HOW TO: Paint The Inside Of A Case On The Cheap.

• Thread starter Deleted member 184142
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 184142

Ok, So I got my new CM 590 in and thought it would look better black on the inside, and I had seen a few threads here and there about painting on the cheap so I thought I would do a quick and dirty write up, it may not answer all your questions but it should help with the overall steps. Feel free to ask questions or point something out that needs to be explained better.

I tried my best to keep costs down, but some things can't be helped, so no HVLP guns :D, just aerosol spray cans, and the cheapest walmart ones you can get, they ran me 99 cents each and took a total of 4 cans, though I did cut it close. A quick word about prices, Once you pass $2 a can your not going to find much better, and are just throwing money away spending more, unless its a fancy color or custom mixed from a paint store. Overall you should be able to get away with spending about $10 on painting a case depending on size, color choice, matte, semi-gloss, gloss, basecoat/clearcoat etc etc. and most of all where you live and shop for the supplies.

Another thing is I also chose to do scuffing with a scotch pad rather than sandpaper, it's easier to use on the inside of a case with all the weird shapes and odd/hard to get to places and should cost less than sandpaper. One pad should be more than enough for most case sizes. You can use either the red or gray pads, red is about the same as 400 grit sandpaper and gray is about 600, I use the red.

I am doing a single stage matte black on this case, though doing a gloss basecoat/clearcoat follows the same steps with just one more for the application of the clear.

Now, a list of things needed to start:

1. PAINT!

2. Scotch-Brite,

3. Tape and masking supplies, most will probably use newspaper as you already have some laying around.

4. Some kind of wax and grease remover, though just washing the case could work out ok and save you a few bucks, but if you get fisheye or cracking in the paint don't say I didn't warn you.

5. Tack cloth and compressed air.

Before we get started I will give a few pointers, the biggest problem I see is people painting with the nozzle to close to the surface. This will cause what look like "wet" streaks in the paint even after it dries.

now these photos are a bit deceiving, as it is hard to spray and take a photo at the same time. Every can will be different, and it also matters on the painter and at the speed you are making passes.

This first image is what NOT to do, you are either to close, moving to slow or both.

4d4ce5f3.jpg

This is about where you want to be, nice even coats with a 50/50 overlap, meaning that each following pass should overlap the last by half. You might want to invest in a can that has a "fan" nozzle, if it's well made it can make a world of difference wile painting. You also are not trying to cover everything on the first pass, so don't bear down on one spot or get so close wile trying to get 100% coverage in one pass, you are going to cause yourself to put runs in the paint.

6716f346.jpg

Ok, so to start, get out your supplies.

fe4a32ca.jpg

You are gonna want to start off by stripping the case down, it is MUCH easier to take something off than it is to tape it off, it also helps for a much cleaner look. Skipping ahead a bit, If your case has vents or fan holes on an area you are masking off make sure you tape over the holes so you are not just trapping in over spray under the paper.

Tape first:
48de29b3.jpg

Then paper:
99f56d92.jpg

Ok, back on track, at this point you should be scuffing everything you want painted, take your time and do a good job, unlike with sandpaper it can be hard to see the areas that you have already scuffed, and there is no such thing as going over board. you also might want to put some tape along edges and other areas you don't want to scuff up with the pad, doing that now can save you allot of headaches down the road.

After you are done scuffing the case it is a good idea to use some compressed air to blow off any dust or strands from the scotch pad, if nothing else the air you use for cleaning out dust from your HS should work just fine.

16a9e1d4.jpg

Next is the Wax and Grease remover and/or wash time, the whole point is to get off any contaminants that might prohibit the paint from adhering to the surface. I used my shops 1705 cleaner, you can get this at just about any automotive paint store.

ffe98da5.jpg

9abd2fa1.jpg

After you wipe the surface you should always come back with a clean rag to wipe off any residue.

77ec15ba.jpg

Next step is tacking, again can be found at any automotive paint store, even allot of the parts stores are starting to carry some paint supplies, such as O'Reillys, but be ready to bend over.

443bfa7e.jpg

b937ea99.jpg

Ok, now it's the fun part! Painting! A few tips, the inside of cases have allot of hard to reach areas, it is best to shoot them first to get some color in the area, it will help you to keep from putting runs in the paint and will help reduce overspray on the larger flat surfaces and reduces the risk of touching wet paint wile sticking your hand in the case to get in those odd places. Keeping the can well shaken and warm will help, it also helps for it to be dry out, in my case is was freezing cold and had been raining for 4 days straight, not the best condition's to be painting in. As you can see I opted not to use primer, as I said I am trying to do this for the people looking to do it as cheap as can be done.

2e7a167e.jpg

9e9f84c4.jpg

bb489f51.jpg

7802850a.jpg

Now remember what I said about spraying, not to heavy even coats. You should give about a 10 min. flash time after each coat.

First coat:

12680ff6.jpg

Second coat:

12afff4a.jpg

Third coat:

0e1a80d4.jpg

Final fourth coat:

3bf64017.jpg

In these cases matte is easier to do than gloss, it is harder to get a even look and to keep overspray from ruining the paint job, you will also need to put on heavier coats to get a nice "wet" look, but watch out as runs are a pain in the ass. If you are doing BC/CC at this point you would go on in the same manner as before but with the clear.

And now, what you have when you are done!

46ae49c3.jpg

2f963315.jpg

e7b572b1.jpg

d57c95ff.jpg

2ced4463.jpg

4483582e.jpg

Overall it looks better in person, and considering it was a real cheap quickie, I give it a solid 4 out of 10.

I hope this little write up is useful for someone trying to paint their case for the first time.

Total cost (for me) $5.86 after tax, had I needed to buy paper, cleaner etc. I think I could have gotten away with $10-15.

thank you for inspiring me to do a winter break project, time to paint the inside of my antec 900

Only addition I would make, which I included in my older guide, is to start off of the piece... With rattlecan paint, the first spray from the can is always much heavier than the rest of the pass, so you start outside the piece, sweep across the piece, and end outside of it again. You paint "across" the surface.

It's always good to have more guides like this - multiple perspectives, and pictorials are very helpful :)

thank you for inspiring me to do a winter break project, time to paint the inside of my antec 900

Your welcome! Good luck on the project, if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Only addition I would make, which I included in my older guide, is to start off of the piece... With rattlecan paint, the first spray from the can is always much heavier than the rest of the pass, so you start outside the piece, sweep across the piece, and end outside of it again. You paint "across" the surface.

It's always good to have more guides like this - multiple perspectives, and pictorials are very helpful :)

It's a good idea to add, as I thought about that as well and got a short video clip I planed on adding later, as I am out of town right now and don't have any kind of video editing software on hand.

It's not that the spray is heavier but rather most people have a "delay" in movement because they push the nozzle first and then start the movement. I recommend practicing on a sheet of paper and get use to triggering, when you start movement, depress the nozzle and once to the other side you trigger, that's when you release the nozzle, stop and then reverse movement and then depressing the nozzle again.

I also agree about the multiple perspectives, everyone has their own way, most work pretty well, but some work better for some than others.

It's not that the spray is heavier but rather most people have a "delay" in movement because they push the nozzle first and then start the movement. I recommend practicing on a sheet of paper and get use to triggering, when you start movement, depress the nozzle and once to the other side you trigger, that's when you release the nozzle, stop and then reverse movement and then depressing the nozzle again.

Yeah, aha. I didn't explain myself properly... Food coma from a 20lb turkey.

Either way, pooling is sad... I've seen so many custom mods where the mobo tray is painted almost exclusively with pooled paint... When all it takes is about an inch of effort to correct it.

Yeah, aha. I didn't explain myself properly... Food coma from a 20lb turkey.

Either way, pooling is sad... I've seen so many custom mods where the mobo tray is painted almost exclusively with pooled paint... When all it takes is about an inch of effort to correct it.

I understand how you feel lol, family sure takes it out of you to, boy I can't wait to go back home. And yeah, I think I understood what you said, I have seen cars painted that way to, worse one was a guy who painted everything in one coat (looked like shit), it had REALLY bad solvent entrapment, you could even feel it, it was like touching a water bed.

My 2 cents worth is to remove the rivets and spray the cas dissassembled since it is easier to paint and to fix any boo boo's.

winter's pretty much the worst time to spray paint. Temperature is a key issue in teh quality of the finish and adherence. Humidity is a close second, so a wet spring or muggy summer is also to be avoided.
The way to spraypaint in winter is bring all your materials inside, get everything warm, wait until the warmest and sunniest part of the day then move outside and paint quickly. Then place the part in the warmest place you can get away with the fumes, while it dries.
And paint with as light a coat as possible under those conditions.

And frankly it shouldn't take more than two cans to paint the inside of a comp case. Using way too much paint otherwise.

My 2 cents worth is to remove the rivets and spray the cas dissassembled since it is easier to paint and to fix any boo boo's.

Truth be told the work involved in drilling out rivets and reriveting the case is far to much added work and much more work than taking the time to spray into the little odd places first. Not only that but it adds ALLOT to the overall cost, as this is about how to do it for the least amount of money, the person would have to go and buy a rivet gun and rivets, so allot of added cost and time with very very little gain.

Now, maybe if someone was looking to do the 100% best and slickest and planed on doing water sanding and buffing after on a BC/CC, yeah, might be helpful to take the case 100% apart, but remember, this is about doing it on the cheap.

Back