$500 Gas Voucher @ Newegg and TD w/ AMD GAME! kit

shoes

Limp Gawd
Found this on SD. Thought it would be pretty relevant to the [H] crowd.

Hello,

I just received word of a pretty cool deal that will happen between November 28th and December 1st.

Apparently you can go to Newegg.com or TigerDirect.com and purchase any of their pre-selected (they select good components for these) AMD GAME! upgrade kits at a value of $400 (or more) and you will receive $500 worth of Gasoline vouchers. That means you are in the green $100 when all is said and done. Pretty sweet.

There will only be 900 available (total) so make sure your Newegg and TD accounts are logged in on November 27th to make sure you can jump on it before they're all gone. If you were looking for a comp upgrade then you might as well get some gas money out of it as well, right?

Cheers,

-s

PS: AMD GAME! upgrade kits will probably consist of AMD processors/motherboards/video cards. I suspect there will be like combo packages with motherboard+processors or motherboard+graphics... something like how newegg usually offers bundle pacakges.

PSS: This is totally worth it if you find a package of the motherboard+graphics as long as you get a motherboard that is compatible with AM3 (most of the better motherboards are). AMD will launch Phenom II at the end of December and they are pretty dang fast and great value for money. Processor + motherboard + video card = good performance, low price platform

w1hy0.jpg

I'll do this, but I want to know more about the process. I don't want to be caught with having to do some BS work for the gas. If it is having to send in receipts for a refund I won't bother. I'm hoping it is a gift card type.

Agreed, if it's a gift card that ships out with the items or if it's an automatic drop-ship then it's very hot.

hmm... I was contemplating doing an i7 build, but if this deal is legit with no bullshit strings attached, I may just do another AMD build and drop in a Phenom 2 later on. hmm...

Is there going to be more bundle options. I can't say I'm that interested in it if it costs more then the actual gas card. I'm hoping newegg has more options then mwave.

Looks like it doesn't match up, because there are no 4870's listed, and no 9950 listed. I suspect it will just be a Graphics/CPU/Mobo combo.

That looks wayyyyyyyyyyyy old. This looks like a offer from AMD, since all these retailers are doing it. My guess is that they would use the 4000 series. Otherwise no one would be interested.

either way this goes, should be fun to watch!

*Subscribed*

From the mwave link, seems you gotta buy an entire computers worth of parts?

Doubt it. That link in post 13 doesn't even match up with what I linked to. Here's what the official link says, as I already quoted before.

AMD Game Bundle!
Purchase select AMD Game Bundle (AMD Phenom 9950, AMD 790GX chipset, Radeon HD 4870 Graphics) and receive a FREE $500 Gas Voucher! $500 Gas Card w/purchase 11/29 - 12/1/08

Does it say anything about buying a whole computer's worth of parts? No.
Does that link SIN posted to even contain those parts as a Game Bundle? No, only a motherboard.
Is there any mention anywhere on SIN's link about gas cards? No.

If that was the official page, it would be very disappointing.. especially since they are advertising 4870's and 9950's. We can safely assume the real bundles will be with 9950's and 4870's since that's what their official page says.

Doubt it. That link in post 13 doesn't even match up with what I linked to. Here's what the official link says, as I already quoted before.

Does it say anything about buying a whole computer's worth of parts? No.
Does that link SIN posted to even contain those parts as a Game Bundle? No, only a motherboard.
Is there any mention anywhere on SIN's link about gas cards? No.

If that was the official page, it would be very disappointing.. especially since they are advertising 4870's and 9950's.

Yeah, that mwave link that guy posted is obviously a different, older promotion.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/blackfridaypromo.hmx

Processors / Bundles
AMD Game Bundle!
Purchase select AMD Game Bundle (AMD Phenom 9950, AMD 790GX chipset, Radeon HD 4870 Graphics) and receive a FREE $500 Gas Voucher! $500 Gas Card w/purchase 11/29 - 12/1/08

Still would like the details on that gas voucher. Wonder why they are not saying gift card?

Subbed for sure. I couldn't find anything concrete via google. Wanna see how this pans out. If it's easy to get the gas money, and it's legit gas money, I'm in.

my fault, didnt read that post earlier, i'll edit out the misinformation :eek:

Skeptical on this... How they're gonna pull this off with 2 etailers (or more since mwave was mentioned) and police 900 transactions without stirring up a torrent of shit is beyond me.

Skeptical on this... How they're gonna pull this off with 2 etailers (or more since mwave was mentioned) and police 900 transactions without stirring up a torrent of shit is beyond me.

If they have 3 etailers, then each etailer gets 300 gas vouchers. Make it a stocked item. You know how when you buy one combo item on Newegg you get the discount when you add the correct second item. Sometimes it makes the item free. It would make sense to do it like this:

Add the following to cart:
$500 gas voucher - Price: $500
AMD Phenom processor - price: $200
AMD Motherboard - Price: $125
ATI Video Card - Price: $175

Total cost of package = $1000
Combo discount of $500
Total = $500

Of course that's all hypothetical, and I just made up w/e prices. Newegg is usually very clear on what qualifies for their bundles. This would make a great doorbuster, like back in the original couple of black fridays where they actually gave stuff away free. I remember free Apollo printers, t-shirts, gift cards, stacks of blank optical media. The free stuff has gone down since then, but there is still some to be had. Newegg can just track the quantity of these gas vouchers just like any other product they sell. When they're gone, they're gone!

Makes sense to me that they would do it that way, anyhoo. No mess, no fuss, first come first serve.

how come when I check the Newegg site for ATI cards the link the ad provides only links to 3xxx series ATI video cards? Are the 4850 and 4870 not part of this promo?

Old graphic, I guess??

Hope they update soon! I really wanna know if this is gonna be legit or not. Not so legit if it's a 3000 series card. Although buying a $50 ATI 3450, a $65 Asus 780G motherboard, and a $107 (when on sale) 9600 phenom, and getting a $500 out of it would work! :D

That would be too good to be true, though, heh.

From Fat Wallet:
I got sucked into this gas voucher thing buying something else and boy am I pissed...its such a pain...I beleive what you will get is 5 $100 vouchers...with each voucher you go online and register it and you can only do one per month per household. Once you register the voucher you have to pick ONE gas station to go to and each month you have to mail in $100 worth of receipts from that gas station and in a few weeks they will send you a $25 gas card to use at that gas station (if you don't spend the $100 at that one station you lose your chance to get your $25 back)...so in a nutshell, in order to get your $500 in gas it will take you almost 2 yrs and $2000 spent on gas!!! (you have to spend $100 each month to get $25 back so it takes 4 months just to get $100 back...they make it so you can only register one voucher at a time) Heres the website I was directed to when I fell for this ridiculous deal...
http://www.gasolineredemption.com/

I hope this isn't true. If it is, the deal will be pretty cold. :mad:

Didn't think it would be that much of a deal. Pick a few combos up, flip it on CL or ebay, get free if not almost free gas for a year or two.

i would never trust these stupid "gas voucher" deals.

besides, gas is so cheap now, what do we need them for?

Cheap is only relative to what it's high point was. It's still expensive if you commute on a daily basis. I don't even want to add up how much money I spend in gasoline per year, and my car gets ~27-30mpg in the city.

Cheap is only relative to what it's high point was. It's still expensive if you commute on a daily basis. I don't even want to add up how much money I spend in gasoline per year, and my car gets ~27-30mpg in the city.

Depends on how far you commute. If you have to drive an hour, obviously you'll spend more than someone who only drives half an hour.

Back