AMD to enable ATI Stream for Radeon HD 4000s and take on CUDA

Snowknight26

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=22857&catid=3

Set to be enabled through the Catalyst 8.12 driver, which is scheduled for a December 10 release, ATI Stream will see the Stream Processors of Radeon cards be used for more than 'just' games. With Stream, the GPUs will be put to good use in software like the ATI Avivo Video Converter utility and application from ArcSoft and CyberLink and make demanding computing tasks run a lot faster than they do on CPUs. According to AMD, the ATI Stream SDK will be fully OpenCL compliant.

I'm so glad too. Can't wait to see applications (much like DGAVCDecNV) start popping up that can put my card to use.

I don't understand the implications of this :confused:

Isn't this what FireGL is for?

Will this also increase FPS in games by chance?

I think this possibly means physx on ati cards. Also, more programs will run off the gpu instead of the cpu.

ATI cards were capable of folding long before nVidia cards were. GPU1 from F@H was for ATI only. It wasn't until this spring that the nVidia client was released which could only work on 8xxx series and newer. ATI series 2xxx and newer can fold at this time. Points output has been lower on the ATI cards thus far but future work is expected to narrow the gap because larger, more complex proteins will work better on ATIs larger number of shader processors.

Folding has been possible on ATi cards before Nvidia.

I want to see how well the transcoder looks and runs. I may halt on converting my DVDs to H.264 if it can look as good as AutoMKV w/ x264. Takes me about 1.5* the length of the movie to convert it into something decent with my Q6600.

I don't understand the implications of this :confused:

Isn't this what FireGL is for?

Will this also increase FPS in games by chance?

"ATI is using the phrase "stream computing" to refer to the class of applications more commonly referred to under the GPGPU label, an acronym which refers to general-purpose processing on a graphics processing unit. CEO Dave Orton explained that ATI chose the term stream computing because the class of computing problems the GPU handles well are primarily about data flow, a characteristic that separates these problems from the types of computation at which CPUs have traditionally excelled.

Orton identified a number of specific areas where ATI sees opportunities for GPUs to accelerate computation, including medical research, analysis of video and audio data for security applications (such as facial recognition), financial analysis, seismic modeling for oil and gas exploration, media search applications, physics simulations in video games, and media encoding. "

ATI dives into stream computing
http://techreport.com/articles.x/10956/1

If this can convert videos much faster than my quad core, I guess that I won't need Core i7 soon. I hope that I can make use of the 2.4 Teraflops computational power on my HD4870 X2.

Oh boy potential PhysX support, let's look at the big name games using it that are expected for 2009:

..hey, that Havok physics engine looks pretty widely supported, doesn't it?

Well it's good from a marketing standpoint - Nvidia and their worshippers have really pushed Cuda has a huge reason to get a Geforce card instead of a Radeon. Now they only need to implement GPU-accelerated physics in about 3 games and 3DMark, and the playing field will have been leveled :p

Well it's good from a marketing standpoint - Nvidia and their worshippers have really pushed Cuda has a huge reason to get a Geforce card instead of a Radeon. Now they only need to implement GPU-accelerated physics in about 3 games and 3DMark, and the playing field will have been leveled :p
lol

folding should be possible on ATi cards with this update

ATI cards were capable of folding long before nVidia cards were. GPU1 from F@H was for ATI only. It wasn't until this spring that the nVidia client was released which could only work on 8xxx series and newer. ATI series 2xxx and newer can fold at this time. Points output has been lower on the ATI cards thus far but future work is expected to narrow the gap because larger, more complex proteins will work better on ATIs larger number of shader processors.

wow visit the forums much?

Had to read that a couple of times
wink.gif

But ATi X1900 series were the first working with F@H, Can't they fold anymore?

ATi cards always support folding since X1900:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-ATI
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-ATI2

http://ati.amd.com/technology/streamcomputing/folding.html
The latest GPU Folding@Home client now supports (ATI Catalyst™ 8.3 or later required):
ATI Radeon™ HD 3800 Series
ATI Radeon™ HD 3600 Series
ATI Radeon™ HD 3400 Series
ATI Radeon™ HD 2900 Series
ATI Radeon™ HD 2600 Series
ATI Radeon™ HD 2400 Series
Previous ATI Radeon™ X1000 Series GPUs (ATI Radeon™ X1600 Series and higher) will only be supported by the previous GPU client

Back