NOD32 Best Practice installation

LoStMaTt

2[H]4U
(Sorry I didn't buy it from you YeOldeStoneCat....please don't hate me)

I just purchased NOD32 Business Edition with Remote Administration and would like to have some input on best practice for installation.

I would love to be able to manage the remote sites from our central office here.

I have 14 remote terminals that are connected to our office by VPN. We are not under a Domain environment here or at the remote sites.

What would be the best way to set this all up?

Download the manual, it has good info. The key will be opening ports 2221,2222,2223 on any firewalls between server and client. If you plan on pushing installs you'll need additional ports open which is detailed in the manual.
Use the configuration editor to create a custom xml install file. From there there are various ways to run the install by either creating an installer package and pushing it to the client or copying the msi file onto the pc. Put your custom cfg.xml file into the same directory as the msi installer and it will use those settings during install if you are not pushing the install. V3 does not require a reboot after install. If you go with 2.7 you will have to reboot pc's.

why didn't you buy through me or yeolde?

what price did you get =) cause id beat it =)

open up ports for remote sites.

It was $1020 for 2 years, 30 licenses.

Haha reading the manual ftmfw :)

Just created a custom package after setting up passwords, update server IP, etc.

So I guess the only question I have is should I set up the remote sites to connect to my server via open ports, or just go through the VPN?

What do you guys think.

If you already have the satellites connected through a VPN....there is no reason to open/forward external ports such as 2222 for remote admin, or your custom http LAN mirror port. (8081 by default)

Depending upon the size of each satellite office, if they are large, it may be more efficient to setup a LAN update mirror at each of those.

You can also setup satellite RAS/RACs..and have them report to your head server.

YeOlde = nod32 man. I still call hiim for little things.

But yeah through VPN dont need to pop ports, like he said if satelite offices have a bunch of users may wanna create mirror at each one.

Anyway next time you need nod go through me or him. I would have beat that price =)

Forgot to mention I use an XP machine for my RAS/RAC. You do not need to use a server for your distribution point. Clarifying the port issue, you only need to open the ports on the RAS machine if it has a software firewall running on it. You don't need to open ports on the client pc's.

Back