E8400 temps

Bman123

Supreme [H]ardness
Well I would like to know what is going on with my temps.When I use core temp I get a steady reading of 58c,when I use speed fan I get a steadt read of 63c.
My temps never change.It doesn't matter if it is idle or under load they dont change.

I ran the burn in test and my temps never moved in core temp or speed fan.I would like to use another program to see if I get a different reading.Something like a real time continuos read of my cpu temp.

I just dont want my cpu to overheat and me not know it until it is too late.I have played cod waw for about 4 hours straight without any problems.I dont know if that is enough to say that my temps are fine or not.

I will appreciate any help I can get thanks guys

Make sure you're using the latest version of Core Temp. Also, try Real Temp. Both should take real-time readings of your temps.

Your sensors are probably stuck. Many of them are. They work fine at very high temperatures to control thermal throttling like Intel designed them to do but aren't always usable to report accurate core temperatures at idle.

Sound like the two software programs you are using are assuming a different TJMax. Intel says TJMax = 100C for an E8400.

I'm a little biased but the CPU Cool Down Test recently added to RealTemp is very handy when trying to find stuck sensors. Give it a try and post your results here. I'll post a link to it in a minute or two.

I just recieved my E8400 last week. My temps are also stuck. I've used the latest coretemp, realtemp, speedfan. The temps stay at 40c...

Should I RMA?

I hope my cpu doesn't overheat,that is what I am trying to avoid

don't stuck sensors only get stuck below a point? as in they wont read lower than where they are stuck but will read up from it?

stuck is very confusing :(

My sensors are stuck around 40C as well. For load temps, I just worry about the distance to TJmax now instead of the absolute temperature reading...makes life a whole lot easier.

The RealTemp - CPU Cool Down Test is an easy way to spot a stuck sensor.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip

Intel designed these things for thermal throttling and thermal shut down control. All these sensors are tested at the factory and should have no problem doing that job. If you're lucky, these sensors can also be used to report reasonably accurate core temperatures. They are not guaranteed by Intel to provide you with that extra information so if they don't work, it's not a reason to RMA your processor.

The term stuck simply implies that as your CPU cools down, at some point the sensors will become saturated and stick at a fixed temperature. No matter how cool your CPU becomes, that sensor will keep reporting the same thing. When your CPU gets hotter than the sticking point, most of these sensors work just fine.

see mine never budges over 58c idle or load.I have the bios set for the warning to come on once my cpu temp reaches 60c.It has never come on so I am guessing that I am fine with my temps then

Don't forget the BIOS temp warning limit goes on Tcase temp not Tjunction temp. Tcase is usually a lot lower. Max case temp is 72c whereas max core temp is 100c.

As long as you have decent cooling, it is pretty unlikely that you are going to over-temp an E8400. They can run hot without trouble. HAve you tried running Intel Burn Test to see if that heats things up enough to move the temps? The stuck temp thing was a kind of low-limit on the sensor, below the stuck temp it just reported that temp, but reported normal temps above the stuck temp - so in theory if your chip got above 58C it would start showing the actual temp. At stock volts and clocks you probably aren't exceeding 58C - even at 4.0 mine only goes into the 60s.

Back