[H]orde Spotlight #5 - Celerator

alan2308

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2008
First off, tell us about you.
Where do you call home?

Victoria, BC. A beautiful city on Vancouver Island.

What is your family situation?

I've been married for over 40 years to my high school sweetheart. I have an adult son (who folds on his PS3).

What do you do for a living?

I manage a department at a post-secondary institution.

Does your forum name hold any significant meaning?

Celerator was meant to refer to "celeration," a term that refers to a change in rate (like in accelerate or decelerate). My research involves exploring the conditions that change behaviour frequencies (celerations).

Did you ever post in the "Let's see your mug... " thread?

Yes, there's a shot there of my holding a Tuna caught in the Sea of Cortez, near Mulege in the Baja.

Why or why not?

I thought it was a good picture of the fish.

What other hobbies or interests keep you busy?

I write educational software using VB.NET that promotes learning and fluency, RV, garden, and lately my family has become addicted to Rock Band on my PS3 (bought mainly for folding).

Tell us about your involvement in DC.
Who or what got you stated in DC projects? About when was it?

Some years ago(?), I visited [H]ard|OCP to research computer components for a new build. I found the information very helpful and when I saw the DC thread and realized I could contribute, I decided to fold for the [H]orde. I recruited and borged boxen, many of which continue to contribute to the cause today.

Why do you participate?

First, I participate because I hope that discovering how and why proteins misfold will eventually help understand (and cure) diseases. Second, I participate because being a member of the folding community, and especially the [H]orde, provides a connection with a diverse group of people with a common goal (see #1).

If DC'ing could find a cure for just one disease tomorrow, which one would it be and why?

Cancer(s) would be my first choice, primarily because cancer took both of my parents. But I hope that this sort of basic research may affect discoveries in many areas.

What projects have you contributed to? Any others you find interesting?

When some of my old boxen didn't have timeless WUs to chew on, I switched them to that other, now defunct, program. I can't remember what it was called, so maybe my disease of choice should be Alzheimer's!

What teams have you contributed to?

Only the [H]orde. One wife, one son, one team.

Why did you choose the Horde?

"Team spirit" sounds lame, but I think that is it.

If your current project ends, which one will you move on to?

I anticipate that FAH will, in some form, be around longer than I am. This sort of basic research tends to take time.

Current level of production and how's it spread around?

There was a time when I was, off and on, in the top 25 of the [H]orde in PPD. Not any more. When I get mowed over in points, I note that I generally have more completed WUs. I really enjoy seeing someone ramp up (celerate).

Where do you see the [H]ard DC sub-forum in the near future? Long term?

I have always enjoyed the friendly support, and hope it doesn't change. I do miss the competition with the Aussies so I wish they'd step up production. Friendly competition for a good cause is good fun.

Any ideas on improving the [H]ard DC sub-forum, or suggestions or improvements for our Team?

There have been great improvements over the years, and it was good to start with. Perhaps some more contests where subteams can attempt to mow down a high-PPD champ.

Do these boxen have day jobs or are they dedicated folders?

All the boxen have day jobs. And with the exception of playing Rock Band, my PS3 is dedicated to folding.

How are these boxen configured? OS, client, etc?

Nothing fancy: Single CPU boxen are running a single standard client under XP. CD2's are running two standard clients under XP. I stuck with the standard client since I don't have the time to mess with them.

Have you been successful borging? If so, what kind of borging worked for you? (For example, friends, family, and/or work?)

I've borged friends, family and (mainly) work boxen.

Is there anything else you would like to add? Did I forget to ask anything?

I'd love to add more D, and my appreciation to all who fold, and especially to those who support those who fold. Thanks!

Thank you Celerator for another great spotlight and for once, someone who's not a left handed former military folder.
:D

Welp, it's about time they captured one of our inspirational "old time" members. We thought you might have got eaten by a giant tuna or something (only kiddin' :D)

In all cerealness though, great interview. Just one question, does that "celeration" thing have anything to do with the same woman putting up with you for 40+ years and putting up with your folding for almost 6 years :eek:

In the true "team spirit", thanks for folding for the [H]orde :p

Folding and WCGing for the CURE

Great read! This comment really stuck in my mind:
What teams have you contributed to?

Only the [H]orde. One wife, one son, one team.

You just don't see loyalty like that much anymore! 'Course twins on all but the team thing might be kinda cool.. :D

"Team Spirit" is not a lame reason to be crunching with the [H]orde. It's an excellent reason to be here. It's a great group of dedicated individuals that make up an awesome team.

Thanks for taking the time to do the Spotlight Celerator and congrats on 40+ years. Only 36 more to go here?

Thanks for sharing Celerator. Great sense of humor and folds... no wonder she stayed with you. :p:)

Just one question, does that "celeration" thing have anything to do with the same woman putting up with you for 40+ years and putting up with your folding for almost 6 years :eek:

I haven't the foggiest idea why she puts up with me. :confused:

Fold on, [H]orde!

Great interview Celerator, it's nice to know you a bit more :)

nice read .. Thanks for your contributions and loyalty to the [H] ..and more importantly to your familia

very cool :cool:

Back