Vista 64 - Native 64-bit Software?

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
I am new to Vista x64. I was wondering if there are any native 64-bit apps worth using. I see that ffdshow codecs 64 bit version is still buggy, so better off going with 32 bit flavor. Also looks like Firefox x64 has issues with Flash, or rather no flash support.

Is there any worthwhile 64 bit software to use? Stability is very important to me.

Thanks!

Edit: Worthy x64 Apps I found so far:

7-Zip/WinZip
Acronis True Image
Adobe CS3/CS4 (Note that 32 bit plug-ins will not work)
Avira/NOD32
Daemon Tools Lite
QuickSFV
SyncToy
UltraMon
UltraVNC (This is still 32 bit, however it FULLY works with Vista x64! Others have issues with Vista such as TightVNC. I have personally confirmed this.)

Pretty much the only native x64 app I use is Adobe Lightroom (picture software).

Besides that I mainly use x64 as windows itself seems a bit faster to me.

I am new to Vista x64. I was wondering if there are any native 64-bit apps worth using. I see that ffdshow codecs 64 bit version is still buggy, so better off going with 32 bit flavor. Also looks like Firefox x64 has issues with Flash, or rather no flash support.

Is there any worthwhile 64 bit software to use? Stability is very important to me.

Thanks!

What do you use?

You do realize that 32 bit will run no problem on 64? It is backward compatible.

That said, you'll find the 64 bit versions, most of the time, to run much smoother.
IE7 x64 for example. But like you said: lacks flash support. Adobe just is too freakin' lazy and incompetent to realize that 64 bit computing is gaining QUICKLY.

Windows Media Player has a 64 bit version as well.

Countless other programs. I know CS3/CS4 have 64 bit variants.

But mainly, the 32 bit version works if you can't find 64. Running 32 on a 64 bit system won't hurt your performance any, it's just the 64 bit gives you more advantages.

start64.com for some more good 64-bit software.

Oh, and 7-ZIP! Great program to take advantage of 64-bit capabilities -- really speeds up compression/decompression of files and folders.

What do you use?

You do realize that 32 bit will run no problem on 64? It is backward compatible.

I understand that. Just want to use 64 bit where possible, but only if it's faster AND just as/more stable.

I'm quite fond of WinRAR, but if 7-Zip is that much faster I'll go with that. Thanks! ;)

Thanks for the link by the way, I'll check it out.

7-zip is such an automatic thing I install on my systems I completely forgot about it. But yes, the 64 bit version is AWESOME, and that's where 64 bit really shines.

I've got exactly ONE thing stopping me from moving to x64, and that's CheckPoint SecureClient. They still haven't released an X64 version, and from the looks of thier forums they don't have much of a plan to.

I hate that company.

Logitech Setpoint (if you have logitech mice)

It is worth installing Setpoint? I have the MX518 and never installed mouse drivers for it when I used XP. I always thought it was bloatware.

Would using it make my mouse more precise?

Thanks!

It is worth installing Setpoint? I have the MX518 and never installed mouse drivers for it when I used XP. I always thought it was bloatware.

Would using it make my mouse more precise?

Thanks!

It's just for customizing settings and buttons.

Back