sooner rather than later.

Nice preview, can't wait for the real-world testing!

Of course, the more I read of these, the more it'll hurt when I can't afford replacing my MB, CPU, and RAM. Plus, if I'm going to do all that, might as well replace the GPU as well... Maybe in a year or so I'll see a new computer. Until then, a boy can dream.

So glad I waited out til now for a quad. The i7 is gonna be the shiznit-o-tastic. Now all we need is a big jump forward in the graphics department and then PC can start reclaiming some of what we have lost to consoles over the past year or so.

Dear Lord and i'm still rocking on a x2 3800+....

don't feel badly, i am too pretty much (opty 165, same shit different pile) and i get by. if anything just video card upgrade is all i'd want and i'm not ready for that yet. money wise anyhow:p

I was gonna make a rig with the Q9550 quad core but should I just now get the i7 920??

Initially you'll have to deal with fairly expensive motherboards compared to X48 and P45 boards. This will change in time but However once Core i7 processors start showing up in retail you'll see price drops on Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad processors and their motherboards.

don't feel badly, i am too pretty much (opty 165, same shit different pile) and i get by. if anything just video card upgrade is all i'd want and i'm not ready for that yet. money wise anyhow:p

cant egt any worse then me running a goood old p4 northwood :D

Back