Need help choosing a 26" monitor

phoenixfx

n00b
Hi,
I’m looking for a bigger, preferably 26” Full HD monitor mostly for movies and general work. Gaming is not a priority right now; I might build a gaming desktop sometime next year, but till then, this monitor will be used mainly with my DELL XPS M1330 notebook (8400M GS/ HDMI).

I’m in Japan therefore my options are somewhat limited. These are my top candidates:

LG Flatron W2600V-PF
  • contrast : 5000:1
  • brightness: 300cd/m2
  • Response Time : 5ms
  • viewing angles : H : 170˚/V : 160˚(CR≥5)
  • Stand : tilt, swivel, and height adjustment
  • special features : 4:3 mode, ezZoom, Picture in Picture (for VGA and HDMI), USB ports
Samsung Syncmaster T260
  • Contrast : 20,000:1 :eek:
  • viewing angles : H: 170˚ /V 160˚ (CR>10)
  • Stand : tilt, swivel
Acer X263Wbid
  • contrast : 3000:1
  • brightness: 350cd/m2
  • viewing angles : H: 170˚ /V 160˚ (CR> could not find out)
Iiyama ProLite E2607WS
  • Contrast : 1000:1 (Standard) 4,000:1 (With Advanced Contrast Ratio)
  • Response Time : 2ms(G to G)
  • viewing angles : H: 170˚ /V 160˚ (CR>could not find out)

All are around $425 [+/- $10] at current exchange rate. Have 1920x1200 resolution with an actual viewing area of 25.5". Don’t know why these people have to confuse us with two sizes (actual and advertised), I thought that nonsense stopped with CRTs.. :mad:

I know that all have TN panels, but I can’t afford IPS/MVA type screen; besides I currently own an iiyama ProLite 22” TN LCD, and I’m quite happy with it.
I have only seen the LG and Acer monitors in store, LG’s picture quality looked really good compared to Acer 26”, colors were more vibrant and viewing angles seemed better; however, LG was hooked up to a gaming desktop with a nVidia graphics card while Acer was connected to a low end desktop with an integrated graphics card (therefore colors might have been tweaked for LG : nVidia control panel digital vibrance etc.. not sure tho, just a thought....).

I couldn’t really find any good reviews for any of these monitors, only few short user reviews. AFAIK except for iiyama, rest of the models are on sale in U.S. too. So why no professional reviews? 25.5/26” has not caught up yet?
Have any of you guys have experience? I have seen few positive user reviews for Samsung in this forum, and outside. But since I haven’t seen it in person I’m little bit hesitant. Are Samsung's viewing angles better than LG (with regard to CR) ? and whats with that 20,000:1 contrast ratio ?? . I’m interested in finding more about LG W2600V and how it compares to the Samsung T260. Design of the Samsung seems better on online photos, however it doesn’t have a height adjustable base (like in LG) not a deal breaker, but something that could pose few problems….

I appreciate all comments. Thanks.
and sorry for the long post and all the questions ;)

Back