Source for 4 pin fan headers?

InvisiBill

2[H]4U
I'm working on changing the plug on a PWM fan from the standard 4 pin plug (to plug into a motherboard) to a smaller plug to match my video card. I have the parts for the video card plug sourced, and was planning to simply snip off the old connector and put on a new one. Since I have to buy a minimum quantity, I thought I might make some adapters for testing before I permanently change the fan (or possible sale if anyone else was interested in this sort of thing).

There are several brands' part numbers listed in http://www.formfactors.org/developer\specs\REV1_2_Public.pdf (section 4.1.5). The only one I had much luck with was the Molex 47053-1000 at Mouser. Unfortunately, they're not stocked and have a minimum order of 5450. At $0.282 each, that's still over $1500. Don't think I'd ever use that many...

I'm fine with soldering leads to the back of a PCB through-hole header like that, or the wire sockets like on Akasa PWM Splitter would work too. I haven't found a part number for the socket yet.

Anyone know of a good place to get a small number of these, like 10ish?

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what the different plugs are. Could you post some pics?

47053_bnft17p8_iso.jpg

This is the Molex 47053-1000. The same thing that you'd find on your motherboard to hook up your PWM CPU fan. Just a regular 4-pin header, which can also accept the older 3-pin fans. For my needs, I can just solder the wires to the bottom that would normally be in the motherboard. http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-65556269779593_2036_71033342 is basically a 3-pin version of what I'm thinking.

ak_cb002.jpg

This is the Akasa splitter. It's got three of the 4-pin sockets in the upper left corner of the pic (labelled "CPU Fan" and "Case Fan"). It also accepts a standard 4-pin PWM fan plug, but is made to be on the end of some wires rather than mounted on a PCB, and also has more of a shroud around the whole thing. They're basically the same as the fan plugs on this adapter, but 4-pin instead of 3.

I'm just looking for something, whether it's a header or a socket, that I can plug a 4-pin PWM fan into. Just to further clarify, the Akasa has one of these PWM fan plugs in the upper right corner of the pic, labelled "Connect to Motherboard".

It sounds like you're looking for the male plug, then. The pins are a simple 0.10" pitch, so you could use any .1" pin header to make the appropriate connector. If you use a plain pin header without the plastic, you'll have to make sure you plug it in the right way. I don't know where you'd find the "real" connector in small quantities, but you could modify this header to work, I think.

Back