Thermalright AXP-140 - The new XP-120

Leman

Gawd
http://vr-zone.com/articles/thermalright-axp-140-heatsink-unveiled-and-unboxed-/6358.html?doc=6358
AXP-140Top.jpg

And for comparison:
DSC00490.jpg

I'm counting 6 heatpipes, wrapping around in a G shape, giving you heat pipe coverage all around. Takes 120 or 140mm fans. Doesn't look like it'll have height clearance problems, or the base being too long (stupid XP-120). Weighs a whopping 900g or about 2 lb for you silly Americans and Brits. Looks like it'll be using a bolt through kit (would you use anything else?). MSRP at $60. Standard, I guess. Would cost the same as a Noctua C12P after you factor in the fan (Noctua P12).

145 x 147 x 70 mm. Lovely. The XP120 is 63mm tall. This is great news for anybody who wants a low profile heatsink that'll perform (not quite low enough for active cooling in a Sugo case, however).

Oh, and if you've never tried it, try cleaning your heatsink by running it under water. Warm water. Heatpipes really do work. You take it for granted, until you've run hot water through your fins, and you're feeling it down in the base.

I have not been able to find a dimensional diagram of this cooler, but it is said to be 70mm high without a fan...I am very interested in this cooler for fa Tt lanbox lite...but i can't find any performace reviews yet...anyone?

Yeah, that is an interesting heatsink. I too am curious of any reviews.

If I hadn't have already bought the NH-C12P I'd be all over this.
Thermalright should've released this months ago. :eek:

Looking forward to seeing how this stacks up against the TRUE. I personally never liked the tower coolers because they didn't cool the area surrounding the socket, and it seems like every board manufacturer chose the same damned time the towers became popular to ditch chipset fans. I had to ditch my IP35-pro because I couldn't overclock a quad worth shit on it because the PWM cooler couldn't get any airflow in a case; worked great while it was on the bench with a box fan though :)

Weighs a whopping 900g or about 2 lb for you silly Americans and Brits.

And just what is wrong with our completely illogical units of measure?

IIRC, it will fit into a Lanbox. I wouldn't want the PSU blowing air out of there, though.

with the lanbox lite you can flip the psu so that it draws from the top and vents out the back...so it wont fight the cpu cooler for airflow...i think i will try that..the axp-140 looks like the ideal low profile HTPC cooler

from what i read in the thermalright official website
it says it was made that ur fan will blow down toward the mobo...
is that true? or i mean would it be better than blowing up or out away from the mobo?

Some airflow at a higher temperature than ambient is better than no airflow at all. However, I'm fairly sure its more recommended to have the fan blow down because you can get more air pressure when blowing it than sucking the air from down up.

I didn't notice an appreciable difference, however. My XP120 seems fine either way.

And just what is wrong with our completely illogical units of measure?
I prefer using zoidbergs, where pi kilograms is equal to phi zoidbergs.

It'd be interesting to see its performance in a real world SFF case instead of the Tt 1000. It does look promising though for people wanting a low noise hsf for a HTPC set up.

Arrghh...

Oh well donesn't look like a new king of the hill... But certainly a good hs.

Guess I shouldn't expect more than what the u-120 is giving me. Also to me it looks like the U-120 has a large fin area (thickness), Thats probably whats hurting this one...

I was also somewhat hoping that the fins would attach directly to the base. I know the heat pipes do the work but I just don't understand why manufactures eliminate the fin to base connection.

the fin base thing is an argument that occures on a lot of heatpipe cpu cooler threads...the arguments against them are cost, weight, attachment method..and thermodynamics...essentially if your heat has no resistance and heads up the heatpipes, why then do you want to add a set of fins that will absorb some of the heat that is meant to be drawn away...Maybe it lets the pips cool a little too much and results in not enough difference between the base and top of the heat pipes..so the pipes sort of stall...I wouldn't mind seeing an experiment. By a Northbridge cooler, stick it on top of the base and then do some heating benchmarks...and then do them without...

Could be just what I'm looking for.

Anyone have any idea whether it will interfere with the NB/PWM heatsinks on the Lanparty P45 JR? If it's all good then I'll certainly be looking into this

Ok, from the detailed specs on the Thermalright site you have 40mm from the base of the heatsink to the bottom of the fins...and then the fins are 30mm thick and it's 70mm to the top...the heatsink itself is 147mm by 145mm...
axpdwxu9ld0.jpg

like Bipolarbear question
since i still havent have my mobo ready
i might be looking at the XFX 9300 mobo ( just because of the color theme :rolleyes: )
but probably end up with P5E-VM HDMI as it is the best mATX for 775, imo
so will this thing be in the way of the XFX 9300 mobo heatsinks and will it be in the way of 4 sticks of Dominators?

I have a p5e shipping to me right now, along with the axp-140...I will take some measurments once i have it, like real clearance over ram etc. I have 2x sticks and want to put 4 in but i wasn't sure if they would clear..I also want to get an HR-05 for the northbridge but this might be in the way...

Any news on compatibility yet? How similar is the p5e to the lanparty jr?

If I can confirm that this will clear the northbridge heatsink and also the fins on my patriot vipers I'll buy this for sure.

Also, any feedback on performance from actual users yet? I was hoping it could take a q6600 to around ~3.4ish?

Ok, my axp-140 came today and I was able to mess around with it some and take lots of pics w/ measurments. I have a p5e-vm HDMI and a Lanbox lite, powersupply is a Thermaltake Toughpower 750 ...First off, It fits. I have a yate loon medium speed 140mm fan on it. The major squeezes are 1. There is about 31mm of clearance off the top of the AXP-140 so if the fan is ~25mm thick you cannot insert the motherboard with the fan clamped...So you have to unclamp the fan, slide it in and then clamp it down. It will not clamp 100% on all 4 corners either, it clamps on 2 and 1/2 on the other 2, but it is not going to be a problem as it is still very secure. I think a 120 fan would clamp better and have about 3 more mm of clearance as it would sit more in the center of the top in a lower depression...It feels as if the fan has lost about 25% of its flow from being so close to the powersupply...
Some intersesting observations- It can only be oriented 2 ways, heat pipes towards the rear w/ heatsink overhanging the ram or heat pipes to the side with heatsink overhanging the 1st pcix slot and the entire northbridge...I chose over the ram...You will not be able to fit 4 sticks of ram if they have any high heat spreaders. I have g.skill's with normal heat spreaders...no prob. It will block at least 50% of the northbridge cooler in the install i chose...or 100% the other way. I am hoping that the flow through will cool the northbridge some. If it gets too hot i would have to get maybe an hr-05 sli/ifx b/c the straight vert one might not fit. Also, with the heat pipes facing the rear, the 2 exhaust fans will probably also provide some cooling...
I just did a mock install for space for a lot of the pics/measuring...But once i figured out my preferred orientation i did a real install. I don't have any cooling #s yet...probably this weekend.
I also had to whip out the dremmel to get the GTX 285 to fit...i will do a full post on the build later..
Here are some pics for reference.

Here is the clearance between the hs and ps

Here is the clearance with the fan (yate loon 140x25mm)
Also note that the clearance between the ram and the lowest portion is 13mm

Here is a top down look showing how much fan is exposed for drawing air.

This is the orientation i did not choose, it blocks the 1st slot and the N.bridge, but if you had high ram heatsinks this would work if you only used 2 slots

Hmmm could be ideal for the Silverstone SG03 case.

Yeah, maybe another option for the SG03. Curious to see if it is an improvement over the NT06-e though, and whether it fits on a DFI LP JR T2RS without interfering with the NB cooler. It's $99 here down under, and only one distributor. Don't think i'll be forking out almost double the NT06-e for a minimal (if any) drop in temps.

Looking forward to seeing some cooling performance numbers from this one, as it's v similar to the setup I'll be using it in...

Ok, so i got the whole system put together last night...it took several days b/c i have to do it after 10pm...(note the video card is not installed yet, i wanted to test the cpu first and cabling is such an adventure in the uatx i didn't want to have to take it out 2 or 3x) ...:So from my sig you can see it is a Lanbox Lite and a q9550 E0. Ok...Ambient temp was 22C. Idle temps were ~38 to 40c w/ Stock front 92mm fan, 3x Vantec Stealth SF6025L 60mm exhaust fans at 100%. I believe they are 12 cfm. I also have a 140mm Cpu fan, the yate loon medium speed D14SM-12 62cf@1400rpm.
I ran prime95 for a little over 1.5hrs, ~15reps b/c i had to go to work...It was topping out at 66-68c for cores 0 and 1 and 70-73c for cores 2 and 3.
I have a temp probe on my multi meter and it showed that the stock northbridge cooler was 50c (hot to the touch) the ram heatsink was 47c. The exterior edge of the axp-140 fins was ~43c, and you could feel the warmth coming off of it. I wasn't able to snake the probe onto the base of the heatsink, I will have to try that again later.
I am wondering if this is par for this cooler, or if i need to give it a go at reseating it...I will do an experiment tonight if i can...I will hook an 80mm fan up the the mobo and point it at the side of the cooler and see what the temps do....
It def. works, although i don't think there is much room for overclocking as i have it set up right now.

For those interested. I exchanged e-mails with Thermalright. They have confirmed that this is Socket 1366 compatible. Parts are available already (waiting on them to tell me where).

Ok, so i got the whole system put together last night...it took several days b/c i have to do it after 10pm...(note the video card is not installed yet, i wanted to test the cpu first and cabling is such an adventure in the uatx i didn't want to have to take it out 2 or 3x) ...:So from my sig you can see it is a Lanbox Lite and a q9550 E0. Ok...Ambient temp was 22C. Idle temps were ~38 to 40c w/ Stock front 92mm fan, 3x Vantec Stealth SF6025L 60mm exhaust fans at 100%. I believe they are 12 cfm. I also have a 140mm Cpu fan, the yate loon medium speed D14SM-12 62cf@1400rpm.
I ran prime95 for a little over 1.5hrs, ~15reps b/c i had to go to work...It was topping out at 66-68c for cores 0 and 1 and 70-73c for cores 2 and 3.
I have a temp probe on my multi meter and it showed that the stock northbridge cooler was 50c (hot to the touch) the ram heatsink was 47c. The exterior edge of the axp-140 fins was ~43c, and you could feel the warmth coming off of it. I wasn't able to snake the probe onto the base of the heatsink, I will have to try that again later.
I am wondering if this is par for this cooler, or if i need to give it a go at reseating it...I will do an experiment tonight if i can...I will hook an 80mm fan up the the mobo and point it at the side of the cooler and see what the temps do....
It def. works, although i don't think there is much room for overclocking as i have it set up right now.

Any chance you could run the heatsink without the fan and post results? I don't think fans work well in push/pull so close to one another (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

yeah, I have the cpu fan connected to a Kaze fan controller...I can give you ambient...but i am not sure it will last very long under a full 4core stress...if you are wondering how it i will work in a HTPC situation w/ stock speeds and exhaust fans...

Ok i just shut the fan off for 25 min and just surfed the net etc...the Speedfan temp of the cores rose to 47-48c. I just turned the fan back on and it dropped to 38...The real shit kicker is the northbridge and southbridge...those suckers are incredibly hot...fry an egg hot...Speedfan says 120f (48c)

Actually those NB temps don't seem too bad with the stock heatsinks. If you're really worried you can always stick a 40mm fan on top of it.

well, just from looking at it you can see that a true would be better...but it would never fit in SFF case like the lanbox lite...Here is a decent review (same as before)

http://www.overclockersonline.net/?page=articles&num=2411&pnum=0

god help me...
I am going to throw a 120mm fan on it and see if the extra 2mm of clearance that gives yields better cooling under load...and then i think this weekend i will remove the cooler, lap it, and then reseat it...It didn't have a particularly shiny finish...
I think i am going to take mine out, lap it, and then reseat it and try

as borat would say....Wow wow wee wa...
What a difference the 120mm fan makes..I guess there wasn't enough clearance between the bottom of the psu and the 140mm fan...If you look at the pics of the cooler you can see that the to is 'stepped' so a 140mm fan sits about 2-3mm higher than the notch for a 120mm fan...So i replaced the yate loon ( D14SM-12 ) 140mm 62 CFM @1400rpm with a masscool FD12025B1L34 52.05 CFM at 1,500 RPM...These fans are both virtually silent, and i do have a speed controller...anyway, the 120mm makes a huge difference...In Prime95 Large FFTs after 45min with the 140mm fan I was in the low 70c range for all cores..give or take...With the added clearance over the 120mm fan i am seeing temps in the 57-59c range across all 4 cores..that is about a 12c difference...and I am psyched because that means i don't have to reseat the cooler...I am going to leave it running for another hour or so...

Note...I had the cpu fan running at max. and cut the speed by 50% to ~800 rpm and then temps instantly started to climb towards 70...and then i cranked it back up to 1500 and they cam right back down to 60ish.

Now i am VERY pleased. I am thinking with a stronger 120mm fan i could get some very cool temps...crank it for gaming, tune it back for htpc..

Also, fyi, my psu is inverted so it draws from the top of the case and ejects out the back...so it is just the flat exterior of the psu above the fan...

Ok, now i ran intel burn test, 8 iterations...it barely broke 60c on the last rep...I am now VERY pleased with the performance of the AXP-140...i dare say it is kicking ass for such a low profile cooler. The difference really was the 120mm fan...This cooler kicks ass in the Lanbox Lite with a power supply drawing from the case top and ejecting out back. I can even feel the warm air being ejected off the sides of the heatsink out the side vent of the case.

Did you OC the cpu at all, or is it really performing only as well as a stock cooler?

I'm happy you were able to post results, treefort, because the review posted in this thread compared temps against some HSFs I haven't heard of.

Here's the finished system, with build pics..
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1033729157&postcount=377

i did an oc today, + the fsb and brought it to 3.00 and ran Prime for 30 min and got temps in the 60-61c range..Really seemed to be no prob...If i had more info on the best way to oc the q9550 on the p5e-vm -hdmi (yea, i know there is a thread but i have read it and most people are running a q6600...on my last asus mobo ALL i needed to mess with was the fsb)

Russian review up: http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://www.fcenter.ru/cgi-bin/sitemanager/redirecturl.cgi%3Furlid%3D6072&ei=YM6kSfS2KNXLkAXjzOGuBQ&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=48&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Daxp-140%2Blanparty%26num%3D50%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG

More good numbers. Also, for those interested, gives an idea of lanparty jr compatibility. While it was installed in an ATX x48 motherboard, the spacing from the cpu socket to the memory slots appears to be very similar, if not the same. Only issue remaining is the NB heatsink height I suppose, I'll be ordering this one in the next week and will post pics after installation. I think that if the NB heatsink interferes I will just remove it, it is still connected via heatpipe to the heatsink at the rear of the board.

Back