[H]orde Spotlight #4 - Wheresatom

alan2308

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2008
First off, tell us about you.
Where do you call home?

I live in an apartment in Richmond, VA

What is your family situation?

I have been dating a girl for a year and a half now. She graduates in December at which time we plan to find an apartment together. In the coming year I plan to propose to her and live happily ever after.

Does your forum name hold any significant meaning?

Not really. My name is really Adam and a friend of mine who has about 12 AIM screen names told me it would be a good name for me. I agreed so I have been using it since.

Did you ever post in the "Let's see your mug... " thread? Why or why not?

No, I am not really sure why. I don't have any really worthwhile pictures as of right now uploaded to a photo host. Maybe I can find something.

What other hobbies or interests keep you busy?

Since graduation I have had a bit more time for computer games, which isn't all that different I guess. I enjoy biking to work on occasion and just getting outside to play around somehow or another. Even if it is just throwing a football around.

Tell us about your involvement in DC.

I am only a member of folding at home as of right now. I have not looked into any other projects really.

Who or what got you stated in DC projects? About when was it?

I have been a member of [H]ardforum since March of last year and early on my browsing looking for computer part advice i saw people referring to folding in posts and signatures but didn't have a clue what it meant. One very bored day I found the Distributed Computing sub forum and was hooked ever since.

Why do you participate?

Well, I built this computer and really didn't feel like I was using it to it's full potential. Now I feel like I am coming a lot closer. I feel like having the opportunity to help in something like this and not participating would just be bad Karma really.

If DC'ing could find a cure for just one disease tomorrow, which one would it be and why?

I would have to say ALS (Lou Gherig's Disease). A good friend of mine's mother came down with this sickness a couple summers ago. At first they thought it was cancer and when ALS was diagnosed they wished it had been cancer. To have to watch a family member slowly decline and wither away the way that disease does is something I wouldn't wish on anyone.

What projects have you contributed to? Any others you find interesting?

Folding at home is the only one I have helped with. I haven't looked into any others, but it seems our WCG group has some support and that seems worthwhile.

What teams have you contributed to?

My only team is team 33!

Why did you choose the Horde?

I was a user of the [H]ardforum in a "I need computer help" sort of way. I really didn't even realize what I was getting myself into when I first downloaded and installed my first client.

If your current project ends, which one will you move on to?

Probably WCG.

Current level of production and how's it spread around?

I put out about 7500 PPD barring major network issues and the like. I have 1 SMP on my home computer and a GPU plus 2x the Uniprocessor Client on my parents computer which I monitor using Logmein and my PS3 folds. I am looking to get my laptop going on the Linux uniprocessor but Ubuntu is making me it's bitch right now.

Where do you see the [H]ard DC sub-forum in the near future? Long term?

I think the group of people in this sub forum is really dedicated. Every user seems to have a bit of an ebb and flow of activity and as long as everyone doesn't ebb and flow at the same time everything seems to stay pretty steady around here. With the Chimp challenge and other programs I feel like our team has a very bright future in the short and long term.

Any ideas on improving the [H]ard DC sub-forum, or suggestions or improvements for our Team?

I would say we have a pretty good system here. Keep it simple stupid.

Tell us about your farm.
Where did you begin?

I am pretty sure I put the systray on my computer and then asked boatloads of questions about getting the SMP client going on my desktop. Speaking of making me it's bitch...

What are you running today?

E6420 (Oc to 3.05) has an SMP, GTX 260 (about to step up) runs GPU, and 2 uniprocessors run on my parents AMD and then the PS3 just chugs away heating my living room.

What plans do you have in moving forward? Where do you see your DC'ing activities in the next year or two?

I would like to move into some Linux stuff some more. In the next few months I hope to be able to afford a quad core and maybe then I can look into this whole virtual machines thing.

Do these boxen have day jobs or are they dedicated folders?

My home computer just sits most of the time unless I am reading the forums after work, or playing a game. Same goes for my parents. I play games on the PS3 too on occasion. I was folding at work, but some of the recent drama surrounding that decided I would just rather not get into that kind of trouble.

Have you been successful borging? If so, what kind of borging worked for you? (For example, friends, family, and/or work?)

I have not been that successful borging really. My sister's computer may or may not still have the systray client installed. Most of my cohorts do not have computer enough for borging really, or they do not leave theirs on long enough to do any good.

Is there anything else you would like to add? Did I forget to ask anything?

One thing that I think some may find interesting about my posts is that they are color coded. When my badge is red that means I posted from my work computer. When it is green that post came from my home computer. Blue is from my parents, and the couple sprinklings of orange come from my Ubuntu laptop.

Is there anything else you would like to add? Did I forget to ask anything?

One thing that I think some may find interesting about my posts is that they are color coded. When my badge is red that means I posted from my work computer. When it is green that post came from my home computer. Blue is from my parents, and the couple sprinklings of orange come from my Ubuntu laptop.

Well if we ever need to order a hit on you, all we have to do is wait for you to post :p

Another great spotlight!

thanks Alan!

thanks Adam!

Great interview!

Do you need an address? I love to make new IRL friends!!!

Even heavily armed ones on a recon mission? :D

2.png

Good read. Thanks for taking the time to share it Adam!

Even heavily armed ones on a recon mission? :D

2.png

Maybe not those.

I just realized I missed a question. For a living I am a Mechanical Engineer. I design HVAC systems for large buildings. I also spend a lot of time doing relatively precise models of the energy usage of those buildings. I have been working full time for about a year now.

Maybe not those.

I just realized I missed a question. For a living I am a Mechanical Engineer. I design HVAC systems for large buildings. I also spend a lot of time doing relatively precise models of the energy usage of those buildings. I have been working full time for about a year now.

Those are some good skills we need around the [H]orde. I'm still planning and building and constructing my home server/folding room. I'll ask you some more questions about HVAC in the future, okay? :)

Great job alan2308 (as usual) :eek:

@Wheresatom. You gave one very impressive interview. I hope wholeheartedly you and your "better half" (gf ) do get married and live happily ever after. If I was a bettin' man, I'd put my money on youse two. :p

Folding and WCGing for a CURE

Heres to a love, life ..and the pursuit of happiness! .. thanks for openning the door up to your soul! ..

..err ..that sounded a bit ..oh ..I don't know ..odd I guess .. :eek::p

always good to get to know better those that [F]old amongst us .. :cool:

Back