Need a good PSU $40-80ish

Isn't the 450w corsair a bit low? I did want to get a PSU that could handle a quad core if I decided to upgrade. 500w or better could handle my specs?

The VX450 can easily handle your system even with a quad-core CPU and a higher-end graphics card such as a GTX280. However, if you're worried about capacity, just go with one of the other three options I listed.

What do you think about the OCZ haffey? It did seem to me like a pretty good PSU. Also, the Corsair VX550 seem good or is that overkill for my system and future build?

You're joking, right?

OCZ StealthXStream 600W.

Are you trying to say that the 600W StealthXStream is a good PSU? If so, you're sorely mistaken. It's based upon FSP's Epsilon platform, which is notorious for exhibiting very high and sometimes out of spec voltage fluctuations at high loads. The 600W model in particular isn't good for anything above 500W of load before going into dangerous territory.

Now, while I can't find any info about the manufacturer of the 500W ModXStream Pro, based on the quality of OCZ's other PSUs in that range, I wouldn't risk purchasing it without at least a proper review to base it on. On the other hand, all four of the PSUs I recommended in my above post have been reviewed properly by trustworthy sites like HardOCP and JonnyGURU and are confirmed to be of high quality and more than capable of handling the power requirements of the computer in question here. Until I know whether or not the ModXStream is a quality PSU, I can't in good conscience suggest that anyone purchase it.

Yea, the OCZ is NOT a good PSU.
I would go with the VX450 it'll power a Q9550 and a GTX 260 216 + 6 HDDs easily so I think it'll be fine for you.

Are you trying to say that the 600W StealthXStream is a good PSU? If so, you're sorely mistaken. It's based upon FSP's Epsilon platform, which is notorious for exhibiting very high and sometimes out of spec voltage fluctuations at high loads. The 600W model in particular isn't good for anything above 500W of load before going into dangerous territory.

Now, while I can't find any info about the manufacturer of the 500W ModXStream Pro, based on the quality of OCZ's other PSUs in that range, I wouldn't risk purchasing it without at least a proper review to base it on. On the other hand, all four of the PSUs I recommended in my above post have been reviewed properly by trustworthy sites like HardOCP and JonnyGURU and are confirmed to be of high quality and more than capable of handling the power requirements of the computer in question here. Until I know whether or not the ModXStream is a quality PSU, I can't in good conscience suggest that anyone purchase it.

QFT and I concur 100% with this statement.

The FSP Episilon platform flip flops between good and bad far too much for me to recommend one in good conscience. One review will show the platform in good steed and the next will show it to be the PSU from hell. With that kind of spotty track record, I would not recommend ANY FSP Episilon PSU, no matter if it was well reviewed. Until there's a continued consistency in the quality of that platform, FSP Episilon PSUs are definitely on my no-go list.

QFT and I concur 100% with this statement.

The FSP Episilon platform flip flops between good and bad far too much for me to recommend one in good conscience. One review will show the platform in good steed and the next will show it to be the PSU from hell. With that kind of spotty track record, I would not recommend ANY FSP Episilon PSU, no matter if it was well reviewed. Until there's a continued consistency in the quality of that platform, FSP Episilon PSUs are definitely on my no-go list.

You and Zero82z are just so polite about it...I'll watch;)

How many people have actually TESTED the OCZ GameXtreme 600W for THEMSELVES? I get zero voltage fluctuation in the high-draw SLI and raid 0 rig I am running. I don't trust online reviews of power supplies.

How many people have actually TESTED the OCZ GameXtreme 600W for THEMSELVES? I get zero voltage fluctuation in the high-draw SLI and raid 0 rig I am running. I don't trust online reviews of power supplies.

I'm not going to take sides here, but will ask what you're using to monitor for voltage regulations? An oscilloscope? Because even a DMM with 1mV resolution, 1% accuracy and a 1/10th second refresh (all of which would make for a VERY good quality DMM) isn't going to properly gage in-use voltage regulation, ripple or noise. And software? Your looking at post-regulated, post-filtered power that's already been run through about a foot worth of traces.

Your "high-draw" rig uses maybe 400-450W of power under load. 8800GTs aren't exactly power-hungry video cards. Hell, my PC probably uses more power and I'm running off of a 520W PSU. Like I said earlier, Epsilon-based PSUs tend to exhibit the larger fluctuations within about 100W of their maximum rated load, which you aren't even approaching with your PC. Plus, like Jon said, you probably aren't using the right equipment to properly measure voltage ripple.

If i get the Antec 300/Antec NeoPower500w combo, how much of an extent about could the PSU last? Still usable later with, say a low-end quad core?

If i get the Antec 300/Antec NeoPower500w combo, how much of an extent about could the PSU last? Still usable later with, say a low-end quad core?

The 500W NeoPower would be enough for a system with an overclocked high-end quad-core and a good video card. It can basically handle any reasonable single-CPU, single-GPU system with two or three hard drives.

I'm using the 600W StealthXStream and have had no issues here. No, I don't have any fancy PSU testers and I really couldn't give a shit as long as it provides enough amps on the 12V rail consistently (and by that, I mean by my standards).

With the combo deal for the 600W StealthXStream/Seagate Barracuda 250GB for only $110 ($90 AR) or the 500w with the 500gb for the same is almost something to not pass up, idk. Saw this review also on the 600W StealthXStream.

Ya just read the hardocp.com one and the PSU turned out to be junk when it came to the loading test haha. I'm just about set on getting the Corsair vx450, seems really reliable and good quality. Also, it seems like a long lasting PSU for me.

OCZ PSU = Don't buy
Man you guys have a warped view of what draws alot of power. Let's take my system assuming no OC, then I would draw ~650w at load (+/- 50-100w depending how far of I am on the SAS drives and GPU power usage)

My brother has a 8800GT, Q9650 @ 4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2 HDD and he uses a 400w Corsair PSU.

Good Choice, that PSU will serve you well.

Gonna go out on a limb here, but my 500W ModXStream seems to be running fine. It isn't exactly running on load all the time though.

OCZ has become the McDonald's of the computer world - high availability, low quality and mass-produced products at attractive prices. I can't suggest any OCZ product at the moment, in fact I usually tell people to avoid them. Yes, McDonald's food will make you full but you generally regret eating that Big Mac meal shortly after.

Back