GTX295 previewed

Wow!!! I'm looking forward for [H]ard Review...I hope that monster will be defect-free.

it seems to be that the benchmarks on the games are a little scewed since many of them are made to run quite a bit better on nvidia cards. not a true comparison of the performance of the cards.

I like this... :)

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=2770&cid=3&pg=7

"As far as our benchmarks go, the new NVIDIA flagship, the GeForce GTX 295 looks very promising. Sure, skeptics from the ATI camp will say that these handpicked games may favor NVIDIA cards, and while that's for debate, there's no denying that the differences in performance are still rather drastic. Remember, we are not looking at minor 5% to 10% increases, but quite significant ones, ranging from 20% to over 50%.

I like this... :)

"As far as our benchmarks go, the new NVIDIA flagship, the GeForce GTX 295 looks very promising. Sure, skeptics from the ATI camp will say that these handpicked games may favor NVIDIA cards, and while that's for debate, there's no denying that the differences in performance are still rather drastic. Remember, we are not looking at minor 5% to 10% increases, but quite significant ones, ranging from 20% to over 50%.
you surely will like this either catalyst 8.10 :D

cmon guys don't ruin their fun :) next thing you will tell them Santa is not real.:p

Mabey not?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/12/18/first-look-nvidia-geforce-gtx-295-1792mb/12

"In some respects you could make the comparison to the GeForce 9800 GX2 here because that also sacrificed on the memory bandwidth front (if you compare it to the GeForce 8800 GTX and 8800 Ultra) in order to get a pair of GPUs into a single PCIe slot. But we actually think the GeForce GTX 295 is a much better card than the GeForce 9800 GX2 ever was because the memory bus width is pretty wide to start with and partners can add a bit more memory bandwidth into the fray on their overclocked versions. Let's hope they're listening".

Check this....

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...dia-geforce-gtx-295-video-card-preview-8.html

"We have mentioned it before and will do it again here: Far Cry 2 DX10 offers better performance than DX9 mode. Nvidia is able to take full advantage of this with the GTX 295 which pretty much runs away with the show. It is interesting to note that even though ATI supposedly has a more streamlined AA implementation method, the gap between the two top cards actually widens when 4xAA is turned on."
The 295 is probably better at AA than the 4870X2?

This too!

However, what impressed even more was the suggested retail price as positioned by NVIDIA. Set to be launched at the upcoming Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas on January 8, the GeForce GTX 295 will be available for US$499. While that is by no means cheap, it is quite a bargain considering it'll cost less than a Radeon HD 4870 X2, which when we last checked recently, was going for around US$529. Will this force ATI into a price-drop? That looks likely and if so, then it will be sweet revenge for NVIDIA, won't it? And of course that will bring more cheer to enthusiasts shopping for an ultra high-end graphics card".

$499 is a decent price...

I've been burned by NVIDIA's Quad-SLI once already. I don't need another repeat. Granted the 9800GX2 is leaps and bounds better than the 7950GX2 was but still, it didn't get the support it deserved. Plus that is the only multi-GPU configuration to ever give me stuttering issues.

I wouldn't go quad myself...

I want this card for Graphics, and my current 280 for dedicated PhysX on an intel mobo. :)

Mabey not?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/12/18/first-look-nvidia-geforce-gtx-295-1792mb/12

"In some respects you could make the comparison to the GeForce 9800 GX2 here because that also sacrificed on the memory bandwidth front (if you compare it to the GeForce 8800 GTX and 8800 Ultra) in order to get a pair of GPUs into a single PCIe slot. But we actually think the GeForce GTX 295 is a much better card than the GeForce 9800 GX2 ever was because the memory bus width is pretty wide to start with and partners can add a bit more memory bandwidth into the fray on their overclocked versions. Let's hope they're listening".

Check this....

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...dia-geforce-gtx-295-video-card-preview-8.html

"We have mentioned it before and will do it again here: Far Cry 2 DX10 offers better performance than DX9 mode. Nvidia is able to take full advantage of this with the GTX 295 which pretty much runs away with the show. It is interesting to note that even though ATI supposedly has a more streamlined AA implementation method, the gap between the two top cards actually widens when 4xAA is turned on."
The 295 is probably better at AA than the 4870X2?

This too!

However, what impressed even more was the suggested retail price as positioned by NVIDIA. Set to be launched at the upcoming Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas on January 8, the GeForce GTX 295 will be available for US$499. While that is by no means cheap, it is quite a bargain considering it'll cost less than a Radeon HD 4870 X2, which when we last checked recently, was going for around US$529. Will this force ATI into a price-drop? That looks likely and if so, then it will be sweet revenge for NVIDIA, won't it? And of course that will bring more cheer to enthusiasts shopping for an ultra high-end graphics card".

$499 is a decent price...
i didn't say this card sucks or smthng but it lost in three titles with 2560 res and in some games performance gap was closed in that res believe it or not this card needs more memory

I didn't intend it as a rail agains you. :)

I hope there is enouigh memory too. I wouldn't want any major microstuttering going on with this card myself. ;)

If 1920x1200 is golden on this card with AA, it's good enouigh for me.

if there wasn't ms i could have picked dual gpu card but i don't think they solved it

I've been burned by NVIDIA's Quad-SLI once already. I don't need another repeat. Granted the 9800GX2 is leaps and bounds better than the 7950GX2 was but still, it didn't get the support it deserved. Plus that is the only multi-GPU configuration to ever give me stuttering issues.

Yep, i'll be sticking with my sli 260s until the 40nm cards come out. I've already blown my computer budget for the next 6 months anyway by building an i7 rig and buying the 30" dell. I really need to stop surfing the Hot Deals section, it just gets me in trouble.

Although it's still very early and a lot of these charts are very preliminary, but still why oh why didn't Nvida give each GPU a full 1 gb for the 295? I just don't understand. Didn't they learn from the GX2 fiasco? These cards are aimed at the enthusiast elite and that means 2560X1600 with AA if possible. From some of those graphs it looks like the 487X2 will still beat the 295 at the highest settings.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong. I'm always looking to upgrade but I don't see a point in shelling out another $500-600 if I'm not going to see any improvement in the gameplay at the highest settings. We'll see.

Although it's still very early and a lot of these charts are very preliminary, but still why oh why didn't Nvida give each GPU a full 1 gb for the 295? I just don't understand. Didn't they learn from the GX2 fiasco? These cards are aimed at the enthusiast elite and that means 2560X1600 with AA if possible. From some of those graphs it looks like the 487X2 will still beat the 295 at the highest settings.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong. I'm always looking to upgrade but I don't see a point in shelling out another $500-600 if I'm not going to see any improvement in the gameplay at the highest settings. We'll see.

The two huge GPU dies probably didn't leave much room for the extra RAM chips.

I know what im using my eVGA trade up for in Jan :D

I may be in that position too. I've got an evga gtx280 on the way, should be here before xmas (i hope) comes with the 90 day step up, so lets hope evga pull a 295 out of the bag before my 90 days runs out :p They will, won't they?:confused:

Well I am also waiting for the finel version and some real reviews before I make any decisions on whether or not to buy one of these things.

Back