1 Core @ 100%, no Processes in Use!

shackrock

Limp Gawd
Hey all. I'm having this really wierd problem...
In task manager my processes are using no cpu usage...aka System Idle is at 99%.
But, in the performance tab, one core is near 100 percent usage. It's the one on the right. I have no idea what's going on, maybe somebody has heard of this before? Googling hasn't really helped me here...

My specs:

* 1 x AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor Model ADH5050DOBOX - Retail
* 1 x ASUS M3N78-VM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
* 1 x A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1A16K - Retail
* 1 x Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EACS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

I am using this as an HTPC, and JUST installed windows a week ago, so I highly doubt I have a virus or anything already! I'm running trendmicro housecall on it right now though...

Go to the Performance tab, click view and check show kernel times

Is the graph all red? If so, then it's the kernel sucking up your CPU, if not, a process is doing that.

If it's a process, I'd re-examine the system for a virus / spyware, start w/ spybot & adaware

Yep, it is all red. I didn't even know that was an option in task manager...

so what is this from? Is it something I need to fix??

ok I downloaded process explorer.... it look slike all of the usage is coming from hardware interupts... Any way to narrow this down?

Had that problem once and ended up being the USB ports were hosed, XP was always trying to find drivers for a borked connection, hence the 100% load.

Had that problem once and ended up being the USB ports were hosed, XP was always trying to find drivers for a borked connection, hence the 100% load.

How'd you fix it? Just disable the USB port(s) that were bad?

Hm I found the problem. I disabled my ethernet driver in device manager ( NVIDIA NETWORK BUS ENUMERATOR" Of course, my network connection died, but the processor usage also went to 0%!! So, what does this mean? I have the latest driver from the Asus website...and no luck reinstalling there either....any ideas anyone?

Something like this was happening to me, and still is, and I, too, found out that it was my network connection that was working hard to stay connected to my wireless router. What I did was I went in and I found programs that were bandwidth hogs and turned them off.

One of the programs that was consuming bandwidth a lot and taking up my 3 cores to 100% all the time, was SETI.

Actually though, this happens when NOTHING should be accessing the net. Sure, maybe something is a bit here and there, but the computer is Idle, no network drives connected or anything... All that I have is the LAN cable hooked into a gigabit switch. So no wireless is being used either.

Ahh, okay.

Hmm....Maybe you can try and see what Services are running, and check to see which are the most power-hungry.

Log file below:

Code:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 4:31:53 PM, on 1/3/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16762)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\SOUNDGRAPH\iMON\iMON.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\VIA\VIAudioi\HDADeck\HDeck.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin32\nSvcIp.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin32\nSvcAppFlt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rdpclip.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\logonui.exe
C:\Program Files\TrueCrypt\TrueCrypt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\logon.scr
C:\Documents and Settings\HTPC\Desktop\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [amd_dc_opt] C:\Program Files\AMD\Dual-Core Optimizer\amd_dc_opt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iMON] C:\Program Files\SOUNDGRAPH\iMON\iMON.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools-1033] "C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe"  -lang 1033
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MediaPortal] C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe
O4 - Startup: HD ADeck.lnk = C:\Program Files\VIA\VIAudioi\HDADeck\HDeck.exe
O4 - Startup: MediaPortal.lnk = C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nvlsp.dll
O16 - DPF: {215B8138-A3CF-44C5-803F-8226143CFC0A} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.6) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/housecall/applet/html/native/x86/win32/activex/hcImpl.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1230171629296
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ForceWare Intelligent Application Manager (IAM) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin32\nSvcAppFlt.exe
O23 - Service: ForceWare IP service (nSvcIp) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin32\nSvcIp.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

--
End of file - 4524 bytes

Could it be a faulty driver? Faulty hardware?

Ok quick update now too. If I unplug the ethernet cable from my PC, the cpu usage drops to zero. As soon as I plug it in, one of the cores jumps back up to 100 again.

NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager is causing the problem more than likely, it is known to cause problems, just google around. Ill post a fix in <10 minutes, just stay tuned.

Edit: You should be fine uninstalling it, as your actual network driver will still exist. Just wanted to get that confirmed before I told you anything.

You should be able to uninstall the NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager from your Control Panel.

When did you notice this problem? Maybe a BIOS/chipset update will do the trick. Also look into your router (or endpoint device) and look over your configuration. Do you use a static IP or DHCP? If you are using one try going to the other (i.e. if your on DHCP try static, vice versa) hope this helps. If all else fails you could look into getting a PCI/PC-E gigabit adapter.

Yep restarted plenty...

For all I know this problem has always been here. But I just noticed it last week. Bios is all the way updated, and I'm using the latest Motherboard chipset drivers too.

Actually I have ATT Uverse... So we have a router that is 100Mbps. Then they gave us an 8-port Netgear Gigabit switch to plug everything that's on our network into.

I've tried plugging into both the router and the switch, and both cases yield the same results.

Please Run Another Scan and post, I have a feeling Nvidia's shitty Network Acess Manager is still running...

Scan is Below (2nd):
Code:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:42:37 PM, on 1/3/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16762)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\SOUNDGRAPH\iMON\iMON.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe
C:\Program Files\VIA\VIAudioi\HDADeck\HDeck.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rdpclip.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\logonui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\HTPC\Desktop\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [amd_dc_opt] C:\Program Files\AMD\Dual-Core Optimizer\amd_dc_opt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iMON] C:\Program Files\SOUNDGRAPH\iMON\iMON.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools-1033] "C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe"  -lang 1033
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - Startup: HD ADeck.lnk = C:\Program Files\VIA\VIAudioi\HDADeck\HDeck.exe
O4 - Startup: MediaPortal.lnk = C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
O16 - DPF: {215B8138-A3CF-44C5-803F-8226143CFC0A} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.6) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/housecall/applet/html/native/x86/win32/activex/hcImpl.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1230171629296
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

--
End of file - 3372 bytes

DO NOT DO THIS IN HIJACKTHIS
Ctrl+Alt+Delete and in Task Manager End this process

See if the problem ceases when that is not running.

DO NOT DO THIS IN HIJACKTHIS
Ctrl+Alt+Delete and in Task Manager End this process

See if the problem ceases when that is not running.

Actually that processes isn't even in the Task Manager....actually I don't see anything nvidia related in there at all.

Also, I see that it looks like that process is a service... and the service is NOT STARTED, but it is set to AUTOMATIC

Im stumped, but I'm almost certain its a trace of that worthless POS Network Access Manager that if causing you problems.

Yeah... Bummer I guess if I don't find a cure here in the next few days I'll just go buy a gigabit NIC from microcenter or something...hate to spend more cash though. I picked this board for the "all in one" solution! ha.

Incase anyone was interested:

I never did find a fix for this issue.
I think it is a hardware error, and would need to replace the MOBO to fix it.

I purchased an e-pci gigabit card for $20 from newegg, installed the drivers, disabled the onboard NIC, and now have no more proccessor use problems.
It has cleared up a lot of other random problems I noticed as well. Finally I am also getting much faster transfer rates in my home network!

Thanks all for the help!

I had the same problems with an MSI motherboard and Athlon 64 3400+, everyone kept saying it was spyware, adware... etc. Eventually I narrowed it down to Nvidia's IDE drivers on my nforce board I had to do a full, slow ntfs reformat.

But it worked and my cpu quit spiking to 100% no matter what application was opened or working at the time.

I know for a fact it was linked to something Nvidia, as I had a similar problem. I forgot exactly what I did, but it was something to do with the Network Access Manager.

yeah the only thing i didnt try was a reformat. I don't want to, because I don't have a cd drive at the moment. haha.

Back