Origami Master

Kendrak

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2009
That is the name of my main folding Rig.

It is very similar to Tigers rigs (just one less 9800GX2)

I have some folding p0rn for you too.....

omaster3.jpg

omaster4.jpg

The specs:

D975xBX2 Mother Board
E2140 CPU
2GB of RAM
60GB Seagate HDD
Corsair 750TX PSU
3x EVGA 9800GX2
(I have added a few extra fans no pictured)

The Rig pulls 600 watts from the wall (bit more with all new WU, but less with all old WU)
This comes out to 480 watts internal, well under the 750 stated wattage of the PSU, or 60A on the 12V rail.

killwatt.jpg

I'm more than willing to help anyone who is looking to put together a rig like this in the future.

Things I've learned:

You can run a bunch of GPU cores (6 in my case) off a upper mid sized PSU with no problem (I do advise keeping an eye on it with a Kill-O-Watt

A system like this running the old WU has a bottleneck somewhere. (either mobo or CPU) However once you get a couple new WU in the system the old WU go to full production and the new WU are right inline with where they should be. (Old:5500ppd, New 3500ppd)

I will keep this thread updated with new findings.
If anyone else has a multi rig like this feel free to post pics and things that they have found out.

That is some serious folding p0rn! How hot are those GX2s getting all packed in like that?

This beg for a question : Can it run crysis ? :D

Impressive rig you got there.

Sweet! Looks like you need a mini nukular device in there to power them.
I put each of my 2 GTX 260's on there own power supply just for good measure.

Very nice. Just the sight of those cards right next to each other is so hot. However the effect is ruined by that sloppy hard drive mounting job.....;)

My light version of such a box should be done this week. My third 9600GSO is on the way to fully populate my Evga 680i.

I also picked up a P6N Diamond this weekend. Time to start filling it up. ;) First up is an 8800GS which is also on the way.

Holy crap Kendrak :eek:

Thanks a whole bunch for posting those pics. It sure shows the "Origami Master" is one beautiful looking boxen. I also want to say thanks for the posts of the kill-o-watt meter (597w) and saying, for us with "inquiring" minds, that the Corsair 750TX PSU can handle it. Also thanks for the "skinny" on the old WU's vs the new WU's :D

Please keep us up to date ;)

Folding and WCGing for the CURE

Nice...... Are you still changing the PSU if the current one is sufficient?

ROC

That's one sexy looking setup.

I have to ask though, WTF is with that hard drive mounting?

It speeds up the data transfer in one direction... :)

Very nice looking indeed. That PSU will pull 4 to 10 AMPS at the wall so unless you have an overheat issue it should be fine.

Now, Ken, please, PM me your address, I'll mail you some friggen screws;)

Leave my HDD alone.

It is an old case and to fit it in I had to put it into the floppy area. The screws do not line up.

I can buy a new case (this one is 8 years old) but why.... there are more boxen bits to buy that contribute to ppd. :p

Leave my HDD alone.

It is an old case and to fit it in I had to put it into the floppy area. The screws do not line up.

I can buy a new case (this one is 8 years old) but why.... there are more boxen bits to buy that contribute to ppd. :p
Don't worry about it, the HD is fine. I have at least one system with similar HD setup and no screws at all. It's not for show so I'm not concerned about it. In another system, the HD is actually hanging vertically by a PATA IDE cable between the plastic casing cover and the metal chassis itself, and thus totally invisible yet still ghetto nonetheless. :p

The SWMBO says that you should use some duct tape, or even chewing gum to hold that drive in place. and that if you should need some she could send it in the mail.

seriously dude, it cant be that hard to fix up a case to make it picture perfect. I'm still running my Main Rig in an inWin beige box that is something like 10 years old. it has had surgery with hack saws, Dremmels, drills, jig saws, sawsalls, soldering irons, xacto knives, pocket knives, you get the point. A full tower that originally had a 250W P/S and 3 80mm fans, it was a P3 450 (top of the line back then), with both a RivaTNT and Voodoo2 SLI), has converted over the years to house a 550W P/S with 3 120mm fans and 4 front USBs (I just got done soldering my 4 port this morning, it was a one port that I made back in the P3 1G days.), and a filtered 120x240mm intake to feed the intake fans air not dust. Powered by the rig in my sig). There has got to be a way to "geeetterrrrrduuun" that can make your tower look nice and have all its screws.

There is something I'm trying to figure out. If you had a MSI K9A2 Platinum in this computer, how would you fit the 4th 9800GX2 in there? Would you have to mod your case? I know that all 9800 GX2s are dual slot coolers.

You'd have to mod the case, if there's room for the card.

Standard ATX spec is for only 7 expansion slots.
So there are only a couple of cases, that I know of, that have over 7 expansion slots.
I use the Termaltake Armor+ case with my quad GX2's.
Lian-Li make the other.

Luck ........... :D

I'll post close ups of the offending HDD if you want, but I'm not fixing it. :p

It sits in the basement, and this is the first time I touched the computer in 2 months. Tight VNC FTW. :cool:

(well maybe if Kyle/Steve wants to put it on the front page, but I doubt they will)

You'd have to mod the case, if there's room for the card.

Standard ATX spec is for only 7 expansion slots.
So there are only a couple of cases, that I know of, that have over 7 expansion slots.
I use the Termaltake Armor+ case with my quad GX2's.
Lian-Li make the other.

Luck ........... :D

Wow, I didn't even think of that when I started planning my 4 card box. I just checked and I'm lucky I was planning on using a CM-590 because it has 8 slots.

That is a nice rig there Kendrak. My SWIMBO was complaining about the whine my computer makes when folding this weekend. I had to turn it off while she was sitting near the computer. I can't imagine what yours might sound like.

That is a nice rig there Kendrak. My SWIMBO was complaining about the whine my computer makes when folding this weekend. I had to turn it off while she was sitting near the computer. I can't imagine what yours might sound like.

You can't hear the wine over the fans :p

That is the name of my main folding Rig.

It is very similar to Tigers rigs (just one less 9800GX2)

I have some folding p0rn for you too.....

omaster3.jpg

omaster4.jpg

The specs:

D975xBX2 Mother Board
E2140 CPU
2GB of RAM
60GB Seagate HDD
Corsair 750TX PSU
3x EVGA 9800GX2
(I have added a few extra fans no pictured)

The Rig pulls 600 watts from the wall (bit more with all new WU, but less with all old WU)
This comes out to 480 watts internal, well under the 750 stated wattage of the PSU, or 60A on the 12V rail.

I'm more than willing to help anyone who is looking to put together a rig like this in the future.

Things I've learned:

You can run a bunch of GPU cores (6 in my case) off a upper mid sized PSU with no problem (I do advise keeping an eye on it with a Kill-O-Watt

A system like this running the old WU has a bottleneck somewhere. (either mobo or CPU) However once you get a couple new WU in the system the old WU go to full production and the new WU are right inline with where they should be. (Old:5500ppd, New 3500ppd)

I will keep this thread updated with new findings.
If anyone else has a multi rig like this feel free to post pics and things that they have found out.

nice rig
Whats with all the fancy cable management though? Needs to be messier.

Did you see what they did to me for one missing screw on my HDD.

Ahh.. The hard drive is fine, it is just sitting at an angle so that it will be ready to launch when the air inside the hdd super expands from all the heat generated by those videocards resulting in an explosion that propels it from your basement to your attic.

An update:

I swapped out the proc in the box for a E4500.

I see a major improvement so far.

I'm getting an extra 1k ppd out of each client

For anyone who plans on running more then 4 GPUs in a box, a E4500 is the MINIMUM that you want to run. 4 or less a E2140 is fine.

Update Pt 2:

Power consumption is up ~55 watts. I'm now at about 655 watts constant draw. That comes out to 528 inside the box. Well within the 750 the PSU can supply, however I don't want to see it go very much higher than what it is now.

That's interesting. It's the first time I've seen it mentioned that the CPU can make such a big difference in the performance of the GPU2 client. Especially with the nVidia client which sees relatively little CPU utilization. I guess it makes a difference as the number of clients scale beyond a specific number. Nonetheless, 1K per client is a huge difference from a simple CPU swap.

Nice rig. I have to ask though, WTF is with that hard drive mounting?

One screw is more than enough to get the job done eh :D

He used the one screw I was forced to take out because mine was too perfect!

(well maybe if Kyle/Steve wants to put it on the front page, but I doubt they will)
Now that would be awesome. They could post one of your GPU boxen and one of mine.

nice rig
Whats with all the fancy cable management though? Needs to be messier.

They can't all be like mine ... he does have one cable out of place.
Actually, my hard drive is mounted backwards so the connections are close to the front of the case to better hide them. I know, I have too much free time.

Also, I better see those images posted over at HardFolding.com .... :)

We need more in the Farming Section!

Back