L4D Splitscreen issue

inotocracy

Supreme [H]ardness
So I've got L4D setup in splitscreen mode, and I've been playing it with my son and so far its a blast. The problem is for some reason it isn't an even vertical split-- there are huge black borders in the middle and on the sides. Anyone know how to stretch the screen size so it fits the entire monitors? My monitors are 1440x900 each, so in horizontal span mode its one large display at 2880x900. You'd think it would be evenly divided. Here is a shrunk photo:

l4d_small.jpg

Here is the full size:

http://www.ccorpsoft.com/l4d.jpg

Edit: alternatively, I just tried setting my displays to one large vertical display equaling a resolution of 1440x1800, then set L4D at that resolution and it was a bit of an improvement, although the black bars are now on top and bottom (like a widescreen movie). Anyone with some input greatly appreciated in getting the screens to fill in:

l4d_vertical_small.jpg

Full size:

http://www.ccorpsoft.com/l4d_vertical.jpg

Wait...so you have splitscreen setup on your PC?

Oh damn....I didn't even realize it had this ability. How many does it support? I may need to set this up on the projector in the office this weekend. How are you controlling it? Xbox controllers?

This may be the way the game compensates for having to render 2 POV's. It might chop part off so that it is rendering less? I'm not sure how exactly it works on the PC version.

No, I've seen other setups where it is evenly divided, I'm wondering if its because its an odd resolution? There must be a way to stretch it. On my system, at 2880x900 or 1440x1800 it runs buttery smooth even with 4x AA, they did a good job. I've been using a vertical span setup at 1440x1800, then using horizontal split since it seems to divide the screen better that way until I can figure out a way to stretch the POV.

You can only do two players, to do it you do:

ss_enable 1
ss_splitmode 0 (0 for auto, 1 for horizontal, 2 for vertical I believe)

Then just start the game. You can change the second player's name by doing "name2 NAME". After you get in the game you do:

exec 360controller.cfg

In my 360controller.cfg I have:

Code:
joystick 1
joy_advanced "1" // use advanced joystick options (allows for multiple axes)

joy_advaxisx 3 // move left/right
joy_advaxisy 1 // move forward/back
joy_advaxisz 4 // look up/down
joy_advaxisr 2 // look left/right
joy_advaxisu 0 // unused
joy_advaxisv 0 // unused
joy_forwardsensitivity -1.0 // movement sensitivity
joy_sidesensitivity 1.0
joy_forwardthreshold 0.1 // movement dead zone settings
joy_sidethreshold 0.0
joy_pitchsensitivity 1.0 // look sensitivity
joy_yawsensitivity -1.0
joy_pitchthreshold 0.1 // look dead zone settings
joy_yawthreshold 0.25

joy_variable_frametime 1
joy_autoaimdampenrange 0.85
joy_autoaimdampen 0.5
joy_lowend 0.65
joy_lowmap 0.15
joy_accelscale 3.0
joy_accelmax 4.0
joy_response_move 5
joy_response_look 1
joy_autoaimdampen 0.3
joy_autoaimdampenrange 0.85
joyadvancedupdate // advanced joystick update allows for analog control of move and look

// controller2 bindings
+jlook // enable joystick look
cmd2 bind "A_BUTTON" "+use" // button 1
cmd2 bind "B_BUTTON" "toggle_duck" //  button 2
cmd2 bind "X_BUTTON" "lastinv" // button 3
cmd2 bind "Y_BUTTON" "+jump" // button 4
cmd2 bind "L_SHOULDER" "+attack2" // button 5
cmd2 bind "R_SHOULDER" "+attack" // button 6
cmd2 bind "BACK" "+reload" // button 7
cmd2 bind "START" "+lookspin" // button 8
cmd2 bind "STICK1" "vocalize smartlook" // button 9
cmd2 bind "STICK2" "+zoom" // button 10

//the following are only used when the mode light is off
cmd2 bind "UP" "invnext" // DPad Up
cmd2 bind "LEFT" "slot3" // DPad Left
cmd2 bind "RIGHT" "slot4" // DPad Right
cmd2 bind "DOWN" "slot5" // DPad Down

In order to get the xbox360 controller to work you have to set it to use the second quadrant, I can't seem to do that. There is a trick for the wired one if you unplug it and then plug it back in real quick it will switch it (must be done while in-game), but doesn't seem to work for the wireless one. So I'm using an old logitech gamepad with PPJoy and JoyIDs to set it as the second controller (my 360 config reflects my logitech's layout).

Bumpeth. Anyone else experimenting with splitscreen that has figured out a fix for this?

this is SOOOO cool, too bad you can only do it on lame l4d :(

Back