my EVGA GTX 260 OC doesn't fit in my mobo (asus p5q deluxe)

evophile

n00b
Hi all

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the mobo or video card forums but here I am.

Anyways I just purchased an EVGA Geforce 260 GTX Superclocked and an Asus P5Q Deluxe.

I believe I'm dealing with what I've read about before with the 2 capacitors on the end of the pci-e slot blocking the card from locking in because of that damn tab sticking out of the bottom of the 260.

The thing is, I see tons of people who say they have that card and that board and that theres no problem now, and that a revision might have solved this. Is that really the case?

And the weirdest part is that I got it to seat properly *once*. I have no idea how, but it locked and actually worked (the fan would never spin on POST).

But I had to take it out because I noticed it was crushing something and in 4 hours yesterday I could not get it to lock in place again.

It's driving me crazy! Any suggestions?

Would you care to take a picture of the situation? That way we could see how to fix it as well as possibly inform others if there is a clearance issue.

I'm at work right now so I can't take pics, but here are some web pics.

P5QDeluxe.jpg

As you can see where I circled, those two capacitors are almost the same height as the blue pci-e slot.

896-P3-1262-AR_1.jpg

And here on the 260 that little black tab extends all the way down touching those capacitors.
I think and from what I've seen online that that is causing the problem.

However every thread I find about it are months old and I've seen lots of people talking about their rigs and how they have this same card and mobo combo.

And I did get it to fit once, but it seems I was just really lucky

The tab looks like its comming from the pcb on the card, if that's the case it wouldn't be what's causing your issue. I suspect you are experiencing something more common like the tabs on the end of your backplate catching on the edge of their retainers. Since you know for a fact that it can fit I'd recomend getting a flashlight and with a bit of patience atempting to reseat your card being sure to pay close attn to where the caps are and that the back plate is flush with the back of your case and not hanging up on anything. Good luck!

The tab looks like its comming from the pcb on the card, if that's the case it wouldn't be what's causing your issue. I suspect you are experiencing something more common like the tabs on the end of your backplate catching on the edge of their retainers. Since you know for a fact that it can fit I'd recomend getting a flashlight and with a bit of patience atempting to reseat your card being sure to pay close attn to where the caps are and that the back plate is flush with the back of your case and not hanging up on anything. Good luck!

Hi, thanks for the reply. Its def not the tabs. I took the mobo out of the case and put it on some cardboard and the card just wont go in. I can see from all sides now, and I def think that its getting blocked by the capacitors.

When I try putting it in the other pci-e slots it snaps and I hear that "locking" sound immediately. and the card sits up straight with no wobbling.

This is pretty frustrating as it seems the only thing I can do is buy a new motherboard and that I basically wasted $200 on the one I have now.

son of a fucking bitch, who's the dumbass responsible for this? :mad:

The Asus P5Q Deluxe rev 1.03g does allow the fitting of an Nvidia 280 series graphics card. After you verify that with Asus make them trade.

The Asus P5Q Deluxe rev 1.03g does allow the fitting of an Nvidia 280 series graphics card. After you verify that with Asus make them trade.
they got rid of the capacitors? good to know, but I can't really go without my main system for 2 weeks
I got it working with a zip tie, tacky but should be fine...now I'm thinking of upgrading to i7 :p

One of our techs has the same card and board and I havnt heard him complain about anything, are they leaning mybe?

Back