GTA IV Offline Activation Review

Jakalwarrior

2[H]4U
Summary: Epic Fail

Step 1: Install game
Step 2: write down (or screenshot) 51 character key and the web address
Step 3: find computer with internet
Step 4: type out the 51 character key + your cd key without making any errors
Step 5: download a file (WHY is this not already on the cd?)
Step 6: Burn or put that file on media. Copy all the keys to a text document, put it on there also.
Step 7: go back to computer with GTA and enter the key into the dialog you left open. Copy the file over and run it. Now you can play the buggy ass game :D hooray!

Atleast I hope that is how it goes, the only interent computer I could find close to where im staying right now has dialup so Im still downloading the file they force me to get (and killing time whining)... else ill have to wait till tommorow when I can dl it at work.

Boy I need to get data on my phone.

The information you enter must generate a file specific to your PC, hence why the file isn't on the CD. ;)

And if said file was on the CD, a coder could make a program to generate the necessary information a lot easier. Did you say you got another code from the website too? What information exactly do you have to enter on the offline PC according to the website? Obviously, I am not asking what exactly the codes are! :p

Now someone has to crack a 51 digit key, which I think is doable, but 51 digits is long!! They need to figure out what each digit represents, how they help generate the file, etc.

They've butchered this release in favor of screwing over the torrent crowd. The irony here is that both illegal AND LEGAL owners of the game are having the same issues, some of which render the game virtually unplayable.

WTG, Rockstar.

there is already a crack, game is all over newsgroups.. like every other game.. drm stuff does nothing to stop pirating.. just makes it a little more difficult for the average joe to steal.

Alternate instructions:

Step 1: Buy and install game
Step 2: download and install crack
Step 3: Post about how pointless elaborate DRM schemes are

The file you download isn't specific to the key. I was downloading it while I was trying to type the two keys a dozen times till I got it right. https://support.securom.com/rockstarunlock/index.php?c=offline

New update though. When my guy sleeps in the bed to save:

"Game progress can not be saved without logging in to windows live"

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why even bother with offline activation? They might as well have called this a single player MMORPG requiring internet connection.

This is such ass. I'm probably going to postpone buying this because of the issues. If they get it ironed out I may consider it, but I already have a cache of games I still need to play.

If the crack will let me save, I will totally go for it!

In the mean time. I would like to file a complaint about having the gamers bill of rights used as toilet paper at the rockstar studios. If only there was a way to get stardock to go over and open a can on rockstar and securom.

*edit* apparently there is some sort of way to save. Without google though, I would never have figured it out... It involves alt tabing and doing something in a different program. Most frustrating game ive ever owned. I was really looking forward to this game too :(

BTW, I will lose my 4 hours of progress most likely. Ive heard that windows live saves are seperate and not accessable offline. And this says saving in offline mode or whatever will probably make me start the game over.

"Possible Solution 1 - Sign out of the Rockstar Social Club, on starting the game skip the login . This allows the game to start. If you are connected to the internet, you will be prompted to login to Game For Windows Live (GFWL). If you login to this the game will save without issues.

However if you are not connected to the internet, GFWL has an offline mode. If you try to save at your safe house, it will advise you to login. From here choose YES and the game will appear to freeze for a second, hold down the Alt and press Tab to go back to your desktop. You will see the option to sign into GFWL Offline mode, do this and then ALT + Tab back into the game. This should allow you to save, although it may take you to the beginning of the game."

FFS, when I eventually get this game, its getting cracked straight away.
I dont want any of this Live sign in and Rockstar Social Club BS.
If they make it impossible to save offline without any accounts, they lose a sale, that simple.

if you create an offline profile with the windows live thingy, you can save while offline....

edit: yes, I now see you figured that out.

windows live.... social club.... it's all a conspiracy.

money is driving everything......

we need to take our PCs underground.... they've become too mainstream. lol

if you create an offline profile with the windows live thingy, you can save while offline....

edit: yes, I now see you figured that out.

windows live.... social club.... it's all a conspiracy.

money is driving everything......

we need to take our PCs underground.... they've become too mainstream. lol

its not a conspiracy, but it IS annoying bullshit that makes me hate PC gaming more and more as time goes on.

I tried to play last night and couldn't get the game to launch at first because of that homo social club. then I couldn't save the game because I wasn't signed into Live. What kinda crap is that?

Man... all of this DRM stuff makes me want to pirate games even more! You know, just to prove to everybody that I can!

some things are so annoying they aren't even worth stealing.
I buy games on Steam when I can to avoid all this horsecrap, now I have to sign into 3 different things to play I game I bought, because I dont like stealing. Wow, thanks guys!

well, I paid for it, because I've been waiting for this game a long time... and it runs enjoyably on my system. (and I'm a pretty big GTA fan.... always have been...)

however, if I was not pleased, I would go back to gamestop, and definitely try to get a refund.

some people, who have been unhappy with their performance, have actually had success at obtaining refunds - either through steam, or brick and mortar store (gamestop, etc)

I can't believe some of you guys paid for this shit. Absolutely mind-boggling!

I made the mistake of pre-ordering. Everytime I have it has almost always bit me in the ass. Had I known, I wouldn't have. Im trying to see if Steam is still doing refunds. As much money as I have given them over 4 years im hopeful.

I heard that the developers were bragging over this really expensive unbreakable security system, that the pirates would never break it because of the money spent for it, a friend of mine told me today that security system held him back for 2 minutes before he was playing an illegal copy. I wonder if the producers will ever learn. :rolleyes:

Does anyone else find it ironic that these DRM schemes really only screw those with the least ability to pirate?

I'm not screwed over. I bought the game, runs perfect. All I notice is the same collective user names here on [H] bitching left and right over almost every game they play... Seems to me, those people should stick to consoles and gtfo pc games, as they obviously don't know how to configure their shitty systems. DRM DRM DRM DRM... blah blah blah.. get on the wagon sheep, even those who have no idea what DRM means and bash the shit out of it.. Oh yah better yet, talk openly about cracks and pirating..:rolleyes:

The amount of BS over this games performance around here is pathetic. Not to mention such random, uncommon bugs prove to me it has nothing to do with the game and all to do with users who can't seem to run their computer properly.

I have always been against discussion of piracy and admission of piracy around here, but apparently mods don't give a shit anymore. It makes this place look like a fucking newbie steam forum with nothing but whiny, over reactive trolls bitching about problems that are most likely their fault. I'd love to see a whole list of names around here get banned... Time to start having some fucking integrity and values around here imo...

Alternate instructions:

Step 1: Buy and install game
Step 2: download and install crack
Step 3: Post about how pointless elaborate DRM schemes are

You realize that step 2 is just as illegal as pirating it in the first place is?

I'm not going to support the people making the stupid decisions just so I can wind up breaking the law.

Instead I'll buy something else that doesn't have nasty DRM and play it instead. (Like fallout 3)

I'd love to see a whole list of names around here get banned... Time to start having some fucking integrity and values around here imo...

Indeed. But first, let's warm up the Ban Hammer on a lower level of its sphere of responsibility and get rid of a problem that knows no bounds or borders and can easily invade any topic of discussion and immediately lower the integrity and values in said discussion to almost zero:

The use of swear words. ;)

I'm not screwed over. I bought the game, runs perfect. All I notice is the same collective user names here on [H] bitching left and right over almost every game they play... Seems to me, those people should stick to consoles and gtfo pc games, as they obviously don't know how to configure their shitty systems. DRM DRM DRM DRM... blah blah blah.. get on the wagon sheep, even those who have no idea what DRM means and bash the shit out of it.. Oh yah better yet, talk openly about cracks and pirating..:rolleyes:

The amount of BS over this games performance around here is pathetic. Not to mention such random, uncommon bugs prove to me it has nothing to do with the game and all to do with users who can't seem to run their computer properly.

I have always been against discussion of piracy and admission of piracy around here, but apparently mods don't give a shit anymore. It makes this place look like a fucking newbie steam forum with nothing but whiny, over reactive trolls bitching about problems that are most likely their fault. I'd love to see a whole list of names around here get banned... Time to start having some fucking integrity and values around here imo...

+ 1

One of the better post Ive seen in a while..

+ 1

I couldn't disagree with you more even if I had the willpower to do so!

He makes a lot of generalized statements, no specific examples and calls the whole lot of people complaining ignorant about their computers and how to properly set them up and run them. And states they are all crappy systems, to boot.

He then goes on to be offended by the "amount of talk regarding gaming performance" ....on a website QUITE popular with enthusiasts, people who want every single 0.001% of performance they can get! To top it of, he then again makes mention of people who can't operate their PC and think they all have no clue what they are doing. That is a lot of generalizing.

And to his last paragraph, I think I already responded to that one. :)

I don't know this particular person, but from the tone of his post it almost sounds to me like he could be trying to get the thread Locked because he doesn't like these discussions, which is his right to not like them. Also his right, would be the ability to ignore the thread entirely and not add to the discussion in such a way as to purposely attempt to provoke others!

Think so? I spent an hour and a half doing their activation crap last night. Did I do anything wrong? no. I just happen to be internetless at the moment as I am in the process of moving (great time for a single player game right?). I wouldn't have been able to play at all if I didnt have a flash drive and a kind family member with dialup. After all of that I sit down to finally play the game only to discover I can't save. I put in some play time and leave the game open so i can save when I get home... only I discover that the saving system is tied in with the games for live thing and I will have to probably start the game over (god I hope I find way around that, im about 4 hours in). I would never have even discovered it was possible to save at all without forum help. Does that sound appropriate for a single player game? Pair that up with the abysmal performance and does it really sound like I got my money's worth? Should I be kissing up to rockstar for giving me such a hassle free polished game? Were you around for the days when you put a cd in and play without signing up for several accounts and jumping through hoops? A few years ago I would have shit a brick if I tried to save in a single player game and it told me I first need to log into an online account.

I honestly want to play this game. Ive been looking forward to it for 6 months... but I do not believe rockstar is treating their customers right this time around. Its like... vengence for the whole hot cofee lawsuit or something. "Here you guys go! we stuffed as much DRM as we could into a beta quality game! have fun!"

I couldn't disagree with you more even if I had the willpower to do so!

He makes a lot of generalized statements, no specific examples and calls the whole lot of people complaining ignorant about their computers and how to properly set them up and run them. And states they are all crappy systems, to boot.

He then goes on to be offended by the "amount of talk regarding gaming performance" ....on a website QUITE popular with enthusiasts, people who want every single 0.001% of performance they can get! To top it of, he then again makes mention of people who can't operate their PC and think they all have no clue what they are doing. That is a lot of generalizing.

And to his last paragraph, I think I already responded to that one. :)

I don't know this particular person, but from the tone of his post it almost sounds to me like he could be trying to get the thread Locked because he doesn't like these discussions, which is his right to not like them. Also his right, would be the ability to ignore the thread entirely and not add to the discussion in such a way as to purposely attempt to provoke others!

I dont know,I reread his post and perhaps just dont see what you saw(it happens :)).I took from it that sometimesit seems people expect the console experience for their PC and that just aint gonna happen..Even if a game ran perfectly out the box,the average guy on [H] is gonna be looking into .inf files to see if more performance is to be had.

GTA4 DID NOT run for me out the box.Hell,I had settings clearly showing me in the red zone.Guess what,I pushed it and got the RESC10 error..After playing around,accepting it and making adjustments,Ive been enjoying the problem free ever since.Some people get a CTD and come on here and start screaming"shitty port"

I have a good friend who swears by his 360 and we go back and forth all the time.I tell him consoles are boring(no tweaks,mods etc)and he says PCs are a headache(tweaks ,mods etc)..Who is correct??:p

People should honestly see this coming. The rise of the internet, social gaming, etc, kills anybody without internet.

I dont know,I reread his post and perhaps just dont see what you saw(it happens :)).I took from it that sometimesit seems people expect the console experience for their PC and that just aint gonna happen..Even if a game ran perfectly out the box,the average guy on [H] is gonna be looking into .inf files to see if more performance is to be had.

GTA4 DID NOT run for me out the box.Hell,I had settings clearly showing me in the red zone.Guess what,I pushed it and got the RESC10 error..After playing around,accepting it and making adjustments,Ive been enjoying the problem free ever since.Some people get a CTD and come on here and start screaming"shitty port"

I have a good friend who swears by his 360 and we go back and forth all the time.I tell him consoles are boring(no tweaks,mods etc)and he says PCs are a headache(tweaks ,mods etc)..Who is correct??:p

I have not played the game, but from the comments I have read( that are not biased if you know what I mean? ) the game IS a crappy port. And ANY game designed for either hardware set, is going to be a crappy port no matter how much time they spend on the same foundation.

Now, I am not talking about all the errors and problems people are getting in any of this, so please keep that in mind and more on this at the end.

There are just things that you can't port into a PC game from console and vice versa. Aiming, difficulty, graphic settings. I honestly don't understand why companies are doing it the way they are. Cause this is what they are basically doing.

Designing a game to run on one set of hardware( 360 ) from the ground up. All design, level and story decisions are based on the fact that every customer is using relatively the same components.

They then take the same game and "port" it to work on the PC, but there are certain aspects about the game that can't be changed without major rewriting, there are certain things that they under-designed on the console version because of limited power that a majority of computers are going to be able to handle easily.

You end up with a game designed with the console in mind, running on PC hardware. It would be like putting a car engine on an airplane and expecting it to respond the same. The airplane is able to handle a whole lot more power, and any deficiencies are going to be noticed by the people at the stick.

Speaking of the errors, problems and performance issues. I have really not read enough to speak on all the comments we are reading from people, but my gut feeling is one of two things: that Rockstar's version of SecuROM isn't quite working how they expected it to and is causing problems with both legitamate and illegitamate users or it is working exactly like should be, and the MAJORITY of people we read having issues have pirated the game. I know we will know more in the future days and weeks ahead.

If 5 out of every 10000 legit users are having a problem and 9995 out of every 10000 pirates are having a problem, Rockstar / SecuROM is fracking brilliant!

If those numbers are reversed, I think Rockstar just tied themselves very closey to the popular opinion of EA. ;)

Not to mention such random, uncommon bugs prove to me it has nothing to do with the game and all to do with users who can't seem to run their computer properly.
So impressively authoritative for someone who really has absolutely no clue to what bugs and issues can be attributed to (I don't; I won't pretend).

I have always been against discussion of piracy and admission of piracy around here, but apparently mods don't give a shit anymore.
Who has admitted to piracy, and what specific action(s) have moderaters not taken that you feel they should have (and when)? You're generalizing to the nth degree here, and this statement says effectively nothing (perhaps you feel "safer" about that -- talk about so-called "integrity").

I recall a recent thread where someone was publishing a link to where to acquire an illegal copy of System Shock 2 (which he called "abandonware"). After a lengthy argument with him, and my reporting the thread citing piracy as the reasoning, the thread was locked. The mods did their job (though the link to SS2 should have been deleted).

It makes this place look like a fucking newbie steam forum with nothing but whiny, over reactive trolls bitching about problems that are most likely their fault.
Whereas you drastically improve the overall forum environment with your inane, childish commentary?

I'd love to see a whole list of names around here get banned...
I'd love to see your so-called "list of names". Hopefully I'm right on top.

What a shocker.

I generalized for my sake... I don't feel like rooting through pages of threads from the last year pulling examples and quotes of members admitting to pirating... If you are seriously that dense and have not noticed these remarks and statements, perhaps you take pirating games lightly... Members who say a certain game deserves to be pirated because they can't get it to run are just as pathetic... NO game deserves to be ripped off..

Get over the curse words... You act like I'm worse off than someone who pirates games because I used some swear words in a forum post... It's real weak, and only proves to me I've got to those that my previous post described. :rolleyes:

Get a console or learn to use your computer. GTA4 on PC doesn't look worse than on console... GTA4 doesn't have a plethora of game haulting issues like so many here are convinced it has... Finally, NO GAME will ever live up to hype and uneducated, ignorant assumptions... So many of you want to return the game... What about consumer awareness ? What about waiting for a while before purchasing to prevent spending money on something that might have issues with your hardware? Why not wait for a patch? Its always buyer beware in this constantly changing computer world, shouldn't that be considered as well ?

You know how blatently hypocritical members sound bitching about DRM in those countless threads, yet have also condoned pirating and even admitted to it ?? :eek:

Just download the bypass crack from FeD0R on any torrent site if you guys are having problems. It completely bypasses the securom and all that. My brother got the copy and same thing happened like others where it gave some crappy errors. To me it was just dumb for rockstar to even say it was uncrackable and to have put all that protection. The people that bought the game have a harder time running it than the pirates. As soon as they said that everyone jumped all over it and it was cracked in a matter of a hours.
Rockstar North December 2nd, 2008 | 18:09

Dont bother to beat our protection, guys. Think we spent 200k for you to play our game for free? Think twice!

Rockstar Upper East December 2nd, 2008 | 18:24

You really cant crack this game believe me or not. We have done everything to stop you from playing it for free.

Just download the bypass crack from FeD0R on any torrent site if you guys are having problems.

Or not? When the going gets tough...simply cheat?

How about you do the responsible thing and RETURN THE GAME to show your dissatisfaction with it? If you keep the game, Rockstar considers you a sale. If you return it, you are not a sale. If your POP won't allow you to return it, point them to news stories of what is going on or contact Rockstar and demand your money back.

Which speaks louder to the game company? Downloading a crack and using it, even for the purpose of better performance, which is not the answer, or returning a faulty product and never purchasing from them again?

By using a crack, you are telling companies it is ok to release subpar products and giving anti-piracy crowds a +1 on their counter which it turn can only bring legitamate gamers more hardship in the future with horribly done and painfully strict DRM and anti-piracy measures. :(

I generalized for my sake... I don't feel like rooting through pages of threads from the last year pulling examples and quotes of members admitting to pirating... If you are seriously that dense and have not noticed these remarks and statements, perhaps you take pirating games lightly... Members who say a certain game deserves to be pirated because they can't get it to run are just as pathetic... NO game deserves to be ripped off..

I understand where you are coming from, but you can't generalize so much with this particular topic of discussion for many of the reasons you mentioned. Just because people admit to it, doesn't mean it is ok. Just because people do it for one game for x reason, doesn't make it ok. Everyone with common sense knows this, the people that don't care..well, don't care and the people who already do it are still going to do it.

Get over the curse words... You act like I'm worse off than someone who pirates games because I used some swear words in a forum post... It's real weak, and only proves to me I've got to those that my previous post described. :rolleyes:

I live in a fairly black and white world actually, so to me you are not worse than a pirate at all. You are no better than one either. Eye for an eye tooth for a tooth kinda guy. A morally wrong choice is a morally wrong choice to me, whether it be speeding, cursing or acquiring illegal media. All of the actions taken are done for the same reasons as far as I am concerned.

Get a console or learn to use your computer. GTA4 on PC doesn't look worse than on console... GTA4 doesn't have a plethora of game haulting issues like so many here are convinced it has... Finally, NO GAME will ever live up to hype and uneducated, ignorant assumptions... So many of you want to return the game... What about consumer awareness ? What about waiting for a while before purchasing to prevent spending money on something that might have issues with your hardware? Why not wait for a patch? Its always buyer beware in this constantly changing computer world, shouldn't that be considered as well ?

There are a lot of people having issues with GTA IV. Simply telling someone who is having an issue, that it is their computer, when you do not know their experience, is being silly. I never said it looked worse on console than PC and I would never even try to argue the hype factor. I merely said, that when designed for one platform in particular( consoles ), certain avenues in the design process are going to be ignored entirely because consoles are unable to provide the level of power most PCs are easily able to handle. And once those avenues are blocked off and the foundation is laid, porting the console game to the PC platform isn't going to reach the same level of quality it may have had the game originally been designed for the PC first.[/quote]

You know how blatently hypocritical members sound bitching about DRM in those countless threads, yet have also condoned pirating and even admitted to it ?? :eek:

And when that happens, I would glady appreciate you being there to remind them of their past and we can get a good laugh at their hypocritcal actions. However, no one is perfect. As long as these people aren't claiming to be a White Knight doing no wrong, and understand that what they are doing IS wrong.....what's the problem aside from the fact you don't like two faced people? How many people have you heard complain about getting a speeding ticket? Speeding ticket. It's no different here!

Can someone explain how downloading a crack to play a game that was purchased equates to piracy? That's like saying because I have uTorrent installed I'm a pirate even though all I mostly use it for is to download Blizzard updates because of how horrid their downloader is. The rest of its use is for the occasional Ubuntu or Fedora downlaod.

I don't care if I count as a sell or not. I want to play the damn game that I bought. It's less of an inconvience to crack the game than it is to try and convince some policy parrot to let me return an opened copy.

I don't care if the DRM that's cracked is counted as a success or not. It's removed on my system if it causes a problem.

I don't care if it violates the EULA since my inability to play the game pretty much prevents them from upholding their end of the contract.

I don't condone piracy in any way shape or form. Have I pirated stuff? Sure, years ago. I've seen "seen the light" and stopped doing it. Hell, most of the time software companies are so willing to give their software away it's pretty much pointless to pirate.

And morally wrong to curse, please. Get over yourself it's just a word that someone at some point in time decided was ''bad''. Fuck, Shit and Damn are no worse and than Frack, Crap, and Dang.

If you are here to discuss, I will respond to your post. But from the tone of your words, I don't gather you are. If you are though, please let me know and I will happily share my opinions on the matter.

The only thing I will comment on, is just because a word regurgitates into a new spelling or otherwise becomes socially acceptable, does not mean it is ok. In your book then, it is ok to drive over the established speed limit because it was just "someone who decided driving that fast was bad?"

You realize that step 2 is just as illegal as pirating it in the first place is?
No, it is not. Installing a crack is not copyright infringement (which is a tort, not an "illegal" criminal violation). Depending on jurisdiction, circumventing copy protection *may* breach the DMCA in the USA or similar legislation in other countries. The DMCA claims have mostly involved reverse engineering (wowglider, sales of hacked consoles) and import of circumvention devices (mod chips).

I can't think of a single case of someone being prosecuted under DMCA for using a crack on a game they purchased. In any case, they are not the same because one is a possible criminal activity under the DMCA punishable by fines and/or jail time, and the other is a tort with possible statutory damages in a civil trial. Not even close.

Back