AV123 elt525m

Christobevii3

Limp Gawd
I just ordered a set of these since my "desk" speakers have to be retired for room purely. I'm sick of having my desk in the living room next to the tv and would like the fronts on my surround sound in a more reasonable location.

I ordered the AV123 ELT525M set with a little digital amp as a free gift. Will these be adequate without a subwoofer? I usually just play music on them and use headphones when I'm gaming.

ELT525M
"desk" speakers

For music in a nearfield aka desktop they are aces. Especially with the Gismo which has a subwoofer out. A sub is not needed for music. For gaming and movies maybe if you want more bass.

The owner of av123 has these on his desk. That says enough I think lol.

For amplification what should I use?

I'll have or have:
Gizmo
Kenwood lower end 5.1 receiver and some basic multimedias that i could switch for a ghetto 5.1 for games and back to 2.0 for music
Sonic Impact T-amp

The speakers I had were giant 15" midwoofers and horn tweeters. They're were not really deep bassy but were a "full sound" that is hard to replicate. When you add a sub you get a more exaggerated bass that these didn't do but instead had a nice smooth sound.

gismo all day.

btw subs really differ.crappy sub = bloated boomy bass. for music something like the Energy 8" at audio advisor is a really good match for music. It's like $102 shipped.

Really? I saw that and it looks like a decent price. The mtx one on my home theater has been pretty good. I guess downward firing on the carpet helps.

Does anyone sell one that is rosewood that would match the other stuff?

how would this compare to the ascend CBM-170 SE ? I been looking for a pair of bookshelfs and can''t decide what to buy.

how would this compare to the ascend CBM-170 SE ? I been looking for a pair of bookshelfs and can''t decide what to buy.

Ascends have more bass and can be used in a larger setup than the ELTs. For nearfield use I think the ELTs will sound better for some types of music. For gaming the Ascends are the better speaker but cost quite a bit more? I saw $348 on their website vs $169 for the ELT.

You could get a dac or amp for the $$ you save with the ELTs. Or, they will sound dynamite with a small sub like that Energy and still cost less than the Ascends. Make sense?

Ascends have more bass and can be used in a larger setup than the ELTs. For nearfield use I think the ELTs will sound better for some types of music. For gaming the Ascends are the better speaker but cost quite a bit more? I saw $348 on their website vs $169 for the ELT.

You could get a dac or amp for the $$ you save with the ELTs. Or, they will sound dynamite with a small sub like that Energy and still cost less than the Ascends. Make sense?

The Ascends are on sale for $298 and free shipping. I have been doing some reading and came up with a list of what I think are some good speakers, I just need to choose which one to buy.

The list:

1. CBM-170 SE
2. SBS-01 Pair
3. Acculine A1
4. PSB Alpha B1 or PSB B25
5. AV123 ELT525M
6. Infinity Beta 20
7. JBL L820
8. Polk Audio RTi4
9. KEF iQ1
10. NHT SuperZero Xu
11. Wharfedale Diamond 8.1/9.1

which speaker do you guys think is the best? I also made a thread on avs hopefully I get some good feedback.

The elt525m's aren't on sale anymore but you get a nice dac included with it that is setup to use with a subwoofer, so you basically get $100 dac and speakers for $200 in the $300 price now. I think for the size they are about as good as I can get. The acculines tweeter seems too directional for a computer setup probably.

If you can wait a week or two and not worry about the sale (there should be more, but probably not for a month or two) I can tell you what I think.

Of those on your list, my favorites are:

Ascend CBM 170
PSB B25
KEF iQ10 (I almost bought the iQ30, but got a better price on the x-ls Encore)

Not on your list: x-ls Encore. I think the x-ls and x-cs have been discontinued by AV123. :(

The elt525m's aren't on sale anymore but you get a nice dac included with it that is setup to use with a subwoofer, so you basically get $100 dac and speakers for $200 in the $300 price now. I think for the size they are about as good as I can get. The acculines tweeter seems too directional for a computer setup probably.

If you can wait a week or two and not worry about the sale (there should be more, but probably not for a month or two) I can tell you what I think.

That is an amp that is included. As well as speaker cable. I can understand how you would think the dac is an amp with its size and name(Gizmo).

The Ascends are the best on your list. You should be able to get more for your $$ if you buy used off of audiogon or av123 forums, etc.

That really blows. Mark and his gang must be cooking up something to replace them.

Count on it. He has some digital monitors coming. They have 8" drivers and can be bought powered or not? I think. They probably hit really hard. They are around $900-$1300 I think.

They really need to bring in an X-LS type speaker soon though.

Powered monitors with 8" drivers??? Very intriguing and tempting... until I saw the price range. :eek: :eek: :eek:

For music in a nearfield aka desktop they are aces. Especially with the Gismo which has a subwoofer out. A sub is not needed for music. For gaming and movies maybe if you want more bass.

The owner of av123 has these on his desk. That says enough I think lol.

spaceman

Would these be comparable to some PSB Alpha B1s? I see some cosmetically damaged/full factory warranty models for $170. I would be using these for mostly music but also gaming/movies (they would be my main speakers) placed on top of a desk in a small room (10'x10'). thanks in advance.

I'm a big fan of PSB. If you can pick up a pair of Alphas (cosmetically damaged or not) for $170 with full warranty, ya better grab them before I do! ;)

I just ordered a set of these since my "desk" speakers have to be retired for room purely. I'm sick of having my desk in the living room next to the tv and would like the fronts on my surround sound in a more reasonable location.

I ordered the AV123 ELT525M set with a little digital amp as a free gift. Will these be adequate without a subwoofer? I usually just play music on them and use headphones when I'm gaming.

ELT525M
"desk" speakers

Its a matter of preferences. I found them to have more bass than expected and its very fast and accurate.
I would add a small subwoofer to complement it but thats from someone that loves bass. :D

Ordered a zero dac to go with the gizmo amp. Figure it would be a little better dac's than the ht omega striker I have. The speakers don't ship till the 19th so I'm ready for them to be here.

Yeah I was wanting to get the speaker/amp deal + zero dac... plus I could use headphone amp in zero for dt770pros-- although I don't think they need it it still would be nice to have. Total cost is just over $500 though... start to have many choices at that price.

Back