Okay, so here are my choices so far for my starter 2.1 system...

leetpyro

Limp Gawd
First of all, I'd like to apologize for all the threads recently, but as you can see, I'm really trying to get myself a good quality, and decently priced 2.1 setup for my computer.
So, I finally narrowed down my choices and here is what I came up with:

Subwoofer: Klipsch Synergy Subwoofer (Sub-10)
This is pretty much the best NEW sub I could find for $250 (before taxes), so this is probably what I'm going to get

Now here is where I'm confused, I don't know which one of these to choose, so hopefully you guys can help me find the best match for the sub.

$163, tax included, can pick up in-store: M-Audio Studiophile AV-40

$196, tax and shipping included: Behringer MS40

$224, tax included, free shipping: Edirol MA-15D

$133, tax and shipping included: Polk Audio Bookshelf Speakers RTi4

I'm more interested in comments on the powered monitors. So if someone could help me out with those, that would be great.

Thanks once again!

Here's a nice review of the Klipsch Sub-10 if anyway else wants to chime in on that sub.

leetpyro, I was actually going to suggest those Polks earlier but then I remembered you don't have an amp. Decent speakers for the price though. They'd most likely sound killer with that sub.

Hopefully someone else here knows more about those powered speakers as I know absolutely nothing about them. There are so many factors like actual quality of the drivers, built in amps, power supply, & strength of the enclosures. I'm guessing anything plastic is going to have a nasty vibration at upper volumes.

If you can find an amp, definitely get the Polks.

Here's a nice review of the Klipsch Sub-10 if anyway else wants to chime in on that sub.

leetpyro, I was actually going to suggest those Polks earlier but then I remembered you don't have an amp. Decent speakers for the price though. They'd most likely sound killer with that sub.

If you can find an amp, definitely get the Polks.

Yea I was thinking they would sound amazing for the price as well, but then I need to get an amp. If someone can suggest an amp for around $100 for this set (I don't know if that is possible?), then perhaps I could get these.

The Polks are a great deal...wow. For even the full price not only do you get 2 speakers, but it comes with dual binding posts! So in the future if you ever get "hardcore" ;), you could bi-wire these puppies.

Try Kijiji.ca in the electronics section of your city. Where in Canada are you anyway?

239474mainsb800x600wp3.jpg

The Polks are a great deal...wow. For even the full price not only do you get 2 speakers, but it comes with dual binding posts! So in the future if you ever get "hardcore" ;), you could bi-wire these puppies.

Try Kijiji.ca in the electronics section of your city. Where in Canada are you anyway?

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/9379/239474mainsb800x600wp3.jpg

What's the bi-wire stuff supposed to be? What are the advantages of it?

I live in Toronto. Even if I did look on Kijiji, I'd have no idea what to look for and how to tell if something is good. This is my first decent setup. I've only been using "PC audio" before this. :p

Oh and, do you live in Canada as well?

What's the bi-wire stuff supposed to be? What are the advantages of it?

See the gold connector on the binding posts? Well if you were to bi-wire then you'd take them off and connect wires to all 4 posts (8 total). It gives the tweeter and woofer separate power resulting in a slightly cleaner sound.

I'm in Sudbury.

Bi-wiring is for the major audio snobs. ;) The whole debate or pros vs. cons is all up in the air. But still, it will impress the ladies. ;) Anyway, some say that bi-wiring allows you to isolate the tweeter and the woofer instead of driving them both from the same signal.

I think any home audio receiver or power amp would blow away a set of powered speakers. The size of a typical amp/receiver may be an issue for some though. I noticed many ppl here use full sized amps when I was looking through the Speaker Setup thread.

Here's one option if you really want only a serious PC setup. 10 watts x 2 backed up with 200 watt sub can do some serious damage. :)

Or this.

Thanks for the bi-wire explanations. I doubt I'll be using that though. :p

I'm in Sudbury.
I think any home audio receiver or power amp would blow away a set of powered speakers. The size of a typical amp/receiver may be an issue for some though. I noticed many ppl here use full sized amps when I was looking through the Speaker Setup thread.

Here's one option if you really want only a serious PC setup. 10 watts x 2 backed up with 200 watt sub can do some serious damage. :)

Or this.

Both of these amps would allow me to power the Polks and use the subwoofers with them? Could you explain to me briefly how everything would hook up if I were to use one of these amps with the Polks and the sub?

Also, which amp is better? I've seen of people with the T-amp, but haven't heard much about the other one. Although, it does look cooler, and it has a headphone jack + mute. :p

Edit: Actually, I looked at one of the comments on the page for the Scythe amp, and this guy is saying it's only good as a headphone amp, but a joke for bookshelves. Are you sure these amps are strong enough to power these bookshelves? 'Cause I have no idea. :p

I suggest getting a proper 2 channel integrated amp like the A-35R.

Yeah the T-Amp has a bit more power too.

The Klipsch sub has L/R inputs for your speaker wire and has outputs for you to plug your bookshelfs into. Or you could just double wire at the back of the amp, one wire going to the shelf speaker and one wire going to the sub (x2 of course).

312ry2brfillss400cp2.jpg

Edit: Actually, I looked at one of the comments on the page for the Scythe amp, and this guy is saying it's only good as a headphone amp, but a joke for bookshelves. Are you sure these amps are strong enough to power these bookshelves? 'Cause I have no idea. :p

The Pioneer vs. the T-Amp Note that the thread is about the 1st gen T-Amp. Same power, same sound at the 2nd gen though.

Trust me, That 15 watt amp paired with that 200 watt sub will destroy any bookshelf stereo or Logitech (Logicrap) PC system.

The amp I bought for my PC sound system puts out 8 watts per channel at 8 ohms (16 watts per channel at 4 ohms). I can't take it past 4 because it would certaintly piss some people off. Actaully, it's at 2 most of the time. When gaming, even lower because the bass is so intense from grenades and shotgun blasts. ;)

T-Amp 2G Review

"Remember the Sonic Impact T-Amp? It was that tiny $30 amplifier that, according to audiophiles, beat the crap out of $300 gear. Now the second generation is finally here at more than double the previous price. Fortunately, according to the "experts", it also packs double the oomph and now it's comparable to $800 gear"

Yeah the T-Amp has a bit more power too.

The Klipsch sub has L/R inputs for your speaker wire and has outputs for you to plug your bookshelfs into. Or you could just double wire at the back of the amp, one wire going to the shelf speaker and one wire going to the sub (x2 of course).

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5246/312ry2brfillss400cp2.jpg

Sorry for my ignorance, but I still don't understand this. I'm a big audio noob :p

So for the computer to amp, is there a wire going from the computer's out to the amp's stereo in plug?

Then from the amp to speakers, the L channel goes to the left speakers, and the R channel to the right, but how does the sub fit in exactly?

...or is what I said just completely wrong? :confused: lol

Kind of funny how I said I wanted to stay away from the Polks, but now every post in this thread is about them. Oh well, as long as I can figure out the setup, lol. :p

Can anyone comment on the powered monitors? I would like to know how they are against the Polks.

Well that T-Amp has a small input like the ones you have on your sound card. You'd need one of those cables that has 2 plugs on each end...the same as on a pair of headphones.

As far as the sub, you could wire the amps left and right speaker outs directly to the sub and hook the bookshelf speakers up to the subs outputs. I did mine high level, where I put 2 wires on the left and on the right of my amp, one from each side going to the sub and the other going to the speaker for that respective side. As you can see, I have 2 wires going into each plug.

biwireplugssz6.jpg

Well that T-Amp has a small input like the ones you have on your sound card. You'd need one of those cables that has 2 plugs on each end...the same as on a pair of headphones.

As far as the sub, you could wire the amps left and right speaker outs directly to the sub and hook the bookshelf speakers up to the subs outputs. I did mine high level, where I put 2 wires on the left and on the right of my amp, one from each side going to the sub and the other going to the speaker for that respective side. As you can see, I have 2 wires going into each plug.

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/6136/biwireplugssz6.jpg

Oh okay, that makes more sense to me now. :D Thanks for that.

And man, I don't know if I'm getting carried away here or not. If I wanted to get this setup, I'd have to get everything within this week, giving me no time to think about anything else. I'm hesitant about this because the holiday season and boxing day sales are going to be coming up, and I don't know how good those will be. Sigh... Decisions, decisions. :(

That's an great price on those polk's. I don't imagine their price going any lower, holiday season or not. Similar thoughts for that 10" Klipsch sub, it's not often BestBuy drops their price that low, you might find it for a little less in a few weeks, or they may ramp the price back up again.

The T-amp is a good idea imho, but so is a low priced or used stereo receiver (perhaps you can scope the used market?). That part i'll leave up to you.

Personally i say buy as soon as possible, you've found some great deals on good gear, now you just gotta pull the trigger.

Have fun with your new setup :)

You can still buy the sub. You can always get your money back within 30 days if you change your mind. Maybe even the Polks too. I'd find out if you can return them to any Futureshop for a refund.

Just make a list of the pros and cons and go with whatever has the most benefits in the long run.

BTW...I just saw 2 Technics receivers for $50 on Kijiji Toronto and I just started looking!

Oh, and now a Yamaha for $75! :p

That's an great price on those polk's. I don't imagine their price going any lower, holiday season or not. Similar thoughts for that 10" Klipsch sub, it's not often BestBuy drops their price that low, you might find it for a little less in a few weeks, or they may ramp the price back up again.
*snip*
Personally i say buy as soon as possible, you've found some great deals on good gear, now you just gotta pull the trigger.

Have fun with your new setup :)

Yea I'm really debating on whether or not to pull the trigger.. I know these prices are really good, and I might end up ordering the Polks at least (when I decide on an amp), but I can't help but wonder if the price on that sub is going to lower or not.

You can still buy the sub. You can always get your money back within 30 days if you change your mind. Maybe even the Polks too. I'd find out if you can return them to any Futureshop for a refund.

Just make a list of the pros and cons and go with whatever has the most benefits in the long run.

BTW...I just saw 2 Technics receivers for $50 on Kijiji Toronto and I just started looking!

Oh, and now a Yamaha for $75! :p

Hey, can you PM me some of the receivers you think are worth it please? :p Thanks.

EDIT: omg I think I am definately going to get the Polks and Klipsch now. I just called up my cousin who works at Bestbuy, and he said since Christmas shopping season is in effect, you get until JANUARY 5 to return products! Yay, no more worrying about prices! Hehe, that just made me so happy.

Yeah, I think you made the right choice. I'll look at some amps and send you some links tomorrow.

Although I'm still going to buy the Polk set and try to find a good amp/receiver for it, can someone comment on the powered monitors anyway? How do they stand up to the Polks?

For example, since I'd be using my on-board sound for the Polks (probably witha T-Amp), can they still compare to something like the Behringers or Edirols using their built-in DAC/Amp?

I'd like to know please, because I still have a lot of time to make up my mind. :p

Back