Why isn't Flat Panel Scale working with Nvidia drivers?

shurcooL

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

I've just updated my EVGA 8800GTX to the newly released Nvidia 180.48 WHQL drivers. I'm using a 24" LG 246WP monitor with it, connected via HDMI/DVI-D.

But the 'Change Flat Panel Scaling' page doesn't let me change any of the scaling settings here, and I'm kinda bummed. I wanna see how the video card scaling options compare to my monitor's (which are there, but they're kinda lacking).

I remember this used to sorta work when I got the GTX over a year ago, then I updated my Nvidia drivers and it suddently became disabled. They were beta drivers, so I figured that was why. But now it's been over a year and these are non-beta WHQL drivers, so why isn't it working?

What does it depend on? What do I need to do to make it work? Is it even worth getting it to work, or are the scaling options not that great?

Thanks for any help. I'd really like to get this thing to work. =/

You need to lower the resolution first. There is nothing to scale when using 1920x1200 on a 1920x1200 LCD. Hence the option is disabled. Once you lower the resolution and get back to that screen again you can choose your type of scaling.

I hate it too that you have to lower it first. This was not the case in the older drivers, you are right with that.

I had this problem with my 8800 GTS 640MB card and never got it to work. You basically have to use the 1:1 option on your monitor (I have the same one) to get aspect scaling to work. After I got my GTX 260, aspect scaling worked via the control panel.

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately that's not it.

I've already tried lowering the resolution, but it makes no difference - the scaling options are still disabled.

What else can it be? I haven't tried restarting while keeping a lower resolution... Seems unlikely, but maybe I'll try it.

You need to lower the resolution first. There is nothing to scale when using 1920x1200 on a 1920x1200 LCD. Hence the option is disabled. Once you lower the resolution and get back to that screen again you can choose your type of scaling.

I hate it too that you have to lower it first. This was not the case in the older drivers, you are right with that.
It's always given me the option to change it at the native screen resolution, but with my 8800GTS 640MB card it would always revert back to using my display's built-in scaling. It works perfect with the GTX 260.

Damn. Does that mean it's simply not supported with the 8800GTX?

I can't believe that, given how it was their flagship consumer video card for like 2 years...

There was a registry fix for scaling but it never worked for me. Scaling should work with the analog connection, but that sucks. What I did was just use the 1:1 pixel mapping feature on the L246 when lowering the resolution to 1600x1200. It's under the ARC setting and you can only change it after you lower the screen resolution. This setting doesn't give you aspect scaling, so you'll get black bars on the sides and top depending on the resolution.

I believe this is the old Nvidia drivers problem of recognizing your monitor as an HDTV. This is a bitch to fix, but essentially you have to edit the EDID in your registry. I have the same monitor, and had the same problem with my gtx280. I fixed it, but it has discouraged me from updating my drivers. SEE prior threads regarding this issue to properly edit your registry.

Thanks for the info guys.

That link gave me a lot of hope, because it seemed a few people with the same monitor (LG L246WP) and video card (8800GTX) as me had Flat Scaling options working correctly.

Unfortunately, it seems none of those EDID registry tricks seemed to work in my case. =(

I've tried the registry fix first, rebooted but there was no change.

Then I tried editing the nv4_disp.inf file and added this line to the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section:
HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00

Then I uninstalled the current drivers, booted up into Safe Mode, used DriverSweeper to clean and remove all remaining Nvidia driver files. After that, I rebooted back into normal Windows mode and re-installed the modded drivers.

Nothing. The scaling options page is still as disabled as ever. x.x

One problem I ran into was while checking the registry, I didn't find the correct GUID using the description they gave for it. Apparently, there should be two folders 0000 and 0001 with sub-folders Display, Settings, Uninstall, VolatileSettings in both of them, as seen in this picture.

How it should be - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/u238blahman/nvidiaregloc.png

Instead, this is what I see.

As you can see, none of those folders match.

However, it should be {8F55CECC-...} one, because that's where the OverrideEdidFlags0 registry key got placed after I've reinstalled the modded .inf Nvidia drivers. I've even tried putting the OverrideEdidFlags0 key in all those folders, to no avail.

Damn, I can't believe it won't work, given how I've seen many people confirm this stuff DID work for them using the SAME video card and monitor. >_<

I owned an 8800GTX from the day after launch until February of this year (almost a year and a half) and never once did scaling ever work properly for me EXCEPT in the very first set of drivers that came on the eVGA driver CD.

It wasn't ever really a HUGE issue for me, but it does annoy the hell out of me in principle. Thankfully most newer monitors have fixed aspect scaling built in, so I don't have to worry about that crap anymore. Though I should note that driver-scaling works fine on my 4850, if I needed it to.

Tsk, tsk, nVidia.

If you upgrade to a GTX 260 or 280, you need to apply that registry or driver fix because the card wants to treat the L246 monitor as an HDTV and you'll have problems. Once you get it working, scaling works just fine on the 200 series.

If you upgrade to a GTX 260 or 280, you need to apply that registry or driver fix because the card wants to treat the L246 monitor as an HDTV and you'll have problems. Once you get it working, scaling works just fine on the 200 series.
Well, I'm not planning to upgrade my video card anytime soon, so I'd love it if I can get it working with my current setup.

I owned an 8800GTX from the day after launch until February of this year (almost a year and a half) and never once did scaling ever work properly for me EXCEPT in the very first set of drivers that came on the eVGA driver CD.
That's weird, because according to these guys, their 8800GTX had scaling working fine.

I have a 24" LG Flatron Wide monitor [L246wp]. ... I am using the HDMI to DVI cable that came with the monitor. It worked fine for my 8800 gtx.
It is a HD monitor, but I don't see why I all of a sudden had this problem when the 2 8800 gtx's worked fine.
You see...

Though I should note that driver-scaling works fine on my 4850, if I needed it to.

Tsk, tsk, nVidia.
Sad, but true. ATI seems to have these type of things working much better.

But does the feature stay locked? For instance if you then select 1920x1200 does the option go grey again? Every Nvidia card I have doesn't scale on the LG panel the OP is talking about. I have not heard any issues with ATI users using the LG panel though

Basically you'll have to do this. When the game your playing launches into a different resolution then your desktop, you'll have to manual change your monitor to a 1:1 function through the menu. NVIDIA cards suck on this monitor. It's like 90% don't work and the 10% does work is a fluke. I haven't figured out why NVIDIA can't overide the monitor's functions. No ATI card has any issues on this monitor so it's something with drivers "obviously" ... :-(

I'm using the 180.43's and it works fine for me (so no need for the WHQL 180's yet). Gateway FPD2485W + Evga 8800GTX.

I can tick down the res to 1920x1080 on my 1920x1200 monitor and it works great. Also going to a smaller res in games (1680x1050) leaves proper black borders on top and sides too.

That's weird, because according to these guys, their 8800GTX had scaling working fine.

I'm not saying they're wrong, but it never worked for me. I'll also allow for the possibility of a monitor compatibility problem, and the fact that I stopped checking after a while because I gave up hope and stopped caring.

I'd put it this way, if somebody came to me wanting graphics advice and reliable driver-level panel scaling was a must-have feature for them, I would use the strongest language possible to discourage them from buying an nVidia product.

Though again, most newer displays can do this in the display itself, so it's become something of a non-issue for me.

I gave up on my GTX and flat panel scaling, it never worked, even up to the latest drivers. I use a 260 now and its problem is detecting my LG 245 wrong, but 48 fixed it, but introduced a new problem of a random hard crash of Left 4 Dead after playing for an hour or 2.

Currently stuck with 180.43 having to do the EDID fix, BUT flat panel scaling works.

The 8800GTX just seems broken with flat panel scaling.

Have you heard about OverscanUtils? They seemed to fix the scaling problem with my 8800GTX and my NEC 20WMGX2, though I can't guarantee it will work with your particular monitor:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2064

There's some discussion about it here:

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t61203.html

and here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=242442

OverscanUtils comes with two .exes that change the registry - one that disables overscan compensation and one that enables overscan compensation. Enabling the overscan compensation using this workaround unfortunately disables HDCP support, which is while the disable .exe is included.

This is specific to those who have LG 246wp 24" monitor. I have the same dual monitor set-up using HDMI and nvidia 8800gt.
I had the same problem with nvidia software functionality not being enabled and the monitor screen being "cut on one side ". I tried the "EDID override" workaround on install it only solved the screen being "cut on one side". However, my monitor is only recognized as a generic monitor under windows device manager.

Try this it worked for me:
Download the Lg 246wp driver at LGE.com it's a small file.
1 install LG monitor driver using device manager in windows. Check the device manager and windows sees it as LG 246wp.
2. Totally uninstall nvidia software and download the latest at their website and install normally (WITHOUT using the EDID override).
Hope this Helps.

1 install LG monitor driver using device manager in windows. Check the device manager and windows sees it as LG 246wp.
Can you provide a link to it please?

I've installed some driver either from there, or from the CD that came with the monitor, and it shows up as "LG L246WP(Digital)" but the Nvidia scaling doesn't work, obviously. Maybe it does with a different L246 driver?

Its actually not to bad to fix if this is your issue.. good thread on it here

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=469513&mpage=1&key=&#469513;

this is what I had to do to get my GTX280 to work with my hannspree. Pissed me off too. ATI seems to have some issues with LCD TV as well. So it may not be the drivers fault entirely. all the same there is NO excuse for for NOT having the option of setting it up manually without having to hack the registry

It has to do with the video driver, It broke for me on the 180.43 driver but it got fixed with the 180.48 driver on my GTX 280 SLi setup.

I built my new system and installed vista 64, latest nvidia drivers and had the same problem again I had previously.. my problem was I would just lose video once the drivers were installed.. video would go off and back on constantly. took me alot of reading and posting on forums to find out about the scaling thread I linked which fixed the problem I had.

I first had a gtx 280 which I ended up returning a week after getting it because of the issue, not knowing what the problem was or how to fix it, figured it was a bad card as did evga support.. bought a gtx 260 and had the same problems.

I built my new system and installed vista 64, latest nvidia drivers and had the same problem again I had previously.. my problem was I would just lose video once the drivers were installed.. video would go off and back on constantly. took me alot of reading and posting on forums to find out about the scaling thread I linked which fixed the problem I had.

I first had a gtx 280 which I ended up returning a week after getting it because of the issue, not knowing what the problem was or how to fix it, figured it was a bad card as did evga support.. bought a gtx 260 and had the same problems.

the problem here is that the fix is overly complicated. I was going to return my card until some H users pointed me in the right direction. H users might be able to fix it but it took me a couple of times before the registry edit worked (partial my fault as I did not follow the directions, I wrote it directly into the registry and it would not take for some reason unit I patched as a .reg file.) but add registry edits, especially when you have to look up hex codes from your monitor, is beyond what joe blow computer user is going to do. even the EVGA rep didn't know what to do. And its not like Nvidia is not aware of the issue (it was suppose to have been "fixed" in the 178 drivers) but the problem persist. This is why I aways get pissed off when the Nvidia fanbois start screaming drivers. They obviously have not had to deal with the Nvidia driver issues. All this could easily be avoided if I could override the settings manually. If you can't fix it then at least let the work around be easy

Can you provide a link to it please?

I've installed some driver either from there, or from the CD that came with the monitor, and it shows up as "LG L246WP(Digital)" but the Nvidia scaling doesn't work, obviously. Maybe it does with a different L246 driver?

I forgot the link.. its not from LG website, but I thought those drivers are be same. The driver from LG's website is only 25kb, the one that I had is about 21mb but it is a collection of a lot of display drivers. I forgot where I download it.
Anyway I have uploaded it as zip here's the link
http://www.uploading.com/files/6FYH2L1Y/Monitor_LG_L246wp_Driver.zip.html

Don;t forget to Totally Uninstall your nvidia and reinstall it normally WITHOUT using EDID override,

actually the nv4_disp.inf hack DOES work but you have to search for the correct place to put the modified EDID line in the driver package. I have a LG 246WP and just upgraded my 8800 GT (which worked fine btw) to a GTX260-216 and had the HDTV detect problem and the scaling greyed out (had scaling issue on the 8800GT as well with last few driver versions) and tried the inf fix but it didn't work, BUT I tried again and scrolled further down the inf file and found the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings_GT2x] and put the modded line of code in there (with the EDID for the LG: 1E,6D,3F,56 ...) , uninstalled the drivers, re-installed with new inf and it works! Scaling is back too, so even if you don't have a LG monitor this will probably fix your scaling issue with NV drivers/cards over digital connections. If you don't have a GT2x series card there's more card types listed in the nv4_disp.inf e.g. [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings_G8x], etc.

i guess people must be scared of the command line..?? no need to edit any files, reinstall, or anything..

I had the same issue when I was using the display drivers from the nvidia website however I installed the driver from the EVGA website and scaling options are now usable.

You should try using the drivers straight from the EVGA website if you havn't already.

http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/

Back