Should I dust of the old 8400GS just for PhysX??

g1xx3r

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a 512mb 8400GS just laying around..Should I add it to my sig rig or just toss it??I know there isnt a lot of PhysX stuff yet but its not like Im spending any money for it..Also,do both cards have to be connected to my monitor??NV is real vague about it..I saw a thread on evga.com but that was an early trick to get it to work..

Thanx

well, I just spent the last few minutes finishing installing my 8800gts 640 for processing PhysX. Havn't messed around with it too much, but Warmonger is playable now.

Download the 180.48 drivers and go for it. and no. you no longer need to have a second monitor connected (or a dummy vga plug either.) The new drivers make a small secondary display for you.

well, I just spent the last few minutes finishing installing my 8800gts 640 for processing PhysX. Havn't messed around with it too much, but Warmonger is playable now.

Download the 180.48 drivers and go for it. and no. you no longer need to have a second monitor connected (or a dummy vga plug either.) The new drivers make a small secondary display for you.

Cool..Thanx

what are you guys talking about? are you referring to using an old vid card for physx?

OP, I dont think your card is supported.

Here is the list of supported cards from the 180.48 driver page:

GeForce GTX 280
GeForce GTX 260
GeForce 9800 GX2
GeForce 9800 GTX+
GeForce 9800 GTX
GeForce 9800 GT
GeForce 9600 GT
GeForce 9600 GSO
GeForce 9500 GT
GeForce 9500 GS
GeForce 9400 GT
GeForce 9400
GeForce 9300
GeForce 9200
GeForce 8800 Ultra
GeForce 8800 GTX
GeForce 8800 GTS 512
GeForce 8800 GTS
GeForce 8800 GT
GeForce 8800 GS

Thers is a list out there that says 8400 GS is supported as physx also

Thers is a list out there that says 8400 GS is supported as physx also

Under the 178 drivers its listed..Gets kinda quirky installing 2 different drivers though..

What is the best low profile card that wont need a power connector to run..It my rig sig but would rather not go overboard as Im not to sure its worth the hassle yet..Im eying a 9600GT but I think it needs a power connector..

You'd need to drop down to a 9500/8600GT to avoid a power connector. Both're 32 stream GPUs so the difference between them probably isn't that big.

Do you any of you know if mix up Cards to run Physx ?
Like PCIE 8800 GT SSC as main
and a PCI(non Express) 8600 GT for physx ?

Well,I came across a sweet deal and got a evga 9800 GT SC for ~$85 shipped brand new..I guess it will compliment the 280 and pull Physx duty..Now,we just need more Physx games!

If i get a better card, i will use my 8600 GTS(256MB) for Phsyx.

Right now i have it set to use the card for both Graphics and Phsyx, and man is it bad.

I happen to have an 8400GS installed along with my 8800GT since I'm running tri-LCD's. So I played UT3. Capture The Flag. The Tornado PhysX map prior to installing the new nvidia drivers allowing a dedicated PPU.

And after installation of the new drivers and playing the same map, I saw a big difference (10FPS increase). I like it. I like it a lot! =)

So, i'm still a little confused. How do you start running Physx? Nvidia never really makes it clear. :(
I have a evga 680i, and it has 2 pci-e slots for sli and an extra one for a PPU. But do i just pop in an old card in the PPU slot and it starts processing for games that supports physx?

You just enable it in the Nvidia control panel.

With a modded .inf the 180.48 drivers will support any 8 series card so the OP could use his 8400.

So they reason why I can't select which of my 8 series gpu's to be my phsyx gpu is because they are still not officially supported?

I'm new to PhysX. Basically you can use any video card to run PhysXs? I thought you needed special cards for that?

I'm new to PhysX. Basically you can use any video card to run PhysXs? I thought you needed special cards for that?
Any Geforce 8 or higher GPU now supports PhysX, with the 180 series drivers.

ageia, the company that made PhysX cards was baught by Nvidia...

The PhysX cards you see for sale, are old ageia models.

ageia PhysX has now been optimized to run on Nvidia GPU's.

so is the 8400 GS sufficient to run PhysX ?
Also
Can you mic types up
Like the Main card is a 8800 GT SSC PCIE and the PhysX is a Reg PCI, if they offer any 8series in reg PCI.

I have a 512mb 8400GS just laying around..Should I add it to my sig rig or just toss it??I know there isnt a lot of PhysX stuff yet but its not like Im spending any money for it..Also,do both cards have to be connected to my monitor??NV is real vague about it..I saw a thread on evga.com but that was an early trick to get it to work..

Thanx

Why not ? If you already have a spare CUDA ready card, definitely use it for PhysX. That way, your main card will be left to process only the graphics load and the performance hit will be negligible.

My next question is, if your not playing UT3, is it worth it?

Yes, since the physics effects are much more realistic.

Most fancy and realistic physics effects (like cloth and hair simulations), were left out of many games, because the performance hit was just too big, even on the fastest CPU out there. GPUs however, due to their highly parallel architectures, are perfect for physics calculations, which makes them much faster than modern CPUs and thus, those fancy and more realistic effects are now possible, without a big performance hit. With PhysX ported to CUDA, any GeForce 8 or above, can process both physics and graphics loads or simply be a dedicated PhysX card.

How many games actually support PhysX on the GPU? Can you name them for me? As far as I know the only games worth playing are: Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge, GRAW and UT3.

You never had to add a monitor.

Only the Vista users had too. But hey, that's again a stupid thing of Vista. Less functionality, slower, fatter, uglier.

Back