Overclocking 4870x2

sanitystealer

Limp Gawd
I have heard that it's really buggy, has anyone been able to get a stable overclock on both chips?

I plan to upgrade to watercooling, but only if I'd be able to take advantage of the additional cooling with a decent overclock.

What do you all think?

yeah you can overclock them.. believe CCC allows it now for the 4870x2 but its got a limit on how far you can overclock.. and i think rivatuner can.. but cant remember.. i know there was a thread talking about it either in this section or in the video card section of the forum.. might want to try a quick search to see if you can find anything..

Had no problem doing 850 core, 950 mem, with the stock cooler. I added a water block, but that didn't increase my ability to overclock.

And it seems in most games my GPU usage is so low, I don't think my overclock really even matters. Some of my games I can run my card at 500MHz and still get the same FPS as I do at 850MHz. *shrug*

Going from tests and numerous reviews overclocking provides no real extra fps (2-5 max, even lower in some games) and creates unnecessary heat to an already extremely hot card.

Maybe I'll just stick with stock cooling :)

That should be fine, I hope I can deal with the noise :)
I'm assuming you're getting new mobo/cpu for the hd4870x2? As for good cooling the hd4870x2 tri-fan edition has EXCELLENT temps and low noise compared to the loudness of the stock hd4870x2 tiny fan trying to cool both cores. The trifan version also doesn't cost anymore then the hd4870x2s (and actually less then some).

Going from tests and numerous reviews overclocking provides no real extra fps (2-5 max, even lower in some games) and creates unnecessary heat to an already extremely hot card.

This really isn't a hot card unless you chose not to manually set fan speed.

At 40% I get idle temps of 36/39 and load temps in the 50-55c range, and the fan isn't noticeable over the average case with proper cooling.

This is running 800/950.

This really isn't a hot card unless you chose not to manually set fan speed.

At 40% I get idle temps of 36/39 and load temps in the 50-55c range, and the fan isn't noticeable over the average case with proper cooling.

This is running 800/950.
My case has acoustic foam/noctua fans and 40% fan speed is incredibly noisy :/

My case has acoustic foam/noctua fans and 40% fan speed is incredibly noisy :/

Strange, I can't hear my fan at all from video. I can turn it down to 35 or 30 and no noticable difference in sound.

I have 4 scythe s-flex's in my case and an Ultra 3k, all turned all the way down on my fan controller. (turned up it's a touch noisy due to the 3krpm Scythe.)

And I have no padding, my Antec 900 sits less than 2 ft from my face on my desk, and I watch movies on my TV/Movies in my room *shrug*.

I'm just retardedly sensitive to noise. I can't sleep if my lcds are plugged in because I hear their idle electrical noise.

I'm just retardedly sensitive to noise. I can't sleep if my lcds are plugged in because I hear their idle electrical noise.

lol im the opposite.. i have to be able to hear my computers.. ill wake up in the middle of the night if one of my systems turned off.. a couple months ago the power went out for a good 5 hours and i couldnt fall asleep at all with my computers off.. the silence was driving me insane..

I never bothered overclocking my 4870X2. It powers through almost every game I have except for Far Cry 2 and Crysis at 1920x1200. I doubt it'd even make much of a difference.

I used the CCC to OC the GPU clock and memory. I am sitting at 800 Mhz on the GPU (as high as CCC will let me go) and 970 on the memory. At idle I sit at around 42C with the manual control at 40%. You cant hear the fan at that speed. My CPU fan (Stock Tuniq Tower) makes more noise that it.

As far as watercooling I don't think you will notice too much more of overclocking ability (eventually it just cant go any faster), however you will notice a massive difference in noise levels as to be honest the stock fan on this card sucks balls and unless you get the tri-fan version (mentioned elsewhere in this post) you will notice lots of noise at load. I may be wrong but it seems when the GPU hits a certain temp no matter what CCC has been manually set to it overrides and cools the GPU down (not complaining too much as it saves me from burning up my chip). I have noticed this specifically in Furmark stability tests (which stress it to a degree I never will, but its still nice to know how far it can go).

I mustve gotten a really crappy card, I can't OC the memory nearly at all (maybe 915) without seeing artifacts when benchmarking :(. 800 on core np.

What benchmarking tests are you using that are giving you artifacts?

I have the same card (diff manufacture though) MSI.

Back