Vista 64, Hibernation with 8GB RAM possible?

thebeephaha

2[H]4U
It has been disabled and I read on a M$ support page they said it wasn't good for performance.

Any way to force it back on with this much RAM?

my machine just goes to sleep, no need for anything other than that IMHO........

prolly take forever for the machine to read 8GB worth of ram back off of the HDD

My system hibernates fine with 8GB of ram with a fresh installation of Vista64 Ultimate SP1.

If hibernation is disabled, you can re-enable it at an elevated command prompt (run as administrator) with the following command:

powercfg - h on

I just did a quick online search, and this is the first I've heard of MS disabling hibernation with 8GB of memory. My system works just fine, and the option was never disabled.

I just tested it, and it only took 10-15 seconds to power down. But so what if it even takes a minute or two.

The reason I have hibernation enabled is so that in the event of a power failure, my unattended system will hibernate when my UPS is low on battery power. It only costs 8GB of disk space.

my machine just goes to sleep, no need for anything other than that IMHO........

prolly take forever for the machine to read 8GB worth of ram back off of the HDD

My motherboard dislikes sleep due to my overclock, not an option.

My system hibernates fine with 8GB of ram with a fresh installation of Vista64 Ultimate SP1.

If hibernation is disabled, you can re-enable it at an elevated command prompt (run as administrator) with the following command:

powercfg - h on

Will try it.

I'll have to test just out of curiosity (after I free up more than 6GB on my Raptor 150) which is faster: booting from cold or hibernation with 8GB of memory?

Mine works fine. I use hibernate quite often.
Sleep wont work for me for some reason.

Mine works fine. I use hibernate quite often.
Sleep wont work for me for some reason.

You're not mixing up the two terms, right? Hibernation is suspend to disk whereas Sleep is suspend to RAM (also faster at resuming).

If you are using the right terminology then what's your secret? :D Your system specs in your sig say 8GB of RAM. Does your computer see all of that RAM or <4GB of it. I have 4GB of RAM in my system and used XP x64 and Server 2008 x64. BOTH cannot hibernate at all unless I enable the /MAXMEM=4096 switch in boot.ini which cuts back on my available RAM. Both suspend to RAM just fine though.

You're not mixing up the two terms, right? Hibernation is suspend to disk whereas Sleep is suspend to RAM (also faster at resuming).

If you are using the right terminology then what's your secret? :D Your system specs in your sig say 8GB of RAM. Does your computer see all of that RAM or <4GB of it. I have 4GB of RAM in my system and used XP x64 and Server 2008 x64. BOTH cannot hibernate at all unless I enable the /MAXMEM=4096 switch in boot.ini which cuts back on my available RAM. Both suspend to RAM just fine though.

Yeah, hibernate works fine, to disk. Sleep doesn't work, and even if it did, I wouldn't use it anyways. I have vista 64, so it sees all the RAM.

I use hybrid sleep on my system with 8GB RAM (and 4GB RAM before that), which S3 suspends to RAM but also creates a hibernation file in case of power loss. This works pretty well for me. Hibernation though has always been a nightmare on this computer - it takes ages to become fully responsive after resuming. Maybe I just have too much open when I hibernate, though.

Back