L4D weird behavior ...

shansoft

Supreme [H]ardness
every time when I minimize L4D and open it up again I gain a huge number of FPS for some reason

I originally have 40-70 fps jumping around, but after minimize and open it up again, its 110-200 fps :rolleyes:

I am not so sure what cause the problem, and it seem to be really weird...

I have all vsync off and everything on highest.. @ 1680*1050

my reg

Q6600 @ 3.6G
DDR2 800 6G
4870 Crossfire @ 790/1100
Win Vista Business x64
ATI 8.11 driver (catalyst AI on advance)

anyone having the same problem, or it just me?

Alt+Tab can have very strange effects on the Source Engine. Mostly negative, but it seems you lucked out and got a positive result, lol. Normally If I alt+tab I get purple textures because the shaders mess up.

Alt+Tab can have very strange effects on the Source Engine. Mostly negative, but it seems you lucked out and got a positive result, lol. Normally If I alt+tab I get purple textures because the shaders mess up.

Yeah I get that in TF2. I also tend to play the games in a window if possible, because I alt+tab alot. I always look for a workaround if the video options dont allow that.

For the OP does it do that even if the vsync is on?

Its obviously the delay in reading framerate. If your card goes from 40-70 to 100-200 because you minimized the window, the frame rate counter is still going showing the framerate of the desktop, which is far less 3d intensive than the game. An it shows it as higher when you go back to the game.

Its obviously the delay in reading framerate. If your card goes from 40-70 to 100-200 because you minimized the window, the frame rate counter is still going showing the framerate of the desktop, which is far less 3d intensive than the game. An it shows it as higher when you go back to the game.

no its not I am pretty sure about that

I use the internal netgraph command to show the fps

before I alt-tab out, the game was laggy for no reason, which I really dont think my reg cant handle such graphic at all..

after I open the game up again, the fps boost like crazy and its way smoother..

I even try to use fraps, same result coming...

so its not desktop fps at all....

that is why I am asking people if they have the same situation...

How exactly is this a "problem"?

Obviously, why would you want to minimize your game after loading it to get the proper performance? Why can't it be at 100+ fps right off the bat? Alt-tabbing out and going back into the game takes a moment some times, which is just aggravating.

does it feel smoother. Also does it look like the AA gets disabled when you do this?

sometimes windows can get stuck as 'background' services, which get less resources. Alt enter to maximize the window can also bring it to the front and give you that extra resources.

sometimes windows can get stuck as 'background' services, which get less resources. Alt enter to maximize the window can also bring it to the front and give you that extra resources.

then it should only happen "Sometime"

instead every single time :S

and I have to do it every time when new level is load....

Back