Vista 64 bit Failed Instal on Rampage Extreme

I have a new build: ASUS Rampage Extreme motherboard, BIOS 701, HIS Hitech Radeon 4870 video card, Intel CPU E8600, WD VelociRaptor HD's, LG DVD burner, mushkin SDRAM DDR3 memory.

NONE of the components that require updated x64 bit drivers have drivers [video card and DVD burner]. BOTH of these components HAVE been recognized by the Rampage Extreme BIOS.

After the successful installation of the BIOS the next step was the installation of the Vista Ultimate x64 bit operating system. The first two efforts failed and the "blue screen of death" advised me that several of my components were either not compatable with Vista or needed to be updated with the most recent x64 bit drivers.

After the second failure I attempted to install Vista in Safe Mode. This time I was encouraged as a black screen appeared and it indicated that SP1 was being installed from the Vista Ultimate DVD. This also failed with the "blue screen of death" pronouncing the same need for drivers OR removing the components.

I cannot remove the DVD drive because I need it for the Ultimate DVD.

I cannot remove the video card because if need it to read the monitor.

I cannot install the updated x64 drivers because I cannot get into the operating system to download and install them

I pray that someone more knowledgable than I in the forum can guide me or direct me to a source for assistance.

Thank you one and all for any assistance you can provide.:mad:

How much RAM do you have installed in the box, and have you booted memtest to make sure it's stable? I remember Vista x64 (pre SP1) having issues installing with 4+GB of RAM in the system. The work around was to run with only 2GB of RAM in the system to installl Windows, then put the rest back in once you were up and running.

Sounds like you have an SP1 disk...but it might be worth a shot to try the install again with only 2GB of RAM this time.

I had problems with my initial Vista-64 bit install on the Rampage Extreme - also got BSODs. Here's what worked for me:

Only put 1 stick of RAM in (1 X 2GB G.Skill 1600 MHz in my case)

Set RAM timings manually in BIOS ... 7-7-7-18 for mine

Set DRAM voltage to 0.05 below stock setting (e.g. 1.85 for 1.90 )

And ... what finally worked for me, setting RAM Frequency to 1333 instead of Auto or 1601 MHz).

From here, I was able to successfully install Vista, do my driver updates, and run successfully. It worked fine when I then installed the second 2GB Ram stick. Note ... I have not had time to play around and up RAM frequency yet.

A couple other settings I used ... CPU PLL voltage at 1.5V and Load Line Calibration Disabled. Not sure these are critical, just saw them recommended numerous times.

Good Luck.

How much RAM do you have installed in the box, and have you booted memtest to make sure it's stable? I remember Vista x64 (pre SP1) having issues installing with 4+GB of RAM in the system. The work around was to run with only 2GB of RAM in the system to installl Windows, then put the rest back in once you were up and running.

Sounds like you have an SP1 disk...but it might be worth a shot to try the install again with only 2GB of RAM this time.

I had read this might be true and on my last effort to install Vista I only had one stick of memory in place.

I have downloaded and burned to DVD the Vista SP1 which I will attempt to install BEFORE attempting a Vista install. I have two other alternatives I may try before turing this over to my excellent local computer guru. The first aide will be the use of vLite and the second is to utilize the Linux "Ubuntu" version.

Thank you for your note.:)

I had problems with my initial Vista-64 bit install on the Rampage Extreme - also got BSODs. Here's what worked for me:

Only put 1 stick of RAM in (1 X 2GB G.Skill 1600 MHz in my case)

Set RAM timings manually in BIOS ... 7-7-7-18 for mine

Set DRAM voltage to 0.05 below stock setting (e.g. 1.85 for 1.90 )

And ... what finally worked for me, setting RAM Frequency to 1333 instead of Auto or 1601 MHz).

From here, I was able to successfully install Vista, do my driver updates, and run successfully. It worked fine when I then installed the second 2GB Ram stick. Note ... I have not had time to play around and up RAM frequency yet.

A couple other settings I used ... CPU PLL voltage at 1.5V and Load Line Calibration Disabled. Not sure these are critical, just saw them recommended numerous times.

Good Luck.

This is exactly the type of advice I need! Would you be kind enough to send me a copy of you BIOS settings so I can configure mine to match your successful build? [[email protected]]

This morning my research has led me to consider one or more of the following procedures. First, I have downloaded and saved to disc the Vista SP1 pack even though it exists on the new Vista Ultimate 64 DVD I purchased from Newegg. Perhaps this might address some of the problems. Second, my research led me to an intriguing aide called vLite; it is a pre-install utility that prepares a system in advance of the actual installation of Vista! Finally, if all else fails I may revert to installing the "Ubuntu" version of Linux; at least I would be able to access the Internet and hopefully download all of the necessary drivers et al. to get my new build up and running.

Again, thank you so much for taking your valuable time to answer my plea for assistance. I am 77 years old and have mounted this venture mainly to keep my old mind active.

Sincerely,
Dick Brown:D

Dick ...

I can't check out my other BIOS settings now, as my board is down as I await arrival of some replacement water cooling blocks.

I do know that I didn't touch any other settings than what I mentioned in the post above ( I know that doesn't necessarily mean your board is at the same stock settings, but I believe my Board was at BIOS 301 when I did the install - I've since updated to 701).

The other thing I didn't mention is that I had my one RAM stick installed in the white slot closest to the CPU.

NOTE - I think working with this board will keep your young mind active! Lots to learn when it comes to OC'ing. And, I'm 55 and a grandmother - that might trump your 77 :). Wishing you the best.

Just reitterating that vista 64 gets pissy if you dont install the "vista update from january 07" with more than 2gb of ram. Its actually not included in the SP1. I just did a fresh install last thursday so i got to go through all of this again.

9 out of 10 blue screens on install are ram problems. use 1 stick. could be the 4gb glitch, but i havent had that on my installs since sp1. the only bios setting you may/should have to adjust on a default machine is vdimm. if you have an xp disc, or a vist 32 bit disc, try to install these and see if it blue screens.

Gentlemen,

I have given up banging my head against the wall and have given it problem over to my excellent computer genius. When he resolves the problem I will report back as well as post the specific BIOS settings and computer components.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Katoman1932:(

just as an fyi if you cant get it running i will give you $1 for the board........ well thats kind of low how about $2?

:p

Good luck

Back