Sunin Interview +++++ HARD DC'er of the Month — August 2008

Pocatello

DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x6
Staff member

Sunin Interview +++++ HARD DC'er of the Month — August 2008

Please join me in congratulating Sunin for being selected as the [H]ard DC’er of the month for August 2008. This is quite an honor when you consider that the [H]orde has over 1,400 active folders. Sunin is currently ranked #8 on our team, and he has 10.6 million points. In July of 2008 he produced 1.5 million points, ramping up in August and September of 2008 where he produced over 3 million points each month. He is ranked #101 in the world. Due to a move to a new residence in October of 2008 his points were reduced while he moved himself and his home farm.

I got a chance to speak with Sunin last week. He finished moving, has purchased a new home, and has plans to create a folding farm for his many boxen. When he turns on his farm the lights in neighboring towns will dim! I first interviewed Sunin back in August of 2008 when he had less points... and when he still lived in his condo. Some of the answers will reflect that the interview was conducted two months ago.

Stats Link

Basic Information:

How many F@H points do you have?

Seven million as of today and growing at about three million a month.

How about United Devices and WCG points?

Haven't started this but am looking into WCG and the fact we don't have an official team is what is holding me up.

How many boxen do you have? Break this number down between borgs and your personal machines.

12 machines all at my condo.

When did you start folding? What kind of project or projects did you participate in?

Around mid February 2008. I'm using SMP and GPUs.

When did you start folding for the [H]orde?

Of course I started here!

What is your average F@H points per month?

Three million.

Did you contribute to United Devices?

No.

How about WCG?

Not yet.

Any other DC projects?

SETI a while back.

What operating system do you primarily use?

Winxp, Vista.

If you use Linux, how familiar with Linux are you?

I don't use it and I am not familiar.

How many boxen do you have running the following clients?

regular client —
none
SMP client —
GPU client —

Have you tried Affinity Changer (AC)? If so, what were your results?

I use it on all machines.

Have you tried using Virtual Machines (VM’s)? If so, what were your results?

I've tried vms but was not happy with the results and the overall difficulty.

What about GPU-2 folding? How many nVidia versus ATI graphics cards?

All Nvidia at the moment, but I do plan to mix it up once they get ATI up.

Personal Information:

Name:
David

Internal Audit Manager. Maybe soon IA Director with my CPA, CISA and CNA certifications.

Hobbies:

lol duh... this!

What is your [H]ard OCP username? What is the meaning or significance of your [H]ardOCP username, if any?

Sunin which is short for my full nickname of Suninwhiplash, which was derived from my 400 RWHP 1999 10AE Miata.

Want to link to a picture of yourself?
Nah.

On to the interview:

Congratulations on being chosen the [H]ard DC'er for the month. How does it feel to be chosen by your peers for such a prestigious award?

I'm honored to be considered for such an award.

Why do you think you were chosen?

I think overall from my helping on the forums and my ramp to 110K points per day.

Why do you participate in Distributed Computing?

Combination of reasons, but mainly to benefit the cause. I also am a techy so building computers for me is fun!

Why do you DC for the [H]ard [H]orde at [H]ard OCP?

I've been a [H] member for a long time and just never folded. I was looking for a DC project and found that [H] had a team thus of course I'd be [H]ard and fold for the team!

If DC’ing could find a cure for just one disease tomorrow, which one would it be and why?

Cancer just because of the wide spread impact it has.

What would you like the [H]orde to know about you that might surprise them?

Hmmm, there is a chance I'll be moving to Nebraska soon. :(

Where do you see your DC’ing activities in the next year or two?

I've maxed out what my Condo can handle. If I do any more I'm going to have heat issues with the boxes.

Have you been successful borging? If so, what kind of borging worked for you? (For example, friends, family, and/or work?)

I've tried with work but no luck.

Where do you see the [H]ard DC sub-forum in the near future? Long term?

Long-term we need to get off the single project view. I hope other projects take hold and we offer a variety of support.

Are you involved in any special DC activities?

Nothing special. I've contributed to various projects and am part of the beta F@H team.

Any ideas on improving the [H]ard DC sub-forum, or suggestions or improvements for our Team?

The two things I would improve is setting the stats server up on some computer with a bit more power... it’s amazing how slow our updates go and it hiccups a lot lately.

When was the last time that you lied, and was it a good one?

I don't lie and if I say I'm going to do something I do it!

What do you have hiding underneath your bed?

Nothing, I have a water bed.

What is the heaviest piece of furniture in your home?

My huge sectional couch.

What is your favorite food?

I like a variety but probably Asian.

Do you think that your folding activities might improve your chances with the opposite sex?

Lol nope!

Do you game? If so, how long and what types do you prefer? Consoles or PC?

I have not played a PC game in half a year. I currently am playing overlord for PS3.

What challenges have you faced in your F@H efforts?

Stabilizing the network. I found that setting static IP addresses fixes this issue pretty well and I upgraded to a near enterprise class router and switch. The other challenge is ongoing and that is just keeping all the boxes total of 37 clients up to date. This is where I wish the client would upgrade itself instead of us having to do it manually.

What's your favorite color?

Blue.

Are you married, single, etc?

Single.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

I think anyone can contribute to this project and I hope they do what they can how they can, that is all that really matters.

On behalf of the [H]ard [H]orde, I thank you as well for your contributions to this team and I thank you for your time to talk about it.

Keep on folding!

Fold on For The Cure!

For the [H]orde!

Congratulations once again for being chosen as the [H]ard DC’er of the month.

.:D

Great interview here. I will try to make mine better now that I got my own set of questions :D

Fold on [H]ard !!

Thanks for the interview Sunin! I am looking forward to seeing pics of your farm in the new house.

Great interview Sunin. I hope the move went well and we're all looking forward to seeing you around these parts again.

And thanks for conducting them Pocatello.

2.png

I'm BbbbAaaaaCccccKkkk!

Pictures to come soon! :) And I'm assuming a fat electrician bill sometime soon too :p

Nice read and an awesome interview. Nice to see your back as well. Looking forward to the pics! Hope the move went well.

Was the electrician like WTF?.? You can probably expect a visit from the local sheriff soon..:D

/rural cop voice* Well there Mr Sunin, we're keeping an eye on you. We don't know what you're up to yet but we have a strange report from Sparky that you may be up to something. Why you need all that power son?

I'm BbbbAaaaaCccccKkkk!

Pictures to come soon! :) And I'm assuming a fat electrician bill sometime soon too :p

Congrats Sunin.

My guess is that power will be cheaper where you are now.

Back