My EVGA X58 is DOA.

magoo

[H]F Junkie
Well, got a brandee-new EVGA X58 on Wednesday from mwave.

Cracked open the box today. Lots of goodies in that big black box......
New i7 920, check.
New Corsair Dominator 6 GB kit (1600), check.

Cracked open that Intel box and carefully placed that new CPU in place, after cleaning the top so shiny with ArcticClean.....put the stock cooler in for testing and loading the OS and new BIOS upgrade......getting closer to seeing the little LEDs go on......

Opened the plastic jackets the RAM came in......slipped one in the first green slot, like the great big quick install poster said to do......

Put it on the bench.....used my faithful PC P&C 850W PSU.....plugged it in......ohhhhh look, the little LEDs DID come on.......:eek:
Placed my good ol' GTX 7900 for video feed.....make sure the PCI-e cable is plugged in, check.

Man, this is so cool, the power button is right down there on the board......ready, set, HIT IT!!!!!!

The fans are on, the fans are on.......oh boy..........uh oh......uh oh......there's no video, there's no POST screen......SHIT........I must have done something wrong.......I've never had a DOA motherboard........never.......NEVER........
Ok,Ok go back over all the steps.......looks good.......shit, you dumb-ass, try a different RAM stick......reset the CMOS.....turn off the power.....take out the battery......RAM,power,CMOS.......shit,shit,shit.

Look at that little code thingy at the bottom of the board......every time I turn the power on it laughs at me......F3,F4,62; F3,F4,62.....I'm waiting for it to say "hike".

Well, that's about my day.
Brand new stuff.
Brand new X58 motherboard, first time I ever bought an EVGA board.......and the fucker is DOA.
Well, Santa Claus, they do have that advanced RMA thing......so it looks like I'm gettin nuthin for Christmas but packing Peanuts.:(

excellent read! sorry for your bad luck, but damn......you sure can type out a hell of a story!

I have kicked this thread over to EVGA.

For what it is worth, I have seen UPS and FedEx kill perfectly good hardware many time. I think they pass it between two giant Tesla coils to check for static charge. ;)

And I just opened my second EVGA X58 board and it is running fine.

Unfortunately that's the way random luck goes (especially if UPS delivered it), sometimes they work other times they don't, could be a problem from the factory, could be that someone kicked the living shit out of it in transit.

The rig was going to be a present for my son.:eek:
Lucky son, different from the one in the title I hope? :p :D

Keep us posted when the new board posts. *pun intended* :cool:

Evga sucks, they have the worst quality control I have ever seen.

Its a hit or miss with their stuff. Not me again. Doing an RMA is also hit and miss with them

What are you talking about EVGA sucks, you suck at life.

magoo already said EVGA was responsive to an RMA, but chose to get a refund. I've never had a bad product EVER from EVGA, and I've purchased alot of video cards and motherboards from them.

EVGA=ftw

UPS=ftl

Evga sucks, they have the worst quality control I have ever seen.

Its a hit or miss with their stuff. Not me again. Doing an RMA is also hit and miss with them

I had a cross-ship RMA from EVGA with an hour of my phoning them, on a Saturday; right before Christmas. I waited less than two minutes on the phone and there was no hassle at all.

I chose to send my board back to mwave for a full refund. I then ordered a new board from newegg, because I could get it before Christmas. The only reason I used mwave in the first place was newegg was out of stock the day I decided to order the first one.

The second board has been nothing short of flawless. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1379102

I chose the EVGA board based partly on their support and I am not disappointed one little bit.

Glad to hear second board is good. I heard good things about their new X58, thats my next choice when I go to i7.

Back