Average Temps on e8400

gamerx11

Limp Gawd
Is around 45c on an e8400 an ok or average temp? I just recently built the computer but it has usually been in the range of 37c-40c. Is everything still an ok temp? I do have my e8400 OC'd and I am using the arctic cooling freezer 7 pro.

I'm assuming that's an idle temp, in which case it really isn't of much concern. What you should be looking at is the temperature that your CPU runs at while fully loaded. It isn't really possible to gauge whether or not your CPU is being cooled adequately based only on idle temperatures.

4 Ghz and a freezer 7? 45C has to be idle temp. What's your temp while running intel burn test?

I think during 100% load I'm at 62-63c. Seems high to me but look how high my OC is ;-)

well at 3.76 or so and 1.32v underload 1.387v in bois! 1.36v idle, damn Vdroop! i get:
36c idle and 63c fullload around 55c while gaming :)
still going higher though not far between the vdroop and 4 dimms full of 8gb of ram i fear the cealing is close

not bad.. take the 4 extra gigs of ram out and im sure you will go further with the overclock..

no, 45c is seriously on a load. but, when running 3dvantage mark cpu test it got up to almost 50c. You figure I'm using the antec 900 with all the fans possible and in a cold environment (since its the winter).

Load under what application? Fire up IntelBurnTest and see how hot the chip gets.

Well for reference with a xigmatek 1283, my E8400 at 4.05GHz 1.255v hits 53C in intel burn test. Pretty cool for me.

The 45c is running like windows media player, internet browser, utorrent, and playing Warhammer Online. Its like the most I ever have running. Ya, with the intelburntest it got up to 64c but how long is the test suppose to run? That would be my full load then.

5 runs of IBT should be enough to gauge your max load temps. And no offense, but WMP, uTorrent, a browser, and WAR doesn't exactly qualify as full load. It may be the hardest you'll be running your PC, but it isn't really enough load to use as comparison. 64C under IBT is very decent for your chip though.

Well over 100C. The CPU will shut itself off before it gets to the point where it will be damaged. The only thing you need to worry about is keeping the voltage at a safe level, since that's the only setting you can change that could potentially damage the chip.

My resting temps are around 28 and after 10 runs of Intel Image Burn (196 seconds) I reach 63 on standard e8400 heatsink and fan.

Is this normal????

New System: - Used as a home theater system to run BeyondTV
E8400
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
Microsoft XP 32
2 gb OCZ DDR2 PC 8500 1066
8600GTS
80gb WD Drive
1T Media Drive

My resting temps are around 28 and after 10 runs of Intel Image Burn (196 seconds) I reach 63 on standard e8400 heatsink and fan.

Is this normal????

Yes, it's perfectly normal. The four question marks aren't necessary.

How would I know if my heatsink was improperly installed. If one of the push through clamps were not properly in would that cause me to have a lot higher temps.

As I said before I have temps that go from 30 to 64.

Also, what are the signed that the HSF is installed imporperly.

I need to rule everything out as I trouble shoot my system,

Wow, with my arctic coooling freezer 7 pro I get 64c. Idk how you have it so low, must b the case.

How would I know if my heatsink was improperly installed. If one of the push through clamps were not properly in would that cause me to have a lot higher temps.

As I said before I have temps that go from 30 to 64.

Also, what are the signed that the HSF is installed imporperly.

I need to rule everything out as I trouble shoot my system,

Like I said, your temperatures indicate that everything is fine. 63C under IBT load on stock cooling is great.

I OCed mine to 3.6 and it idles around 41-44 and loads around 60.
I managed to get my e8400 to run 45ºC max after 10 runs of IntelBurnTest at maximum load by *undervolting* it to 1.1v at a 3.6GHz overclock. These chips will do pretty much anything you ask of them... :eek:
I'll believe it when I see a "Real Temp" :p

I OCed mine to 3.6 and it idles around 41-44 and loads around 60.I'll believe it when I see a "Real Temp" :p

This *can't* be right... RealTemp showing 37ºC after 5 maxed runs of IBT?

Are my settings in RealTemp right? I read the page about calibration but decided to leave everything stock to see where it came out.

Screen shot of RealTemp showing 37ºC immediately following 5 runs of IBT

I included all programs on the desktop in case you can see something I have tweaked incorrectly preventing me from seeing an accurate temp.

You're using an older version of Real Temp with the incorrect TJmax values. Add 5C to all of its readings to get the proper numbers. I recommend you grab the latest beta release (2.90 IIRC). Just google it.

So even by adding 5ºC to the values it validates my testing above of ~45ºC max temps on max stress of IBT?

Yep, indeed it does. I'm not really surprised at the low temps to be honest since you're using only 1.1V (although it's still quite impressive that you were able to get it stable with so little :)).

In this video it says to run a stress test for 1hr. Is that actually true? Seems like a long time and would make the cores rly hot. CPU Stress Test Programs

Actually, with a program like Prime95 or Orthos, you should be running it for at least eight hours. With something like IntelBurnTest, 15-20 runs are sufficient, which would take considerably less time. Also, the temperatures of the cores aren't really a concern, since they can handle it fine without being damaged.

Back