TD OCZ 32GB 2.5" SATA SSD $29.99AR, 64GB 2.5" SATA SSD $74.99AR

From what I know, they're terrible for writes. Stuttering/Freezing cause of a small cache...

But I guess if you set it up on a laptop, turn the page-file off, and only use it for reads... it could be pretty sweet.

wow that 32gb is an awesome deal! anybody know if these outperform 10,000rpm hdd's?
Probably not overall, but here's a review: http://www.guru3d.com/article/ocz-core-sata-64gb-solid-state-drive-review/6 see pages 6-9 for benchmarks

review said:
Also what was noticeable is system bootup-time, Windows Vista boots up in 21 seconds, which is roughly a minute on my primary test system with a WD Raptor. In all fairness, the SSD Vista installation was fresh and clean.

For you as a gamer I did a subjective test as well. Call of Duty 4. Starting up the game and load times feel just so much faster.

On the Raptor is takes 22 seconds to startup the Ghilly suit level
On the OCZ SSD is takes 12 seconds to startup the Ghilly suit level

4KB read/write performance is terrible, but once you get to 32KB reads/writes, the perfomance is great. You might be able to get around much of that by setting a 32KB NTFS block size when you partition and format it to minimize the number of 4KB accesses (the default for NTFS). The bad part is you'll lose a lot of slack space, ~1.5GB per 100,000 files with a 32KB block size vs ~200MB per 100,000 files with a 4KB block size.

The anandtech review runs other benchmarks that are geared more towards server performance and the OCZ Core SSDs have terrible server performance. :p

Back